The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Axtell's "Big Baby" Product / Invitation to you! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
1. What if the ONLY version we made was ALL FABRIC (no latex) and live hands (no fake hands)? Would that be a big fat ugly mistake or just perfect for 99% of you?

2. Should both Boy and Girl clothes both come with the set? Or separate units? YOU HELP US DECIDE!!!!

3. Re: Bathroom humor.....Hmmm... We won't be selling any fake poop. If you do it, that's your biz. Squirter is being considered, but is that worth the cost to 100% of them, or should it be an option?

4. If we make only live hand options, should we include a pacifier, rattle and bottle?

5. How important is an Axtell produced CD to do the routine?

Do you think it's okay to do the squirter in kids shows / schools? Or, is this something you are reserving for adult shows? I need to know your thoughts. Is it cute or gross? Different cultures view it differently, I realize. Let me know your thoughts on 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5.

Thanks!

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Pro Puppets, Magic & Animatronics
Smoke & Mirrors
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of Smoke & Mirrors
1. What if the ONLY version we made was ALL FABRIC (no latex) and live hands (no fake hands)? Would that be a big fat ugly mistake or just perfect for 99% of you?

I think that is how I would use it, no fake hands.

2. Should both Boy and Girl clothes both come with the set? Or separate units? YOU HELP US DECIDE!!!!

How about just something neutral? Reds, yellows or greens?

3. Re: Bathroom humor.....Hmmm... We won't be selling any fake poop. If you do it, that's your biz. Squirter is being considered, but is that worth the cost to 100% of them, or should it be an option?

Fake poop! Why didn't I think of that?...leave a hole (at least) for the option for us to add a squirter.

4. If we make only live hand options, should we include a pacifier, rattle and bottle?

No need, those are easy enough to buy from WalMart, and some may not use them.

5. How important is an Axtell produced CD to do the routine?

Personally, I would never use a pre-done routine, you might want to make it an option.

Do you think it's okay to do the squirter in kids shows / schools?

Absolutely!

Is it cute or gross?

Neither. It's funny.

Thanks for asking our thoughts Steve!
-aaron
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Quote:
On 2007-01-06 22:52, axtell wrote:
Do you think it's okay to do the squirter in kids shows / schools? Or, is this something you are reserving for adult shows? I need to know your thoughts. Is it cute or gross?
Thanks!
Ax

I do a gag where I shout out, "Hey, do you guys want some FREE stuff?" The kids always yell back, "Yeah!"... I then pull out a water bottle and start squirting it out into the audience.

Hey, free stuff or pee stuff, they'll both get the big laughs. I also think they will know (at least the adults) that it's only water. Smile

Rick Mearns
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I was actually looking forward to your Ax trak with simple songs and sound effects (no need for a full vent routine but just general baby googles and gurgles, giggles and crying and wailing sounds - maybe some light snoring, burping and farting). I could realy use this both with the big baby and the cry baby product.

Unisex is in today, and as Aaron said above - a neutral color would probably be the answer.

Squirting could be an option.

Pacifier, rattle and bottle should be part of the bundle in my opinion.

I quite like latex rather than fabric and the inside arm rods on fake hands looks like it would be more fun for an audience volunteer because if he had to put his real arms through he might not know what to do with them and just leave them flat on the bed. arm rods can just go 'up and down' whilst you ask him questions or play some baby tunes and sounds.

Dani
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
***Idea Smile

You could wear a pirate's hat and have pirate props and be Pirates of the Crib-bean. Smile

Rick Mearns
www.vancouvermagic.com
Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.
David Allen
View Profile
New user
Atlanta, Georgia
22 Posts

Profile of David Allen
Hey Ax. Is there a way to make the bed fold up like a magic shade. You know the sun shield for car windshields. Those bend up into a small circle. Could that be a good way of packing it smaller? Just a thought. Love the new product!!

Dave
Chuck Lyons
View Profile
Loyal user
Channahon, IL
264 Posts

Profile of Chuck Lyons
Steve I love it!!!! I am on the list please let me know when this becomes available. I can't wait to use it. Can you imagine Chuckles the clown as a baby. Humm I wonder what a baby clown eats.... Oh well can't wait. chuck
RickVancouver
View Profile
Special user
Vancouver, BC
693 Posts

Profile of RickVancouver
Don't know about a clown, but I think a baby Einstein would eat baby formula... something like E = mc². Smile

Rick
www.vancouvermagic.com
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
So many good ideas from you all...thanks! Okay, we have updated the design of the Big Babies with some very cool features and a new demo page.

All fabric body - lower cost and lighter weight!

Human arm feature - now you can use your real hands, suck thumb, hold things and do magic!

Diaper Storage area - very large prop compartment completely empty hollow inside the diaper! Pull out a rabbit, a squirt gun, a bottle, a production item, etc!

We'll be refining this in the next few weeks and already have a mega waiting list with many of you on it..... let me know what you think!

http://www.axtell.com/big_babies.html

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
dking66
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of dking66
Looks awesome, Ax! I've been on the waiting list for a number of weeks. Now... when do you think these will be ready to ship? Many thanks, Ax... and keep up the great work!
Doug
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
I'm pretty sure we'll start shipping to the first ones on the list in 2 weeks! The CD will not be ready by then however....so now is the time to let me know anything you think would make a great CD.

I'm thinking of a "going back in time" kind of background music with lots of harp in it so you can talk over it as you get dressed up (or as they dress someone else up) and then it settles to a lullaby xylophone music - sleepy.....restless sleepy sounds.....laughing.....sleepy sound......(sucking thumb).....then huge cry! WAAAAHHH.......(similar to my cry on the clip) .... music changes to anxious rhytmns during crying....until he spots his diaper......music at that point should probably become comical and just be a loop so you could let it go as long as you decide, or fade it out, for your unique routine etc. Then perhaps some outro tag music for when you take it off and take your bow. Any other ideas welcome.....burps, farts,....nothing too gross though.

Might be kind of fun to start drinking a bottle then start crying (gas) then look around for mommy (gone) start crying more....then start tapping yourself on the back....big burp......then calm down....then a fart.....then go cross-eyed and hold your nose....then start crying again.......then what?
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
The Baby bed measures about 3 feet (36 inches) in length and 2 feet wide. How important would it be to be able to fold the bed in half to 1.5 feet instead of 3 feet? We would have to then put in some kind of brace across the fold to keep it strong ready for performing, but it's possible to do. You thoughts on the folding as well as the CD. Thanks.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
The Great Smartini
View Profile
Inner circle
2280 Posts

Profile of The Great Smartini
This looks like a complete winner...I've sent Betsy an email to be added to the wait list. Between you and Chance Wolf I'm going to go broke!
Habu
View Profile
Veteran user
Texas / Alabama
393 Posts

Profile of Habu
Quote:
On 2007-03-30 23:49, The Great Smartini wrote:
This looks like a complete winner...I've sent Betsy an email to be added to the wait list. Between you and Chance Wolf I'm going to go broke!

It's great going broke to make money!

Steve's inventions make up a major portion of two of my 3 acts for children's shows. I can't work these babies into my 3rd act, but I may be adding a new act down the road a piece featuring either the babies or some safari stuff.

Great stuff Steve, (and the magic drawing board being used with the special effects drawing board is doing great!)

Hey, did you see my lips move? Smile
www.magicbyhabu.com
Habu: Taken from SR-71 spy plane I worked on. It's name came from a poisonous snake on Okinawa. Hope my magic isn't poisonous!
danryb
View Profile
Special user
506 Posts

Profile of danryb
I just checked out the new quick demo on the website.
I love latex but I suppose fabric will play just as well with this particular prop.
the diaper storage area is fantastic.
real hands will be an advantage I'm sure but this omits the option to 'wiggle' the legs up and down.

I store all my Axtell Puppets in hard covered Samsonite suitcases on casters for easy and safe transport from show to show. 3 feet is not a problem and I don't think this should be a fold up item that has to necessarily 'pack small'. As long as the sides fold over the baby to safe keep it and hide the baby from sight until ready to perform/unfold - that should be fine.

the only issue I can not imagine, at this time, is unravelling the sides once it is over my head and my arms are in place (if I do it on myself). I guess the sides will have to be opened before my hands are inserted into the sleeves!

quote:
"Might be kind of fun to start drinking a bottle then start crying (gas) then look around for mommy (gone) start crying more....then start tapping yourself on the back....big burp......then calm down....then a fart.....then go cross-eyed and hold your nose....then start crying again.......then what?"

it's a hard life being a baby and not being able to talk. must keep in mind that once the cd/track is playing, the performer will/might not have control over the music (because his hands are in the baby sleeves) so the track should have at least 2 routines to chose from: 1 short 3 minutes and one long 5 minutes.

the short one can consist of basic sound effects, possibly a drum roll and a tune whilst pulling stuff out of the diaper and playing/showing them to the audience (this could be a magic trick or something small with a thumb tip).

the long routine could consist of the short routine and then follow up with a lullaby where the baby falls asleep and then... everything goes quiet... for a few brief seconds... and then... out of the blue.... the babies hand falls to the side, dropping his bottle with a loud thump on the floor and the baby starts yelling again. Then as he is trying to reach for the bottle his other hand loses grip of the dummy and that also falls. everything gets hectic until the final build up where the baby recalls storing a rattle in his diaper. he gets the rattle, looks at it, calms down (still mumbling and crying), shakes the rattle and whacks himself on the head - knocking himself out and...
that is the end of the routine.

enjoy,
Dani
dking66
View Profile
Loyal user
295 Posts

Profile of dking66
It would be real nice if the CD had a track for a spectator. I like the idea of making the spectator the baby... then telling him to act out whatever sounds or actions come from the CD... including possibly a portion of YMCA or something along those lines.

I also would rather it not break down... 3 feet is no problem.

Thanks!
axtell
View Profile
V.I.P.
Steve Axtell
2126 Posts

Profile of axtell
Very helpful stuff!

Getting into it isn't a problem here's how you do it:

1. Put on the bonnet (or other hat you choose)

2. hold bed in front of you and put your neck into the hole - velcro behind you.

3. sit down on a chair and rest the bed on your knees.

4. Put your arms into the sleeves (underneath a blanket covering the body)

5. pull off the little blanket with your hands - for a big reveal and laugh.

This could easily be done by you on a volunteer, or easily by yourself (as long as you start the music before getting into it). We need to keep the music timed for a slow dress up.

MUSIC
This is why I'm thinking the time-travel reverting back possibly even showing a regression in the music from now (techno - hip-hop - classic rock - disco - sixties - fiftys rock around the clock - then lullaby. Or another idea we have is just do the time travel kind of mysterious music kind of thing until lullaby starts.

I like the idea of 3 different lengths of sound tracks. I just hesitate to choreograph too much of it - I'd rather try to leave it very open for you, but there are times you'll need very funny sound effects.

Do you guys want to do your own CRY and Baby talk like in my video, or do you want that on CD? If you do your own, you'll be able to "baby talk" to your audience so they kind of understand you.....babies and bentlemen.... (ladies and gentlemen) kind of thing or even less intelligible but cute. Have you heard the baby in "A Series of Unfortunate Events"?

Also if using a volunteer, the need for lots of things for them to react to would be important. You may have to prompt them by whispering to them (suck your thumb, get ready to cry, get mad, throw a tantrum, calm down, etc). The worse they are and the more they miss their cues it's funnier to the audience (think Red Skelton) - especially if they are seeing the corporate CEO or School principal make a fool of themselves.

Ax
Axtell Expressions, Inc.
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
This looks really good and funny routines can be made from it. Imagine a baby that has a magic hat bonnet doing tricks.
Dennis Michael
MikeBent
View Profile
Regular user
Boston, MA
174 Posts

Profile of MikeBent
I'm glad everyone likes my idea of the hands addition, and the storage pocket beneath the diaper. I felt this would make a great prop for magicians, if you could use your hands to perform. I'm glad that Steve took my suggestion and added these features. I can't wait to get one myself! Also, I'm thinking that if there were rods connected to the legs you could make the wiggle a bit with your knees or foot.

My idea is to vanish a silk with a thumb tip, then suck your thumb, leaving the tip in my mouth, pretend to look for the silk in my diaper etc. Then there would be a loud recorded burp and then I would pull the silk from my mouth. Vanish it again and it ends up inside the bottle.

CD-wise I think a full routine would be great with music. But I'd also like to see tracks with just the indivdual sounds effects, burbs, cry, sucking noises, for making your own routines.

Mike Bent
Ken Dumm
View Profile
Inner circle
1195 Posts

Profile of Ken Dumm
It might be funny, or just plain gross, to "vanish" the silk into the TT while it's in your mouth, (babies seem to put everything in their mouths), and have it reappear in the the diaper.

Ken
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The little darlings » » Axtell's "Big Baby" Product / Invitation to you! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5~6~7 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.21 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL