The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Wanting to get started... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Hello everyone,

It has been a recent intrest of mine to start learning more of the bizar arts. What I really would like to do, is to learn how to do Saonce magic. I would love to have a whole show togeather where at the end, I am floating out of my chair.

I would love any ideas as to where to get started in saonce magic and bizar in general. Thanks so much.

-Seeker
I've been training these cards since they were small.
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4188 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
A nice over view of Spirit magic is the Scott Davis book "Seance". It's a reprinted collection of Seance magazines all devoted to Spirit magic. Great for getting the ideas flowing.
Tony Iacoviello
View Profile
Eternal Order
13139 Posts

Profile of Tony Iacoviello
Three other things to look at:
Eugene Burger's book, SPIRIT THEATER
Lee Earle's CD Set, MANIFESTATIONS
and the LIZZIE BORDEN SEANCE Portfolio put out by TopHat magic

There are many other sources, but Eugene's books walks you through the history, and many practical lessons learned while doing this, as well as providing advice and material, Lee's set walks you though his experience in setting up a permanent seance, the business side, the effects, and lessons learned, and the LIZZIE BORDEN set does much the same, but for a more portable seance themed on a famous incident.

If you want a no effects, psychological seance that can be treasured by the sitters, Brother Shadow's HAVE SEANCE WILL TRAVEL is a must. It is a portable seance that takes place in the mind of the sitters, that is all I will say about this masterpiece.

And as already mentioned above, Davis's SEANCE is a compilation of effects, ideas, tips, and full seances from some of the best thinkers in the field.

Tony
Bill Fienning
View Profile
Special user
635 Posts

Profile of Bill Fienning
I believe that a seance should have a coherent theme. It is not just a bunch of supposedly spirit-based tricks strung together. The Lizzie Borden Seance has a clear theme. In my seance, "Have you ever met my Aunt Elsie," all effects are connected to contact with my aunt, who died at the age of 4, 20 years before I was born. (She really did.)

When a magician develops a seance, he must avoid making it look like a spooky magic show. That will not make a theatrically impressive performance. The seance is an excellent vehicle for impressing an audience.
Bill Fienning

"It's More than Tricks"
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
So do you all think that my ideas are a bit too much? A bit too Magical? The idea of Levitating from my seat and so on? (and yes..I feel like a bit stupid now for spelling Seance as "Saonce.")

I will check out the books for sure. Thanks for the tips.

What should I be avoiding for sure?

Thanks again,
-Jacob
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3422 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Seeker,
A levitation is certainly too much for me, but could definitely work in a more theatrical seance where the sitters know (or have a very good idea) that what they are seeing is Spirit Theatre.

If you are performing with more quiet claims, yes, floating out of a chair is going to kill the entire experience. Less is more. Tony gave you some great sources, thank him for it.

Have Seance, Will Travel is indeed the masterpiece our friend said it is. However, I would stay away from the work just now and get accustomed to the environment of a seance and the impact/effect it has on the participants. This is powerful stuff.

With that being said, "Spirit Theatre" was my first book relative to seance and spirit magic. Read the character and claims portion multiple times. Ahh hell, just read the entire thing over and over. Explore. Get complete with one point of view and perspective, and then branch out from there. You will find what works for you.

Kind regards,
Jerome.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3422 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
P.S. For Bizarre magic(k)s, there are so many excellent sources out there right now. A few of my favorites are Capricornian Tales, The Dark Waltz, The Book of Vo Du Ma Gick and you cannot go wrong with Hauntiques. (I think that's it sitting wrapped up tight beneath the tree!!!, better be!!!)

There are other fantastic sources and contributions out there as well, of course. As performers and artists, we are truly blessed to have this high quality of material readily available. Oh, can't forget Rick Maue and his book of Haunted Magic. Great stuff.

-J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
ptbeast
View Profile
Special user
Oregon
830 Posts

Profile of ptbeast
If you want to get started with séance magic, check out Rick Maue’s Book of Spirits Séance (BOSS). It is a complete séance that is easy to perform so that you can concentrate on presentation. It plays very well. While there, pick up a copy of Rick's Haunted Magic. You won't be disappointed.

Dave

Note: there is another thread that is now active again on BOSS. Check there for more info.
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2448 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
AH...ER...is that a snake on yur head, or are yu just happy to see me?

mu ha ha ha...............ha.....hey...I try..
Seeker
View Profile
Special user
Chicago
578 Posts

Profile of Seeker
Thanks guys. Lots of info...where to start....

I will be checking out all of these sources. Thanks.
And if you still think there is more of me to know...please do.

-Jacob
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
Quote:
On 2006-12-11 13:43, Gede Nibo wrote:
AH...ER...is that a snake on yur head, or are yu just happy to see me?

mu ha ha ha...............ha.....hey...I try..

Aaaarrrggh!

Haven't heard from ya for a while, Bro!

Nal
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Wanting to get started... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL