The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fake Waiter Scam....Fascinating! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14062 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
This guy steals credit cards like the proverbial "taking candy from a baby" Fascinating!

Go here: http://www.jokeroo.com/extremevideos/fake_waiter_scam.html
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Dr Gareth
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of Dr Gareth
Its from a show called "The real hustle" its been on a while now
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
I've always thought it was hilarious that the same people who worry about their credit card numbers being stolen online will hand their credit card to a waitress named 'Styrene' who is dressed all in black with 17 piercings and a tatoo of Satan on her neck.*

*Not that there's anything wrong with that. Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
BryanKelly
View Profile
Regular user
191 Posts

Profile of BryanKelly
Quote:
On 2006-12-11 14:34, airship wrote:
I've always thought it was hilarious that the same people who worry about their credit card numbers being stolen online will hand their credit card to a waitress named 'Styrene' who is dressed all in black with 17 piercings and a tatoo of Satan on her neck.*

Good point... I wonder why restaurants don't have portable credit card scanners to give to their customers so that they can check out themselves while they sit at the table? That way the customer doesn't have to give their credit card to anyone...
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Quote:
Good point... I wonder why restaurants don't have portable credit card scanners to give to their customers so that they can check out themselves while they sit at the table? That way the customer doesn't have to give their credit card to anyone...

They don't have the portable devices because they are WAY expensive...

It's that simple, economics...

Most restaurants operate on a pretty tight budget (unless they are the 'biggies' in the franchise world like Red Lobster/Olive Garden/Chiles/etc) and even THOSE money printers don't have them....

Until the technology gets cheaper, it won't be happening soon...

A suggestion?

Follow the server when they ring you out, that way you KNOW what goes on with your credit card...

Other than that, trust and hold on to the hope that you have an honest server.

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
Actually,

I had lunch with a friend a few days ago in Orlando, FL with a friend at a Fridays Restaurant. The waitress took our order using a small hand held device that looked like a PDA and then when it came bill time, she scanned my credit card right there at the table and handed it back to me. The information was sent wirelessly to the receiver.

When I inquired about the device, she said that they were testing them in her store and that the technology will spread to the other stores in the chain soon. She commented also that this technology is already pretty common in the UK...

Lyndel
Professor Piper
View Profile
Special user
Somewhere, out there...
770 Posts

Profile of Professor Piper
Right Lyndel...They are testing it...Which means the company wants to make sure the investment is worth it before they shell out...

Which is smart...Cool that it's happening sooner than I thought though, sounds safer.

I don't doubt it's prevalent in the UK, seems like they get cool stuff (along with Japan, obviously) before we do...

Prof. Piper
(Terry)
"Nemo has been found! He was on an Admiral's Platter at Red Lobster!"
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
So soon I can just sit in a Fridays all afternoon drinking coffee, with my 'wireless sniffer' logging credit card information for me? Sweet? Smile
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
acmp
View Profile
Elite user
Nottinghamshire
466 Posts

Profile of acmp
Yes wireless card payment is very popular in the UK. Most restaurants have it. We have to use 'chip and PIN' to pay for stuff now, no signatures. so you have to enter your pin so they can't expect you to follow them around just so you can pay.

I like chip and pin, it's so easy.

airship, I'm sure (though I don't know for certain) that the wireless bit is encrypted. I've never spotted the networks with my PPC scanner, though that is limited to the WiFi bands. I guess they could be using bluetooth or some restricted band/proprietary networking.
acmp<><

"Well if I had one wish in this god forsaken world, kids
It'd be that your mistakes would be your own"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Fake Waiter Scam....Fascinating! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.07 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL