The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Tossed Out Deck Info Please (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
Without giving away the method is there a big difference in the following tossed out decks, Gazzo, Regal, Fisher and are the others available?
Thanks,
Mike
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4824 Posts

Profile of Dave V
You forgot Hoy. Gazzo's is essentially Hoy's TOD with some added handling. That's not saying it's not good. It is.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
David Regal
View Profile
V.I.P.
828 Posts

Profile of David Regal
My tossed-out deck, "In Flight" allows the deck to be spectator examined and shuffled prior to the deck going out into the audience. My aim was to produce a sensation of total conviction that all was on the up & up before the effect occured, the idea being to create a strong feeling of "NO &#%@* WAY..." when the minds are "read". Aside from that addition, I essentially perform the tossed-out deck as it has been done for years - but I should add that Wayne Dobson gave me permission to include his very clever technique in regard to calling out the selections.

It ain't bad. I performed "In Flight" in my lecture at the International Magic convention in England a couple of weeks ago. I then EXPLAINED HOW THE DECK WORKS, and offered them for sale (they are not complicated, but not cheap), and I sold out.
qichi
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
123 Posts

Profile of qichi
Do you guys ever feel like you're not getting enough out of the Tossed Out Deck? I mean to say...that while it hits hard enough in affect, the routine tends to flyby so quickly...sometimes I just wish there was more to be milked from the presentation.

Or maybe TOD's bound to be a stepping stone forever...
"There is no art: things are made for use." Antonin Artaud
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
776 Posts

Profile of Snidini
Qichi, if you feel you're not getting enough out of the tossed out deck, you should look into Bruce Bernstein's routine for the TOD. I believe it called PSI deck?

Snidini
mysticalmike
View Profile
Special user
Saratoga Springs, NY
509 Posts

Profile of mysticalmike
All I am trying to find out is the difference of each that all I don't want to know how they are done. Do all of them use the same method or what?
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Mike .... where in In Flight advertised? I'm looking to toss a deck in the audience where 2 cards can be looked at and revealed. Very straight foward. If necessary, I can have a spectator come up and confirm the deck.
jake g
Picard
View Profile
Elite user
412 Posts

Profile of Picard
Quote:
On 2006-12-08 23:55, mysticalmike wrote:
Without giving away the method is there a big difference in the following tossed out decks, Gazzo, Regal, Fisher and are the others available?
Thanks,
Mike

"Different kind of tossed out deck" from http://www.falsecuts.com is a good one.
Larry Davidson
View Profile
Inner circle
Boynton Beach, FL
5270 Posts

Profile of Larry Davidson
Quote:
On 2006-12-13 18:42, qichi wrote:
"...the routine tends to flyby so quickly...sometimes I just wish there was more to be milked from the presentation...."

Check out Wayne Dobson's solution.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello:

Yes, Larry is right about Wayne Dobson. He explains his routine on his "Unclamped" DVD, and he shows how to maximize the audience response. It does make it so the effect is not over so quickly.

Ron
paisa23
View Profile
Inner circle
7293 Posts

Profile of paisa23
A lot of info in this thread. Thanks a lot fellas.
bitterman
View Profile
Inner circle
1189 Posts

Profile of bitterman
Quote:
On 2006-12-13 18:42, qichi wrote:
Do you guys ever feel like you're not getting enough out of the Tossed Out Deck? I mean to say...that while it hits hard enough in affect, the routine tends to flyby so quickly...sometimes I just wish there was more to be milked from the presentation.

Or maybe TOD's bound to be a stepping stone forever...

Check out John Archer's version on his Educating Archer DVD. He gets some good milage out of it.
If you are not cheating, you are only cheating yourself.

Dutchco is about to put out some new Ebook: DUTCHCO. Get 'em while you can.
Jlowhy
View Profile
Regular user
158 Posts

Profile of Jlowhy
I have John Archer's version of the TOD but haven't had any exposure to other TOD versions. I'll like to ask that for other versions of TOD, are there any that actually use a specially produced deck of cards with a special mechanism or is the difference mainly in the presentation and handling? Thanks.
ChristopherM
View Profile
Special user
UK
844 Posts

Profile of ChristopherM
There are both, and a few other methods to achieve the effect too.
DonHendrix
View Profile
New user
20 Posts

Profile of DonHendrix
Gazzo's tossed out deck is NOT the tossed out deck. What he has added is a great ending, but it is not the same trick. The ending depends on a card that is selected from a deck that is not "tossed out". In my opinion, this makes it a differnet effect. Archer and Dobson's routines are true tossed out deck routines. Also, the description of Gazzo's that is in all of the ads is deceptive, as is the video demo. It is a great trick, but it is not the traditional tossed out deck.
adramindmagic
View Profile
Regular user
East St. Louis
106 Posts

Profile of adramindmagic
There's also the Cassandra deck and the Outlaw deck. Both can be examined.
I love magic!
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
Hoy's is simple, effective, and one of the grandaddy TOD routines.

I strongly reccomend you spend $3.95 (I can't believe that price!) for the wonderfully presented Hoy TOD routine from:
http://www.trickshop.com/tossed_out_deck.html

I've ordered quite a few items from these guys and every single one of them has been killer.

When you read Hoy's TOD, you're reading one of the core principles of a lot of mentalisim routines.
The routine is deadly, but remember that the Hoy routine depends as much on your presentation and spectator management skills as it does on the mechanics of the effect.
Grampa Wizard
View Profile
New user
93 Posts

Profile of Grampa Wizard
And there is Devin Knight's Outta Sight. A clever combo of principles. And as always his instructions, patter, and presentation are very well thought out and well-detailed. Like In Flight this deck can be shuffled, even spread by a spectator, but since I don't have In Flight, I don't know the differences in principles employed.
BryanKelly
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of BryanKelly
I am currently performing the same research as OP.

I found this thread of a comparison between the Octopus Deck and the Versatile Tossed Out Deck which is relavent: http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=109

The only TOD I'm familiar with is the Gazzo Deck. He is open about it basically being Hoy deck (with a small change) but I would agree with DonHendrix that the advertisement is a little misleading and his routine isn't purely a tossed out deck. But the live performances contained in the DVD are well worth the price.

I think I'm going to try the Octopus Deck next. Unless someone can convince me otherwise.
squando
View Profile
Elite user
444 Posts

Profile of squando
What are your thoughts on the Octopus Deck?
Frank
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Tossed Out Deck Info Please (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL