The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Which watch to wear? (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
I heard that the Rolex watch isn't the status symbol as it once was. Which watch is the IN thing to wear now?

Best
Ray
danielrmk
View Profile
Regular user
200 Posts

Profile of danielrmk
Omega?
Ulysse Nardin?
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Yep, Rolex just doesn't have the same value anymore... I bought one for 25 bucks on a trip to Washington DC from a street vendor one block from the FBI building (true story). Turns out the thing was fake! Smile

In answer to your question though... Check out Patek Philippe, Vacheron Constantin, and Girard-Perregaux.

Lyndel
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Lyndel,
Thanks for the information. I will buy two and give you one....... MOT!

See you Monday night... Ho Ho HO....

Best
Ray
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
Rolex is ALWAYS in style. The Datejust, Datejust Turnograph, GMT II, Daytonas etc are all great looking watches. As far as status, the name is still more recognized than say Patek Phillipe and Breguet which both make more expensive watches.

If you want a timepiece as a status symbol, you may be better off with a $4000 GMT II than a $17,000 Patek Phillipe, if the people you are trying to impress have no idea what a Patek Phillipe is. How would you feel if you were flashing a $10,000 dollar Vacheron Constantin and someone says "That's nice, but it's not a Rolex." LOL!
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Good point there Vandy Grift. That would bite, to be wearing a $$$$$$watch and have someone say that!

Best
Ray
Daniel Faith
View Profile
Inner circle
Neenah, Wisconsin
1526 Posts

Profile of Daniel Faith
Do people really care what kind of watch you are wearing?
Daniel Faith
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2006-12-13 08:46, Daniel Faith wrote:
Do people really care what kind of watch you are wearing?

Depends on the level of client you work for... If your main clientelle is birthday parties - probably not. If you're doing more corporate and private work for very affluent clients - I think that they would be more likely to notice...

Lyndel
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Things like caring what kind of watch a fellow wears, and or relating that to who a person is or that it matters one whit about a performance lead me on a fast track away from such people.

Choose not to wear a watch and let, "Hey, what time is it?", be a lead in to even more vocalizations.
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Jerrine,
I think you missed the point and the market in which I am aiming. If this works for you that is really great! But if I was to say "Hey, what time is it?" it may be taken as, "Look at this guy, he can't even afford a watch. His magic must really be PAYING off! Maybe we need to find someone else to do the event."

Best
Ray
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Only one thing: never wear a digital watch.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Quote:
On 2006-12-14 08:37, thoughtsexplorer wrote:
Only one thing: never wear a digital watch.

Never say never...

Check out The 2006 Holiday Buyer’s Guide for Geek Watches:

http://crunchgear.com/2006/12/11/2006-ho......watches/

Maybe not high dollar watches, but some of them are pretty darn cool! Even the digital ones...

Lyndel
Jerrine
View Profile
Special user
Busking is work.
629 Posts

Profile of Jerrine
Hey Ray,

I get the point and totally understand the market you are going for and probably should have kept my mouth shut. My post was not helpful at all. I grew up surrounded by very great wealth and became sick of all the materialism and people wrapped up in who's wearing what and where they live and what they drive. I seldom miss a chance to point out how silly it is to judge a persons character or skills on such things. I don't think it is a bad thing for you to want to succeed in your chosen market and wish you much happiness in that pursuit.

By the way...what time is it? Smile
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Jerrine
I agree 100% with what you are saying! I will also say that this is a silly thing to even talk about. But, that is how this class of people think and act. Everything is a dog and pony show!

Best
Ray
Darkfrog
View Profile
Regular user
137 Posts

Profile of Darkfrog
You won't spend much but will get a lot of use out of one of these
abrell
View Profile
Loyal user
Remscheid, Germany
284 Posts

Profile of abrell
Hey - a watch is a prop and part of your costume! Wear a digital watch when doing science fiction magic, wear a Tommy Wonder watch when showing his "Watch, wallet and money", wear a plastic toy watch when doing magic for children - and appear with smoke and flash inside an empty grandfathers pendulum watch at the 12th strike when you perform bizarre magic!
pepka
View Profile
Inner circle
Uh, I'm the one on the right.
5041 Posts

Profile of pepka
The only time I wear a watch is when I'm performing or dressed up a little. Otherwise, it always bothers me. I don't see how guys wear these HUGE hubcap size wristwatches. I collect watches from a company called Skagen. They look very classy and are wafer thin. I have 5 or 6 and they always draw compliments from people.

http://www.skagen.com
marty.sasaki
View Profile
Inner circle
1117 Posts

Profile of marty.sasaki
I have a friend who has an antique pocket watch given to him by his father in law. It fits his personality, is a beautiful thing and draws attention. He has a story to tell about it as well, and pocket watches are rare enough that it is unique.
Marty Sasaki
Arlington, Massachusetts, USA

Standard disclaimer: I'm just a hobbyist who enjoys occasionally mystifying friends and family, so my opinions should be viewed with this in mind.
Stanyon
View Profile
Inner circle
Landrum, S.C. by way of Chicago
3433 Posts

Profile of Stanyon
I've got a 32 year old OMEGA automatic that I'm going to send in for R&R soon. Blue face, real classy looking.

Cheers! Smile
Stanyon

aka Steve Taylor

"Every move a move!"

"If you've enjoyed my performance half as much as I've enjoyed performing for you, then you've enjoyed it twice as much as me!"
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Mine is a Kenneth Cole silver analog with a black leather strap. Very classy looking that will fit in with everything I wear. Besides its a gift from my wife and has a lot of semtimental value.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The clothes we wear » » Which watch to wear? (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL