The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2006 entrée: R P Wilson » » Memorised deck » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

learachel
View Profile
Elite user
415 Posts

Profile of learachel
I like the memorised deck effects! Nothink it's so strong!(in cards magic)
what do you think about that? Do you regulary use this principe?
I like the effects than don't disturb the deck! do you have some effects who the deck stay in order?
Sorry for my bad english!
Simon
Belgium
R P Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
235 Posts

Profile of R P Wilson
I actually have a lot of work with the memorised deck. I use my own stack and have tricks that keep the order or rotate it back into place after another effect.

I have some interesting work on this principle and was considering releasing it this year. Sadly it'll have to wait as I don't have the time to write it properly and research the credits.

I'm sure you know that the finest sources are Mnemonica and Aronson but Eric Meade (one of my favorite living magicians) has some excellent material in his new book.

P
TomasB
View Profile
Inner circle
Sweden
1140 Posts

Profile of TomasB
Paul,

Will you be releasing tricks for Memorized Decks in general or also include the specific tricks built into your stack? I just can never get my thumb out of my ass to memorize a deck before I come up with one (or find one) with enough goodies built into it. I keep experimenting and putting together stacks regularly but have not found one that feels right yet. Most often they end up having Poker Deals in them and we all know how boring they are. Smile

Take care, man.

/Tomas
R P Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
235 Posts

Profile of R P Wilson
Hey Tomas. I think I'm getting a little reluctant to release my work on the memorized deck. Mostly because my approach is a very personal one and is based mostly on estimation. I think Aronson's work on memdecks is the finest out there but I love seeing how real eperts like Close and Meade handle their stacks.

I built my stack around a poker act (sorry!) so it's literally a ten minute demonstration using lots of moves and sleights with a killer ending.

The entire act is about twenty minutes, starting from a borrowed shuffled deck. Ten minutes in and I've got the deck stacked, ready to go.

I wrote down every feat I wanted to demonstrate and worked out the sequence until I had a starting point - that was my memorized deck from that day forward.

I think setting the deck for a series of effects is a good way to go and there are many non poker set-ups to choose from!

P
Iain Moran
View Profile
Special user
Manchester, England
678 Posts

Profile of Iain Moran
Hi Paul,

I don't currently use the memorized deck but have studied the Aronson stack for some time. I hope to have it ready for use soon.

One thing that bothers me is how to get the deck into play. Like most magicians I always get cards signed. Lets say I had the five of hearts signed in one effect. Then later switched to a deck in memorized order. If during the mem deck routines the five of hearts was in play, I imagine someone would notice their signature had vanished. I obvioulsy don't want to openly put the working deck away and bring out the mem deck.

I know your mem deck routine starts with a shuffled deck, but how would you manage things if you had to ring the mem deck into play.

Thanks for all your time this week. It's much appreciated.

Iain.
R P Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
235 Posts

Profile of R P Wilson
If it was necessary to have cards signed prior to switching in a memdeck, I would force the top or bottom cards of the memorized deck and have them signed during the other routines.

When you switch decks (lets say in your pocket), the signed cards can be added to the new deck before being removed. Naturally those cards are not in the set-up deck.

If you want the cards to be distributed, force cards that can easily be positioned after the deck switch.

As you can see it can get rather complicated!

My approach would be to carry the signed cards over to the memdeck as described but then perform a trick that, during the process, sets the signed cards in different locations and leaves the deck completely stacked, ready for use.

I currently use a routine where I start with a shuffled deck and stack it during a routine. This means I can have cards signed, if necessary. The problem is that the routine is so strong that I need to be doing a complete act to warrant doing more card magic after the deck is already stacked!

P
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2006 entrée: R P Wilson » » Memorised deck » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL