The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Higley-Zibbers...Do you allow photos? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
? What is your stance on the folks taking pictures?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
I wouldnt let them. That could mean less views from other people. And if your treating them as ancient artifacts, you wont want a flash of light which could harm it.
I don't have mine yet, but I plan on having a NO PHOTO rule for ALL viewers.
but I might use an outline for the paper and or posters.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
I get this question in an eMail once in awhile.

It's the PHONE cameras though that could affect the take...some one goes in and phones the picture to those outside...however I have heard that works positive too and those outside cant wait to see it! Or not. Best bet is NOT make a big deal about it. Just put a little sign next to the Zibit that says No Photos Please. If they do, they do...dont make an issue. Not worth the beef and there is a question of whether it matters or not to the reciepts.

A peper in the UK printed a full clear shot of the Zibit there in Hull and the crowds turned out in force after it ran! So who is to say. Put the sign up and leave it at that. If you are not having the problem don't put up any sign.

As to Ancient exhibits...I kind of do not agree with that unless they are SUPPOSED to be ancient like some Egyptian Mummy or whatever.

The Zibits as I make them are not portrayed as or supposed to be Ancient...they are not portrayed as any specific period of time. In fact it's a Blind Pitch so not an issue. I make them to look like a RECENT or sometimes a 'Fresh Kill' and NOT ancient for a very specific reason. That reason I would rather leave to those who are my customers so that the wannabees don't have more of my info to steal and help sell their stuff on ebay to the public.
Higley's Doug's Museum
aggieman
View Profile
Loyal user
galveston, tx
207 Posts

Profile of aggieman
Quote:

As to Ancient exhibits...I kind of do not agree with that unless they are SUPPOSED to be ancient like some Egyptian Mummy or whatever.

The Zibits as I make them are not portrayed as or supposed to be Ancient...they are not portrayed as any specific period of time. In fact it's a Blind Pitch so not an issue. I make them to look like a RECENT or sometimes a 'Fresh Kill' and NOT ancient for a very specific reason. That reason I would rather leave to those who are my customers so that the wannabees don't have more of my info to steal and help sell their stuff on ebay to the public.

that's what I was going at, if one had a zibit that was made to be one. It was just a thought at the moment.
I heard some one aks you about mummys so that came to mind. When I visited the mummies and tombs they didn't allow flash photos.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Yeah...not a good idea...anything can disrupt the mummy's constitution. Whether a Flash has any detrimental affect remains open. I don't buy it myself. Now a blast from an air cannon maybe...
Higley's Doug's Museum
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Repeated exposure to UV light from flash cameras WILL degrade most pigments in hand ground paint, which is why it is seriously looked down upon at museums. When we were in Amsterdam we went to the Rembrandt house where he lived and made his art. No flash photography! Get's you kicked out (not me, I was having too much fun following the rules while under the effects of certain fungi). There's even a room where he ground and mixed pigments. Now the after effects of having a 'zib photo published seems to have quite a nice turnout. Besides, with todays modern materials and Dougs miraculous ability to conjure up a new 'zib, flash photography is not an issue.
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
handa
View Profile
Inner circle
Pittsburgh, PA
1346 Posts

Profile of handa
I haven't had the problem w/ the camera phones. In each case that I've been set up, I've had pretty tight control regarding proximity and haven't given people a chance to whip out a camera phone.

As for people with cameras who ask, I explain that the artist and I have an agreement that went with the commissioning of the piece: no published photos, especially via any electronic medium. AFAIK, this has kept photos in private collections and off of blogs, etc. that I don't control.

Chris
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
This moment is the first I've ever thought of Doug and Rembrandt in the same sentence. Much as I love the work of each, I hope it doesn't happen too often, in the future.

Each brings me to tears. I've sat for hours, looking at Rembrandts, and will probably do so again. Rembrandt, though, doesn't make the tears run down my leg, howling with glee. Each contibutes its own kind of truth to the world.

There are different standards by which we look at indoor and outdoor exhibition. In museums, we're not allowed to take pictures...degradation of the art...copyright violation, etc. But it also encourages ticket sales...if you want to see a Rembrandt, you have to pay to get into the museum.

But if you went to a petting zoo, and they said "Don't touch the animals, or take pictures", nobody would go in.

I think, not allowing pictures, gives a certain kind of credibility to the zibit...a kind of mystique. But if you're doing a single-o, you probably don't have the manpower to enforce such a rule. The goal is to take money home. So if you put up a "no photography" sign, that contributes to the image you want the audience to perceive. But it's not worth the effort, to make a big deal about it, with the marks.

And as mentioned above, by people with far more experience than I have with zibits, it can become good advertising.

Video is another story. I'd love to see a news clip about a zibit, where the camera was behind the zibit, looking at the faces of the marks. I wouldn't allow a shot of the zibit, just the faces and reactions. That would be beautiful.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
thegreatnippulini
View Profile
Inner circle
of Hell because I've made
2589 Posts

Profile of thegreatnippulini
Well, at the Rembrandt house (quite different from the Higley house, I'm sure) they DID allow non-flash photography. Good thing in the digital age, huh? Same thing at the Rijchts museum.

Oops! I mentioned Doug and Rembrandt in the same sentence again!
The Great Nippulini: body piercer, Guinness World Record holder, blacksmith and man with The World's Strongest Nipples! Does the WORLD care? We shall see...
http://www.greatnippulini.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Who's Rembrandt?

Geez...I can't believe I said that.

Yes I can.

Well we do have things in common. Just one is that both of us were displayed in Buckingham Palace. And one of my Mers toured the Paris Museums. I don't think he liked Fruity Pebbles though or had a daily craving for Jif Peanut Butter on Rye.

Other than that...
Higley's Doug's Museum
Harley Newman
View Profile
Inner circle
5107 Posts

Profile of Harley Newman
Of course he didn't like those things. He's even older than you, and they hadn't been invented yet! But I'm sure he would've liked them.
“You can’t depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus” -Mark Twain

www.bladewalker.com
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
No one is older than me. He must be dead.

Yes...I know he's dead. Geez.

But Peanut Butter and sweetened cereal were said to have been invented (simultaneously!!) in 1087 in Dukessdrafferburgenhabbercross (North of Germany somewhere).
Of course this ignores the facts! That Fruity Pebbles actually originated in the time of Fred Flintstone which was a bit before that. (Unless you are of a certain religious persuasion.) In fact Jif came about in a similar time period when a strong adhesive was thought to be needed to prevent the massive Fire Flies from landing in the front yard of the Cave. According to Melchoirs Concordance, by 1087 thay had realized that the 'Fire Flies' were really Stars and didn't bite. This was argued against by the priesthood because a large portion of income was derived from selling gigantic Fly Swatters emblazoned with certain religious symbols. Eventually they relented and determined that Stars could be profitable as well and along with Fruity Pebbles and Jif Peanut butter they invented Astrology. But that's another story...
Higley's Doug's Museum
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
As Doug said above, it did no harm when a newspaper here snuck in the museum took pictures and printed them...

Infact more people came...

I have also come across other pictures of 'Little Doug' on blogs etc, for example this one:

http://journals.aol.co.uk/bradleyc25/Bra......ries/451

The guy says it looks real to him, there are still forums discussing the ramifications of such a creature, long after the exhibition, and despite many clues left as to its real origins...

All publicity is good publicity...

Corona.
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Those pictures on the web are really bad.

I notice the flash has really glossed it up. If the Zibit has become that 'shiny' there is an easy solution just eMail me. There was a product I used, (that I have found a replacement for) that sometimes would get glossy in the heat. I don't use that any more but there is a fix for you to do if it occurs. I keep all my methods and secrets off the Café and my site for obvious reasons so fire me an email IF it's a problem.
Higley's Doug's Museum
abigkahuna
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna
We have a no photo sign along as you enter as well as next to the exhibit. The one next to the exhibits are noticeable, yet non-evasive ... If folks ask about photos, I just say, its part of the agreements we have with (the state, the fair the rancher, whoever pops into my mind)...just about all folks nod in agreement, Every once in a while wqe have someone try and take a photo and we ask them to erase it...

I used to get all hyped up about it and chase people with two by fours down the midway.... Now I just take it in stride...

I might hook up a video camera I have with a monitor out front to let folks see other folks' reaction....

Then again, I like to keep my slough down to a small roar as it is, with the other booth it takes 4-5 hours...
Jeez its supposed to get easier and lighter when you get older.

Hey anyone going to the WFA converntion in Reno in January?

abigkahuna
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
Kahuna- I'll be there, as will Ernie and Mary Guderjahn, Frank Thurston, Al Herrin hopefully, and a host of other west-coast entertainers.

If we meet up, I'll have pix of my world's Smallest Blade Box you might get a kick out of...also known as the Dalu Casket, The Mayan Marvel and whatever else I name it day by day. Did 150 shows last season with it and am featuring it on my new Magic Stage.

Where do you work with the 'Zibb on the west coast??
Kondini
View Profile
Inner circle
3607 Posts

Profile of Kondini
My own take on this ,,,, Attitude to pics taken will depend on whether or not its your sole income. Zibbits over the past season have been %50 of my income, I still have Taxes and a mortgage to meet so can not afford to let freebies loose.

The cure,,,,,there isn`t one.

We have tried signs on the outside as well as back up ones on the inside.
Threats to take camera`s away from offenders have caused hostility.
So at the end of the day it`s just a bug in the biz which we have to put up with.

To allow openly would be stupid as the signs on the outside "Strange Thing" etc would lose its attraction (Who would wish to pay to see something which has been shown / exposed in the local press) The wonderment which people should pay for would not excist.

It`s the fact of not knowing which makes the bucks.

After many different approaches the following works best for us.

Make up a large sign

" Due to electronic apparatus used in the preservation of the unusual exhibits on the inside, the management has to point out that damage could be done to your mobile phone rendering the handset completely useless. We can take NO responsibility for such damage caused, and suggest you leave your phone outside of the booth or at VERY least turn it off.

BS maybe,,,, but it works %99 of the time for us.

To add a running light cable with flashing unit around the edge of the zibb tables complete with a smaller warning sign will add to the lie!!!!

Only doing this for a liveing will the problems be solved,,, the above has taken much trial and error over the past four months.

Ken
abigkahuna
View Profile
New user
37 Posts

Profile of abigkahuna
Hi Tom,

met Ernie at the AZ State Fair, but have seen him over the years out here on the west coast. Al we have known for years. Saw his this past May in Cotonwood. He's finally getting back out again. Met Frank this year...was it Colusa?

Yeah we have been working the zibits up and down the west coast since last year. This year we had great success and for 2007 Doug is making me somthing very special.

We will have a booth at the Reno show....just a smal thing. Nothing to elabortate. A banner in the back and a couple of tables and chairs...pass out dvd's of our booths to fair managers, that sort of thing.

Need to get our name out there before Higs' Zibs start appearing on every corner..

Look for Anerica's Smallest Travelling Museum --I am the Professor...

ciao

abigkahuna
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
I'll see you there. My new brochures should be cool, now that I can put pix of the Blade Box on them

I don't know if you knew Rick Fatland. He and Judie ran Viking Agency. Rick just passed away after a surgury, at the end of this season. He'd/they'd booked all us crowd for 25 years, I think, up and down the west coast. Terry Stokes, all the bands, the magicians, jugglers, clowns, ran the University of Fun and kept all our heads above water season after season.

It occurred to me that this had maybe not been announced or mentioned on the Café for the benefit of the other entertainers across country... There'll be a memorial presentation at the WFA convention. Fair Entertainers from all over the country have been hired by them. He was trmendously loved by the industry, from the top management to the Grounds crew (where he was most comfortable). Tough loss. Judie is continuing the business.

Anyway, see ya there, can't wait. Another season! Wheeze....
Doug Higley
View Profile
V.I.P.
Here and There
7168 Posts

Profile of Doug Higley
Back to the original thread...ahem...(clears throat)

Just got a call from a 'Zibiter' who did a test this weekend at a GROCERY store!
His little show was outside the store of all places. He said the fact that almost every one who initially came in(kids mostly) had a phone camera...took a picture and ran promptly in the store to show the family who then came out and bought admission. Camera phones take crappy pictures of a display so it has to work in your favor if that is the case. he said that in a few cases cares would pull up and double park so the driver could get out and see for him/her self what the kid had showed them in the picture.

Take it how you will but that's a telling phone call!
Higley's Doug's Museum
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Believe it or not... » » Higley-Zibbers...Do you allow photos? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL