The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Linking Rings - handling (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I have never felt confident in the handling of the linking rings. I enjoy the routines and would hate the make my handling of them into an expose. Does anyone know of a good dvd (or book) that has the nuances of the actual linking and unlinking?
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
Richard Ross routine is amongst the most elegant and flowing. Stevens has his ring work on a DVD/videotape.
http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=5679

Stevens also has a “teach-in” DVD just on the rings. Check it out at:
http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=5605

Chris Capehart has one of the best three ring routines out there. It was designed for the street (busking). It is probably one of the best start points to give a commercial and magical routine. It is also in DVD form.
http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=006169

Whit Hayden’s four ring routine is interactive, fun, and magical. It is another great start point to learn the rings. Also in DVD/video.
http://www.chefanton.com/scoundrelsstore/order_info.htm

Jim Cellini has a DVD called “The Lord and Master of the Rings”. His is a beautiful and magical two ring routine.
http://www.dennymagic.com/cgi-bin/hazel.......m=006032

These will give you more than you will need to get you started.

Not to mention that there are dozens and dozens more linking ring booklets, videos, and DVDs out there for you to explore. These are just the tip of the iceberg.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hello jakeg:

I will add to Harry's excellent post - L&L Publishing has the "World's Greatest Magic" series on DVD. They have one DVD with different ring routines on it, and the Jeff McBride portion will help you with all the basics.

The Jeff McBride segement is from the "Magic on Stage - The Commando Act" series. I recommend that for ring basics.

Good luck to you.

Ron
Amazing Magic Co
View Profile
Inner circle
1715 Posts

Profile of Amazing Magic Co
I think so often it is our inhibitions that limit us. So long as you have a fluid and well rehersed routine, the linking rings are a poetic miracle but you have to believe first to be able to sell it. Whit Haydn's routine is without a doubt my favorite and an absolutely pleasure to perform. Chris Capehart shows that you can convincingly perform this right in someone's face and be just as magical. Just my 2 cents worth.

Dan.
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Chris Capehart and Whit Haydn have the best routines that I've ever seen, live. I use the Harry Anderson routine, modified over the years to fit my style.

I also use a technique, buried in a Dan Garrett routine, that takes the place of the Vernon display move and is much more convincing, in my opinion. The move is done when it is necessary to transfer the k** from hand to hand. This move can really make a routine.
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Great resources, Harry!
Adding two more "three ring" routines of note...
1. Michael Skinner's
2. Oscar Muños'
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
I sure wish that Harry Anderson's "Tricks Of His Trade" special was on DVD. I'd buy it in a second! I wore out my tape of it, years ago.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1741 Posts

Profile of jakeg
Thanks for the follow-up guys. I saw some of the videos of the routines that you spoke about and Whit Haydn's came closest to what I had in mind. I am more concerned about the actual handling of the rings than I am about the routine at this time. It's the acual linking moves that I was concerned about. Maybe Dan has it right when he says that it is our own inhabitions that limit us.
thanks ... I'll keep reading the posts .... jake g
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13425 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2006-12-10 13:48, Alan Munro wrote:
Chris Capehart and Whit Haydn have the best routines that I've ever seen, live. I use the Harry Anderson routine, modified over the years to fit my style.

I also use a technique, buried in a Dan Garrett routine, that takes the place of the Vernon display move and is much more convincing, in my opinion. The move is done when it is necessary to transfer the k** from hand to hand. This move can really make a routine.

Alan, I remember reading you post about this move before and I checked out the move.
I started using it right away. Thanks for taking the time to post about it... then and now.

Frank
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
John Sturk
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
120 Posts

Profile of John Sturk
I wholeheartedly recommend the Capehart and Haydn routines. However, the ring routine that I use the most is one I learned from Jim Pace's "Gags 2" DVD. He uses mini-rings, like 5-in diameter. I use the routine in my restaurant with small rings, but have done it with big 10-inchers in busking.
jimhlou
View Profile
Inner circle
3698 Posts

Profile of jimhlou
Jakeg:

I just performed the Whit Haydon routine in my last show (after practicing for two months!). Having someone on stage working with you takes some of the heat off, as it's difficult for the audience to watch both of you at the same time.

I highly recommend Whit's routine. It went over very well. However, you must practice it until it becomes "automatic", you don't have time to think what you're doing once the routine is under way.

Jim
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jakeg: You probably just need to work more in handling the rings. Learn the basic link and unlinking ala Dai Vernon handling. The key (pun intended) is to keep your hand positions in the RIGHT PLACE before you do anything. One move must link (another pun intended) to the next seamlessly.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
johnnymystic
View Profile
Inner circle
North Adams Ma.
1576 Posts

Profile of johnnymystic
Last night, I nearly knocked out one of my front teeth with a ring while practicing, it's still sore!

Johnny
I drink cheap tequila and vomit
<BR>I cannot eat hot wings...acid reflux
<BR>I never inhale Smile
<BR>I can put a field dress on a deer
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Hmmmmm... me thinks you are standing too close to your rings Smile
joshua the magician
View Profile
Regular user
106 Posts

Profile of joshua the magician
Symphony of the rings by louis ganson. it was dai vernons routine and is excellent.
magicly,
joshua
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Jakeg -- stop reading the posts and start practicing more Smile
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Boxes, tubes & bags » » Linking Rings - handling (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL