The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Controlling an audience? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

magic chef
View Profile
New user
5 Posts

Profile of magic chef
I have been perfoming a fairly basic but very effective trick by simon lovell called "fingered" basically its a transposition of a card in the hands of a spectator. After showing what is apparently the top card but a DL and asking them to place their hand flat, I place the card and ask them to put their other hand on top.
I then show another two cards in turn reversing one etc. Finally building up the suspense asking them "what do you think this reversed card is?" Hopefully they say my card and then you hit em with "NO its the card you thought your were holding" they look at the card in their hand hey presto!
Right, now I've bored you all to death, heres my problem. How do you get people to stop looking at their card!!! too early as this ruins the big wammy at the end. Apart from saying hold your hand put this on top etc I am reluctant to say things like " don't YOU DARE LOOK AT THAT CARD YET!!" Im sure you get my drift.
Any ideas?

Finally my name is magic chef not nagic chef but I made a typo haow do I corretc it?
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
The answer to this question is that you spectator will not look at their card if you do not want them to. It is simply audience management. You have to convey through your gestures and actions that you are the performer and you are in control, but you have to do this in a totally non-threatening way. It can also help to say things like "Make sure you hold that tight so there's no way I'd be able to get to it." Or you can put the card on the table and have someone put their hand on top of the card on the table, which makes it very unlikely that they'll turn over the card.

My final suggestion refers to the action of utilizing a DL: I have seen too many magicians focus all their attention on the cards as they execute a DL. What's the big deal? Turn over the card casually as you patter and continue to make eye contact with the audience, and then ask for their outstretched hand as you turn it back over, place it in their hand and move on. Pay no attention to this entire action because there shouldn't be anything to pay attention to anyway. I hope that made sense and was somewhat helpful. Let me know if you need clarification or further help.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2827 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2006-12-07 09:59, nagic chef wrote:
I
Finally my name is magic chef not nagic chef but I made a typo haow do I corretc it?

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......50&8

Check this thread out my magical friend...
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
scooter magic
View Profile
New user
Fredricksburg, VA
73 Posts

Profile of scooter magic
It is turly mangegment of your croud a something I've used once or twise is saying "before you look look at the card" and place lightly press my hand on the top of card. This gives the jesture DON'T LOOK AT THE CARD. Nine times out of ten the spectator is to distracted at that point to look at that card unless they have there heart set on looking at the card that very secound. how often does that happen? good luck.
Ashley
Ashley Taggert
moving up in the world of magic
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Whoa. Spellcheck, scooter magic, is a wonderful thing.

My two cents: If you don't want the audience to look at the card, give them something else to look at. Misdirection, my friend. If you've got nothing else, bust out a bad joke, apologize profusely, and use the awkward pause that ensues to do whatever that needs to be done Smile
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
You need to educate the spectator. One way of doing so, is to demonstrate what you will do in a second. Usually they will follow and mimic your handling. It always works fine for me and I have pulled of some pretty blunt stuff this way.

Just putting a card in a spectators palm is misleading, as they might not know what is expected.

Andy
Cards never lie
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

"Instead of being content on concealing, adopt an attitude of revealing." - Jay Sankey

What this quote means is that the term "misdirection" can actually carry the connotation of unfocus instead of focus. Instead of trying to direct an audience's attention AWAY from the thing that you're hiding, direct it TOWARDS something else. So if you don't want their attention on the card you placed down, focus your attention, and in turn their attention, on what you are about to do that does not involve that card. This goes for any use of misdirection.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
QFT
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Was that in reference to my post? I can clarify what I meant if you need - I understand that might have read a little confusing.
abc
View Profile
Inner circle
South African in Taiwan
1081 Posts

Profile of abc
I have done magic for more than 15 years and that occasionally still happens and more often than I would like to admit purely because you become lazy or arrogant. Why do they look at the card? Because they think it may be the card they chose or because they want to conform what card it is.
Or maybe other reasons but I think these are the two main reasons.
Why would they think it is the card they chose. Because you didn't control the situation by "discarding" the card they are holding. I try to put the card in their hand and move on as if the card doesn't really matter and then a few seconds later say "OK hold on to that card TIGHTLY" That way they expect it to still be the same card and they do not need to check. You can also say that immediately when you give it to them but try to take the focus of it.
Secondly if you want them to remember the name of the card they are holdong stress it on the DL and not afterwards. So for instance say "Your card is the 2 ...OF ... Hearts" and then they say NO. Then you say "Are you sure it is not the 2 of hearts. They say yes. You say so itis the 2 hearts and they say no I meant yes to you saying no. You say si it isn't the 2 of hearts. etc. Fast paced but short. Later there is no need for them to check they know it is the 2 of hearts.
Hope this helps.
BCaldwell
View Profile
Special user
is really regretting his
524 Posts

Profile of BCaldwell
Quote:
On 2006-12-08 01:11, BrianMillerMagic wrote:
"Instead of being content on concealing, adopt an attitude of revealing." - Jay Sankey

What this quote means is that the term "misdirection" can actually carry the connotation of unfocus instead of focus. Instead of trying to direct an audience's attention AWAY from the thing that you're hiding, direct it TOWARDS something else. So if you don't want their attention on the card you placed down, focus your attention, and in turn their attention, on what you are about to do that does not involve that card. This goes for any use of misdirection.

IMO this is one of the most important things a new (and sometimes "experienced") magician's can learn regarding Audience Management. Keep spreading the good word, Brian! Smile
"...that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller Smile

~Bob~
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
Sorry, Brian. QFT was a reply to your post, meaning "Quote for Truth"
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
CT
2050 Posts

Oh okay ToasterofDoom - sorry I hadn't seen that before. Thanks for the clarification.

"IMO this is one of the most important things a new (and sometimes "experienced") magician's can learn regarding Audience Management. Keep spreading the good word, Brian!"

Thanks Bob, and I sure will!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Controlling an audience? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL