The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Apocalypto: Violent, Action Packed Thriller (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Just saw Apocalypto, and even though it is subtitled, it is a good movie about survival. It sets the stage for a happy culture, suddenly interrupted, and captured. There is lots of blood and gore, fighting and tears for the loss of family members.

You won't get bored, the chase scene is one of the best. If you liked the Patriot, Braveheart, and understoode the violent times of period in The Passions, you will like this movie.

As Mel Gibson pointed out, First entertain, Second, educate, and Third leave them with something to think about at a higher level of understanding, do this with heart a stopping action thriller and you have a good movie.
Dennis Michael
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Saw it today...

I liked it! I honestly went in to it planning to be disappointed - but was very pleasantly surprised!

Not to give anything away - but I almost felt like it was a "Rocky" story set in ancient Mayan times. You really begin to root for the underdog don't you?!

BTW, If blood bothers you, wait for the sanitized version to show up on TV in a few years.

Lyndel
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
Subtitles.....
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
Payne
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle
4572 Posts

Profile of Payne
I'm going to wait for video so that the gore factor will be reduced to a more manageable level on the smaller screen. I really want to see the recreated Mayan culture and am really hoping that it is a lot more accurate than his silly historical fantasies of Braveheart and The Patriot.
"America's Foremost Satirical Magician" -- Jeff McBride.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
I'm not an expert by any means, but from what I do know, the recreation of the Mayan culture was pretty dead on accurate.

My wife and I had an opportunity to go to Mexico a few years back and visited the Mayan pyramid ruins at Chichen Itza. Until I saw this movie, I had no idea what they used these pyramids for... and to think I sat on those steps... YEESH!

Lyndel
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I think it was Steve McQueen who said, "less talk, more action" is a key to a successful movie.

I did not find the subtitles annoying as I did in that "Flying Dragon" movie. The wording is well selected easy to understand and short in content. The faces and the interactions tell the whole story.

Realism seem to be the what Gibson strived to make, not like the older movies where everyone spoke English (The Germans, Indians, Kung Foo Masters, etc.)

Having slept last night, after this movie, I found my dreams rehearsing what I saw. This is usually an idication the third element in Gibson movie method had succeeded. It left me thinking about a culture that I knew little about.

Would I see it again, yes, in the theater, NO that means it rates a four out of a five in my system of movie rating, but I will buy the DVD ans see it in my own home surround sound theater.

1. Talking to myself about the waste of money.
2. Saw it once and that's enough
3. Will rent the DVD and see it again.
4. Will see it several times over the years, and buy the DVD.
5. Will see it again on the big screen because it was that good, and buy the DVD.
Dennis Michael
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Hey Dennis,

Looks like we're not the only two people who enjoyed it. It's still #1 at the box office!

Lyndel
Joey Stalin
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1077 Posts

Profile of Joey Stalin
It was very good. And it didn't seem as long as it actually is. Unlike that blasted LOTR: return of the king
-A single death is a tragedy, a million deaths is a statistic.
-It is easier to fight for one's principles than to live up to them.
-The secret impresses no one. The trick you use it for is everything.

See you space cowboy...
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Apocalypto: Violent, Action Packed Thriller (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.09 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL