We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Axtell's "Big Baby" Product / Invitation to you! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
This stuff just keeps getting better! I'm so excited because literally EVERY entertainer gets asked "How did you get your start?". Now we can show them!

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
LEG MOVING IDEAS -

I think we can can keep the legs animated by connecting them to the sleeves with invisible thread (monofilliment or spider wire). When you pull back your hands the string will lift the leg on that side. You can still tantrum this way. Any other motions like reaching down into the diaper or sucking your thumb would keep the string slack and not move the legs which would be desirable. The strings would be kept on the wrist band of the sleeve I think, to minimize getting tangled in the hands, but what about props? Would the string get caught on a stuffed bunny if you pulled it out? Would it pull the leg into a strange position? Could that be funny too?

It's natural to think of our knees moving the legs because the bed is resting on the knees in a similar place, but the bed would shake all over the place if you move your knees too much. I could build a support for the bed but then it's bulky and costy....knees are a great support.

Another idea is to keep short rods on the heels of the feet and going down below the bed and you could wiggle side to side your knees (the rods would be between your knees) but that's minimal movement, I think the baby's legs would spread and come together like making a snow angel.... not up and down tantrum action like the strings could do. That's more desirable.

Normally this kind of creative process is hidden or done in private. I think it's great to share how the process works and let you contribute.

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain......

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
I don't know about going THAT far in making the legs OVER animated. Yes, the Spider wire would be enough. We would really want to focus most action on the face and hands. The hands could grab the feet like kids normally do and put your foot in your mouth (if it reaches).

Yes, I want one of these. As I said to Ax, I can't wait to show the kids how I got started in magic. Using lots of comedy props like the break-away wand and banging my head and the wand breaks causing me to wail, atomic light bulb, fire book, spring snakes, goofy glasses, sponge tooth, stretching tongue, some squirting device. Something to keep them laughing.
Dennis Michael
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
Steve, please whatever you do and whatever ideas are thrown your way, please keep the trick for this product as simple as possible.

I would say just record a bunch of baby sound effects, a bunch of lullabies, and maybe a few songs like Old McDonald or first songs.
(Effects could include: sucking thumb, burp, tummy rumble, fart, cry, wail, laugh, giggle, rattle shaking, squeaker, dada, mama, poopoo, kaka, gaga, etc.)

This way, each user of the Big Baby can just pull out and use whatever he/she wants and comprise their own routine.

If you record mispronounced words and make a routine whereby the baby tries to talk, then this track will not be good for other countries with other spoken languages.

Simple is better.

Enjoy,
Dani
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
One of the tricks to brainstorming is to let the ideas roll and flow. Ultimately we end up with the simplest way to do each thing, but getting to that is half the fun!
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2222 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
My idea would be have one arm be the performer's real arm and the other a fake, so it would free up a hand for the performer to operate his/her remote for sound system, etc. The real performer's hand could hold a bottle and other things; my choice would be the left hand be real...just a thought for your consideration. Now if I could just come up with the money to get one!
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
What if you mounted your remote onto the back of a prop, like a baby bottle? Then both hands could be active, and you have the remote accessible.

The challenge with having one hand live and one dummy is that they still need to look identical. Sometimes we do that with gloves (bird arm illusion, or puppets that use a live hand); it's easy to stuff one glove and still look real. If you use a rubber hand for the dummy, it will need to hold onto something to look real - like holding a teddy bear or something that won't need to move. However, most want to have both hands for tricks, not just one-handed magic.

A little Velcro on the bottle and the back of the remote could work?

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
shomemagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Missouri
2222 Posts

Profile of shomemagic
Good point, Steve. Velcro is a logical choice... I never considered the matching the hands.
Magically,

Mike King - Sho-Me Magic

You can e-mail me at: shomemagic@gmail.com
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
OKAY, QUESTION REGARDING SEX:

Would you want your Big Baby to be a:

BOY (blue colors)
GIRL (Pink Colors)
NON-SPECIFIC (Yellow or Green, etc.)

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
A blue one would be perfect for me and what I want to do with it. However, a non-specific would be a bit more versatile.

If I choose another person, who would "ham-it-up" more, a male or female? Female volunteers tend to be more reserved then men. (OK, it is a sexist opinion.)

Can they be ordered by gender?

The Yellow would show up better with my black and blue background curtains.

Such difficult questions to ask. I will be happy whatever you send me, Ax.
Den
Dennis Michael
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
I set up a POLL on the webpage for your votes: http://www.axtell.com/big_babies.html

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
42% wanted Blue Boys
42% wanted Yellow Neutral
17% said they would buy both Boy and Girl

From this we learned that we need all color options, and we are also offering a discount if you order both the boy and girl at the same time. The kit includes the Big Baby on the bed, the Bonnet, and the Audio CD Routines. (The CD will be shipping about 1 month from now.) Babies will start shipping next Friday to the first folks on Betsy's list.

Please contact Betsy with your choice of COLOR (Blue, Pink or Yellow....or Both Boy and Girl), and also with your choice of skin color (Peach or Brown).

Also, we are now live and taking public orders as the site is active at http://www.axtell.com/big_babies.html

Thank you all for participating in this exciting product! The Magic Café rocks!

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
If you were on the waiting list for BiG BaBieS - please contact Betsy in customer service at:

order@axtell.com
or call (805) 642-7282
with your specifications listed above.

If you are not yet on the waiting list, it would be best to use the webpage shopping cart to place your order. http://www.axtell.com/big_babies.html

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
How about have a CD soundtrack where it's mommy's voice on the CD? Now, you can have a hilarious interaction with mommy and all the fun stuff she wants to do to you.

Rick Mearns
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
How about becoming the Baby Herman character from Who Framed Roger Rabbit. He's the baby with a 5 o'clock shadow, holding a cigar and has a real gruff voice.

You may have to tone it down a little for the kids, but funny just the same.

Rick Mearns
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
How about performing the floating pacifier, ala Zombie Ball.

Or a "milk pitcher" type baby bottle. I also see over-sized props working well with this baby get-up (i.e. jumbo spoon, jumbo comb, jumbo baby bottle, jumbo pacifier, jumbo telephone, etc.).

Rick Mearns
www.vancouvermagic.com
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Wonderful stuff, Rick....I'll put your zombie idea on the site.

The mommy's voice on the CD thing has some real possibilities. She's just in the other room - speaking to the baby.....

WAAAHHH!!
...Don't cry, I'll be there soon...I'm drying my nails......
WHAAHH!
...I'm getting your baby food.....it's your favorite.....spinach and mushroom mush...
WAAAHHH!
...Okay, okay....I'll make it an extra big bowlful.....just because you're so special....
Whaaahhhh!!!
Well, if you keep fussing like that, you aren't going to be able to eat at all...
(complete silence) Baby puts hand over his own mouth.

Baby? Baby? Are you okay?
(baby talk) uh-huh (yes)
Are you still hungry?
nah-ugh....no....NO......

What else?
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Hi Steve,

I was also envisioning the baby talking like a grown-up, while the mommy voice is the typical "Coochie, coochie, here's my little baby" stuff. Baby would be looking up in the air when he's talking to his mommy, and then out into the audience when he makes some sarcastic remarks, "Gee, all of the moms in the world, and I got stuck with THIS one."

Mommy: Is my little baby hungry?
Baby: No, I just cry like this 'cause I'm bored.

Mommy: Sniff, sniff... Do you smell what I smell?
Baby: Hey, don't look at me lady. The cat is the guilty one here.

Mommy: I'm getting your baby food.....it's your favorite.....spinach and mushroom mush.
Baby: Oh, my God, mush again? What did I do to deserve this terrible punishment? What does a kid have to do to get some decent food around here?

Rick Mearns
www.vancouvermagic.com
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
Rick,

I don't think you should purchase this...but please continue with the good ideas for those of us who want one. LOL Good stuff!

jeff
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Jumbo Linking Safety Pins!

Or how about halfway through your baby routine, you stop, reach BEHIND your diaper, pull out a jumbo pin and say, "I thought something felt funny back there."

Rick Mearns
www.vancouvermagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Axtell's "Big Baby" Product / Invitation to you! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL