The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Can I do silk color changes with satin? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Hello

In my act, I need to change a normal red silk into a glossy silver silk. However, the only silk I can find that meets this criteria is satin which is also much thicker than the normal silk.

Is it still possible to do this trick with a dye tube or palmo?

Thanks.

Han Chung Lim
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The satin will look all wrinkled at the end; not a pretty sight! Take a cardboard toilet paper tube with you to the fabric store and try stuffing various fabrics into the tube to see which ones come out fairly unwrinkled, or at least as unwrinkled as pure silk. Try not to get caught by the shop clerks. If you do get caught, I disavow ever giving you this advice. This message will self-destruct when you click on the browser's back arrow.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
LimHenChung,

An interesting thing about red under white if it is pure China silk, it looks silver grey!

Try it with 5 momme silks. Use a white silk that is dyed white (not bleached white). Blue oddly does almost the same as red. I have never tried purple.

Five or six of my costumes are silver. This has been used to hide a red or blue silk in plain sight!

I don't recommend satin.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Quote:
On 2006-12-13 01:15, Bob Sanders wrote:
LimHenChung,

An interesting thing about red under white if it is pure China silk, it looks silver grey!

Try it with 5 momme silks. Use a white silk that is dyed white (not bleached white). Blue oddly does almost the same as red. I have never tried purple.

Five or six of my costumes are silver. This has been used to hide a red or blue silk in plain sight!

I don't recommend satin.

Good Luck!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

I don't really get what you are saying. Are you saying that white can be perceived as silver grey on stage alone or only with a red/blue silk underneath it?

Thanks.

Han Chung Lim
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Use the red or blue silk behind the white silk. Just make sure that it does not flash. Sewing it to the edge may be necessary.

Bob
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
If I dye a silk, does it increase the size of the silk?
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
I just remembered a silk color change the MIGHT work with lightweight satin without getting it all wrinkly. The original Color Changing silk is the one Tarbell calls the Flash Color Change in Volume 3. No dye tube needed. An alternate visible color change could be had by making the handkerchief as described in the Flash Color Change and then doing the change by means of the method used in the trick called the "Zebra Silk" in Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, Volume 2.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Spellbinder,

Good Point!

The "pull through" type color change is exactly how I learned about white over blue is silver. Here in Dixie there are two football teams (University of Alabama and Auburn) with school colors of red & white and blue & orange. DoveLite Silk had 18" four-color change pull throughs custom made in China for a few magicians that do SEC Football themed magic. It is a double color change without a dye tube.

Another point: for walk-around magicians this is a great "tip-getter" and resets itself. (The folks at LSU love them too.) The Pro models are 18" and have nice big rings. They are nothing like the 10" synthetic toy.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
limhanchung
View Profile
Veteran user
Malaysia
342 Posts

Profile of limhanchung
Quote:
On 2006-12-15 09:57, Spellbinder wrote:
I just remembered a silk color change the MIGHT work with lightweight satin without getting it all wrinkly. The original Color Changing silk is the one Tarbell calls the Flash Color Change in Volume 3. No dye tube needed. An alternate visible color change could be had by making the handkerchief as described in the Flash Color Change and then doing the change by means of the method used in the trick called the "Zebra Silk" in Rice's Encyclopedia of Silk Magic, Volume 2.

I am specifically looking for a way to do the color change slowly just like the dye tube. Does the method that you suggest allow me to do a similar choreography like the dye tube routine?

Thanks.

Han Chung Lim
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
Not really. The effect works better when done quickly. However, one more solution- use a really FAT (large diameter) tube as your dye tube to cut down on the amount of squeezing and thus wrinkling. Cover the large dyd tube size with a tube of paper or a bamboo mat.
Professor Spellbinder

Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-12-17 08:13, Spellbinder wrote:
Not really. The effect works better when done quickly. However, one more solution- use a really FAT (large diameter) tube as your dye tube to cut down on the amount of squeezing and thus wrinkling. Cover the large dyd tube size with a tube of paper or a bamboo mat.

Ruth's dad (Harold Rice) taught me to use a magazine rather than the mat because it is an everyday object and it easily holds itself on the back of a chair. (It is also self-screening!) Of course, back then magazines were less than a dollar too!

One of the neat things was that the magazine could be selected to fit the audience and made the patter easy to change to meet the group. (I did loads of "organizational" meeting is those days.)

Hints:

1. The magazine about 64 pages works best.

2. If necessary, iron the magazine flat and then "re-roll" it

3. About the middle of the magazine, open it out flat and iron it open. It will help it stay on the chair back better.

4. If you will take a "Special Offer" post card and stick it in the magazine with a dot of rubber cement, you can make it fall out at will. It gives you a shot at some funny patter and is a little more convincing that it's just that magazine.

Good dye tube routines never die!

Enjoy!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander

PS --- There are great routines available using the dye tube and mat as the Chinese Egg Bag that turns to color changing silks.

Scheme!
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
Scott Compton
View Profile
Special user
Hampton, VA
747 Posts

Profile of Scott Compton
Try using a palmo. Duane Lofton and Joe Mogar sell them. It has a larger capacity than a dye tube, and handles the same way.

Scott Compton
Magic is an art. I am merely a tour guide.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Scott-Compton-Magician/160270640674735

"You are the magic" Jay Ose to Albert Goshman
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
For a guy with a large hand, some of the plastic juice containers for kids make a great palmo. Just cut the bottom out.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Can I do silk color changes with satin? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL