The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Idea - Stopping water (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

rmwilson
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of rmwilson
I do a Hydrostatic glass routine... and I was thinking it would be neat to start a discussion around the possibility of as the water is commanded to fall from the glass.. I thought it would be neat to have the ability to FREEZE or stop water in mid air ???? Any thoughts or ideas?

Ryan
under the table
View Profile
New user
Detroit
81 Posts

Profile of under the table
This would be a great idea, no idea on how to do it without some crazy apparatus but its a cool idea. I saw David Copperfield do it when I was younger but I don't remember it to well. Would this idea be more of a close up, hands on type thing or a stage trick?
GarySumpter
View Profile
Special user
UK
857 Posts

Profile of GarySumpter
Slush or Snow Powder would give a nice 'in the glass' freezing effect.

Perhaps not what you are after though!

Gary
Marcello
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Marcello
What about using mercury (quicksilver) and magnets ?
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
If you wanted to shorten your life span...
Marcello
View Profile
New user
35 Posts

Profile of Marcello
Fortuna audaces iuvat
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
No matter how audacious you are, magnets will not stop the flow of mercury.
I prefer, "Fortune favors the prepared mind."

However, I saw some plastic icicles for hanging on a Christmas Tree this past season. I would experiment on cutting one down a bit and letting it hang over the edge of the glass in the flow of water. It should be invisible (if it works). Then you could just stop the flow of water and the plastic icicle hanging down might seem to be frozen water. It might look better with a glass icicle, but the basic premise could be tested inexpensively by a visit to the tree ornament box, if you haven't yet packed them all away.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Oh, sorry ... I think that I am wrong here.
When I read the topic subject, I thought it's about nursing homes.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24218 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Quote:
On 2007-01-07 13:46, Marcello wrote:
What about using mercury (quicksilver) and magnets ?

Mercury is not attracted to magnets. It is also illegal to purchase it in most countries, because of its toxicity.

I don't recall the Copperfield effect you are referring to; however, I do remember some experiments I saw on television with a clear gel or polymer that looked like water, but was what they call "elastoviscous."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
cartoon cowboy
View Profile
Regular user
Lancaster, PA
104 Posts

Profile of cartoon cowboy
I would experiment with a rope of clear plastic wrap - maybe with some clear silicone caulk for bulk.

- Erick
Happy Trails,
- CC Smile
Erick Hershey
magic.hersheyarts.com
Orvec
View Profile
New user
64 Posts

Profile of Orvec
I seem to recall reading an e-book several years ago that had a clever and workable method for stopping water in mid-air. I can't remember the author or the name of the book, but I remember the name of the book was in Latin. I'll check and see if it's still on my computer.

Rick
Diavo
View Profile
Veteran user
The District
357 Posts

Profile of Diavo
Quote:
On 2007-01-08 17:18, Spellbinder wrote:
However, I saw some plastic icicles for hanging on a Christmas Tree this past season. I would experiment on cutting one down a bit and letting it hang over the edge of the glass in the flow of water. It should be invisible (if it works). Then you could just stop the flow of water and the plastic icicle hanging down might seem to be frozen water. It might look better with a glass icicle, but the basic premise could be tested inexpensively by a visit to the tree ornament box, if you haven't yet packed them all away.

Nice! In the Flicking Flingers (www.theflickingfingers.com) DVD there's a trick with a Gummy Bear on a wine glass. I can't give away the technique, but how it's hidden and brought into play is smart.
I could see a variation with a plastic icicle on the far side (close to you, far from them) of a glass, you pour out water (far side from you, closer to them), then spin the glass in your hand nonchalantly/flourishy so now you're pouring water over the [not immediately noticeable] icicle, yell "Stop!" and tilt the glass just enough to stop the water from pouring and let the image of the icicle sink in.
Then "snap" off the icicle, rubs it between your cupped hands and throw your hands up and a small splash of water shoots up, the icicle (sleeved) is gone. [I always have to take things just a little farther...hehe]
And bonus if the cup you're pouring into can suddenly turn to ice when you yell "Stop" too! =)

Lots of people seem so into fire magic, I find ice magic to be refreshing and... cool. ;P B-)

Has anyone seen the end of the movie Magicians? IIRC the guy throws a bucket of water at the audience and it stops (freezes momentum, not turns-to-ice) in midair...!
I'm not just a magician, I'm an interpreter of Reality.
Underground, above ground, whatever. I don't need a label, thanks.
Nick-V.
View Profile
Special user
Create and Devastate
770 Posts

Profile of Nick-V.
This idea reminds me from a scene in a movie. Smile
Peace on the Magical Streets
~Nick V.~
MrMagi
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of MrMagi
Hey Rick,

The ebook was Ignis Fatuus by Zach Allen. The effect was Matrix - here's the description from the advert

"You cause a raindrop to pause in mid-air, and everyone can get a look at it floating in the air. With a wave of your hand, it continues its journey down to the ground, vanishing in a puddle."
stepseven
View Profile
New user
Staffs, UK
54 Posts

Profile of stepseven
Have you seen the bar trick where you take a "chilled" beer, tap the bottle and the whole thing freezes solid? I thought everyone had tried this.

Check YouTube if you have too.

On the subject of magnetic liquids, check out ferrofluids, for example:
http://www.dansdata.com/magnets.htm
+ev
fishwasher
View Profile
Inner circle
B'ham uk
1232 Posts

Profile of fishwasher
Is the ebook by zach still available?

I googled it, the only place I found to purchase it was his blog,but the paypal links are not working. Also his email is not working.
Sayn lay narn, marli?

http://www.bizarremagic.net
MrMagi
View Profile
Regular user
114 Posts

Profile of MrMagi
Hey Fishwasher,

Haven't been able to find it ono the net. I seem to remember it being on http://www.magic-notes.com/ a while back but it is no longer there. Zach had an email address for his blog but he also had zachallemagic@gmail.com - you might try giving that one a shot.
Hope this helps.

MrMagi

Some other ones fro the blog site are:
zachallenmagic@hotmail.com
magicpdog@hotmail.com
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Mirror glass, slush powder, Lucite insert on a string?
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Father Photius
View Profile
Grammar Host
El Paso, TX (Formerly Amarillo)
17197 Posts

Profile of Father Photius
Hmmm, well if the water was doctored to have a thicker consistency but remain fluid and clear, you had some means of having a small opening inside the mouth of the glass through which the fluid must and could only pass, and you had some sort of silent vacuum device that was powerful enough, you could make it halt momentarily at some point (would very with viscosity of fluid) and even make it reverse. Nah, got to be an easier way.
"Now here's the man with the 25 cent hands, that two bit magician..."
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
Hesperia, California USA
1904 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
Bill, I think is on the right track. You can add a chemical (I forgot the name), but it changes the water to a polymer without changing its appearance. You can pour the liquid from one container to another and, if you time it right, you can have the water stop and then changed directions. You can also cut the water with a pair of scissors, while pouring. The lower portion continues to fall into the lower container, while the upper portion reverses flow and goes back up into the upper container.

The problem is, 35 years ago when I first witnessed this in a chemistry class, it was a mystery. Today, I've seen it so many times demonstrated in high school classes that the mystery is gone.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » We double dare you! » » Idea - Stopping water (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL