The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Axtell's "Big Baby" Product / Invitation to you! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Okay I know I've been quiet on here lately, but I've been up to something "BIG".

A few of few of you have seen this in development for a few weeks, and now I'd like to open this up for discussion among all my Magic Café friends. This is a new internet concept on ways to make products better (include the customers in advance) A few leading companies and movies are doing this.

Axtell Expressions has a killer new concept called "Big Babies". This is a comedy prop that works well as a cross-over item for many different types of performers. Warning...it is a show stealer. A full time performer Sylvia Markson, created this and brought it to us. It's been tested for a few years and it kills! It is in development right now, and will be out in the first part of 2007.

For magicians, imagine saying to your audience, "People always ask me how I got started in Magic, let me show you". Then you put on some time-travel music / sound effects and then reveal yourself as a young magician! Check this out

(sorry for the very very long downloads of the flash files...I haven't figured out how to reduce their sizes yet. We will improve this too).

http://www.axtell.com/big_babies.html

We are opening this up for your ideas on how you would use it, how to make it better, new ideas and ways to use this in a magic show. We can't implement every idea but we'll listen, and we will share your performance ideas (family friendly) on our website. Mike Bent suggested a wonderful idea making the hands "live" with sleeves for your real hands to come up and you can do sleight of hand stuff as a baby. Even pull props out of the diapers. He can elaborate....

Other ideas? Let me know what you think!

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
>>We are opening this up for your ideas on how you would use it, how to make it better,

*Include the ability to jet water onto the audience from the diaper area.

*Can the performer turn in a 360' circle under there? If so it would give the illusion of the baby's head spinning in a circle! (like in the exorcist)

*I agree it must have the ability to allow your hands to come out AND go back under for other props.

Great job Steve, looks cool.
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
Steve, all my creative energy is going into Christmas shows right now, but I LOVE this! Ideas will come in the New Year, God willing. Could you make one up to look like a PIRATE baby? I guess it wouldn't be too hard to customise....how about a built-in fart machine?
Tod Todson
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
1296 Posts

Profile of Tod Todson
Ax,

I cannot access this web link. Have tried four times today.

Tod
Mystifier, Youth Speaker
<BR><BR>
Starrpower
View Profile
Inner circle
4070 Posts

Profile of Starrpower
I can't get it to load, either.
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Same here - the site seems to be down temporarily
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
KV Magic
View Profile
New user
Missouri
58 Posts

Profile of KV Magic
Worked for me. Make sure you give it enough time to load.

Great idea Steve! Just a thought, but maybe it could be used like Ken Scott's Fantasy Magician.

I guess I better start saving my nickels!

Keith
cardone
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of cardone
I love it!!!

Hey Steve ...How small will it roll up? Why will the bodies be made out of latex? I would prefer not ...so that it will last more than 8 to 10 years...I love the idea of the squirting water ...this one is a winner !!
Marvello
View Profile
Inner circle
It's amazing how little I can say in
1490 Posts

Profile of Marvello
Now I can see it - very funny Smile Steve - I will try to brainstorm and let you know.
Never criticize someone else until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Then, when you do criticize them, you will be a mile away from them and you will have their shoes.
magicmonty
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland
118 Posts

Profile of magicmonty
Ax ,
A superb , visual and very funny Prop . I am sure you will get plenty of ideas from the Café members , I think being able to use your own hands " Fantasy Magician " style is a must . I also love the idea of producing something from the diaper and squirting water!!!lol.

I will have to put my thinking hat on and maybe post some thoughts tomorrow .Can't stop laughing at this and will have to start saving.
Magically yours
John .
Potty the Pirate
View Profile
Inner circle
4621 Posts

Profile of Potty the Pirate
I had another look, and I think your product is already a winner, Ax. The possibilities for routines are endless, but I'm wondering if the prop itself could have any special features that would make it more versatile?

I like the idea of being able to use your own hands, but I also wonder if that would spoil the illusion somewhat, as now the baby has a big adult head, and big adult hands. Would the baby's arms, and the sleeves for an adult's arms, be interchangeable?

I don't see the problem with using latex - if the prop lasts 10 years and is still earning, surely folks would just buy a new one?

This routine would be great for a birthday party, get Dad into the "costume", and the kids would go wild!
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
That is hilarious!! Now I can finally act my age!

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Apologies for the page errors....our server had a complete system crash. I believe the site is up now, although the flash video still takes for-ev-er to load. You guys crack me up with the ideas.

Anyway, whatever we end up with is going to just be ..... KILLER!!!!! I'm so excited. Keep them coming!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
dove-boy
View Profile
Special user
Joe Yu (Stage Name)
545 Posts

Profile of dove-boy
Hi Steve Smile

It will be great to have an Axtrax CD routine with the Big Babies! I will be the first to grab both the baby boy & girl! Smile

BTW, I listened to your advice & took the Toucan....it goes very well with the animated arms, and is a hit with the kids Smile

Thanks again Smile
JY
Buster Balloon
View Profile
Regular user
168 Posts

Profile of Buster Balloon
What a fantastic new Toy. I would love one with the Live Hand Option for my Balloon Shows. I could use it for a flash back sequence to when I twisted my very first balloon animal.
Buster Balloon
Creative Genius, Balloon Twisting Savant, & Pre-Sweetened Breakfast Cereal Connoisseur
http://BusterBalloon.com
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Very Good ideas! "My First Balloon Animal" is great! I've heard from a juggler (Mike Hemmelgarn) that he will use it to show how he "started juggling" (tossing baby bottles, teddy bear etc.)

The torso, arms and legs are latex. Most foam and fabric will get so dirty in a few years it doesn't have any advantage. Latex looks just like flesh for the illusion.

The size is an issue. The bed base needs to be large and flat to support the body and provide you with the workspace. I've given a lot of thought to a folding bed, but it doesn't save much space and really increases the cost. So....it will probably be in a big box. Your ideas here for saving space are very welcome!

Another idea for a magician is this....what if we put a magic top hat down near the baby's feet mounted to the bed with a hole in the bottom. Then the baby (holding a magic wand) makes things appear from inside the hat. The illusion is very strong because if the latex arms are used (instead of live hands) your real hands are free underneath the bed hidden, and can raise objects up and into the hat (perhaps props on rods). Baby waves wand....produces bottle of milk showing in hat....waves it again....bottle goes down...Coca Cola comes up! Baby does evil laugh and audience howls! Teddy bear is transformed into a Barbie doll, etc. The illusion would be very strong because the baby's hands are active above the bed, and the top hat is way down at the bottom. Not "real magic" but really funny!

I don't have a working model yet with your real hands in sleeves. It won't look as cute, but it will be funny and have more possibilities for sleight of hand and manipulation of objects. Mike Bent share your "magician's secret" idea! Very funny with sucking your thumb and vanishing silks!

Also there is the ethnic / skin color issue. We will make them in different options (White, Black, Brown skin, etc.) like we do our people puppets. But still, you are limited to either using yourself, or calling up the appropriate ethnic volunteer that will match.

Think about if you used it on a volunteer (not on yourself). That's what the creator of this (Sylvia Markson) does on her cruise ship act. You can read what she does as a vent on the site http://www.axtell.com/big_babies.html How could a magician use this? Turn someone into a baby..... Use magic to "hypnotize" them back into their childhood.

What about using a big black fabric covering over the entire thing while you "rig them up" (there is velcro around the neck, some instructions to whisper - I'm putting a baby bed over you, sit forward a little, use the rods to move the baby's arms and legs,etc.) Then whip off the black fabric to reveal the rig. It's kind of cumbersome thing, but so is putting it on them in full view of the audience. Ideas here for how to get it on and off as part of the routine. Many magicians do not have the advantage of stage curtains and assistants.

I know this is a really busy time for all of us, so thanks for your thoughts in between all the holiday performances! Think about your current show and how this might fit in. Even if you don't want to use it, your ideas could help others with their act.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Lyndel
View Profile
Inner circle
wrote the theme to the TV show COPS!
1623 Posts

Profile of Lyndel
If afforded the luxury of a stage with wing space, you could step off stage as the "way back" harp music plays along with a voice over possibly about starting out in magic at an early age, etc.

At the right moment, you costumed in the gimmick and seated in an office chair with rollers, glide out to center stage to do the bits... The skirting around the "crib" hides the office chair and the gliding on stage and off lends to the "flashback" / "dreamy" mood that one might want to present with this. Fog optional...

A good lead-in to the effect would be the Baby Gag effect
(see http://www.stevensmagic.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1255 )

One could also work a rattle box monte type of an effect into it - substituting the boxes for actual baby rattles if doing a talking routine.

Seems that a vanishing milk pitcher or the jug by Dan Harlan would be easy to work into this bit.

How about some music? Hit Me Baby One More Time, I'm not That Innocent, Santa Baby (for holiday shows), I Want Candy, uga chuka/hooked on a feeling song from Ally McBeal

Balloon artists - a pump under the gimmick, with a hose going through (behind the diaper) so that it looks like Baby inflates the ballon by pooting into it???

Baby food in mouth / mouth coil out...

Balloon swallow bit. Babies put everything in their mouth...

Big glass of milk beside crib, baby can't reach it so he cries... Then in a moment of inspiration, reaches into his diaper for an eight foot appearing straw (appearing pole that looks like a straw) problem solved...

Adult shows? Baby reaches into back of diaper and removes a t**d (really a Baby Ruth candy bar) then proceeds to eat it - being very messy about it...

Lyndel
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Steve,

Question(s): Does one have to strap on the gear or is it an instant "step behind and into" set-up? Smile

Is the Big Baby set-up suitable for roving or is it best suited for stationary (ie: stage only)? Smile

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Good question..Right now, the one you see on the site with latex hands, is made to first put on the bonnet, then sit down and put the rig over you, and velcro it around your neck. The bottom rests on your knees (which is why you sit forward) so your knees down bulge out in front. A nice straight skirt around the bed is the best illusion and doesn't reveal the "big person" underneath.

If you had a scooter or wheelchair for roving it would be good....or we could make an extra long skirt for walk-arounds / walk-abouts. However, that's a lot of fabric and you're way up in the air. When you come "down" for a kid to see you, all the fabric would be all over the ground.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
856 Posts

Profile of cardone
How compact will it be?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Axtell's "Big Baby" Product / Invitation to you! (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.3 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL