The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What is "impromptu" magic? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jaxon
View Profile
Inner circle
Kalamazoo, Mi.
2537 Posts

Profile of Jaxon
You'll hear and read that word a lot in magic. Some seem to have different definitions to the word "impromptu" as far as selecting their magic tricks and props.

I'm just going to share what the word means to me in the magic world. To me there are a number of different types of "impromptu" magic. I think the confusion comes from the fact that sometimes a trick is described as "impromptu" even though it uses a gimmick or there is some preparation involved. Another thing that I think might confuse some people are advertisements that say, "Can be done impromptu" but then it'll also say, "Comes with gimmick or instructions on how to make your gimmick".

So let me try to explain the different types of impromptu magic. At least this is how I see the issue.

Completely (or 100%) impromptu
When I read this about an effect I take that to mean I need absolutely nothing to do it and there is no preparation. In other words if it's done with a dollar bill, I can pick it up and do the trick right away. Or it could mean I don't even need an object to perform the trick such as finger tricks, arm twisting, balducci levitation, etc...

Can be done impromptu
When I read something like this I tend to think that the trick might have some preparation to it. But I can do that preparation during the performance. For example maybe I have to put a secret fold or tear in a borrowed bill.

This also might mean there is an impromptu version of the trick included with it. For example my trick called Outsmokin. Roger Klause does a similar trick with a real cigarette and is completely impromptu. So in a sense it's like an impromptu version of Outsmokin (Although he did his years before Outsmokin came out).

Can be done anytime (or semi-impromptu)
To me this is another type of impromptu trick that uses a gimmick or an object. For example vanishing salt with a thumb tip. I can perform that trick at any time I have the thumb tip on me and there's no get ready to it. All I need is that one gimmick and a salt shaker. I didn't plan to perform it so I consider that "impromptu".

The same goes for other things like an ITR. If I have it on me then when I perform with it I consider that impromptu.

There's much more to say about this but I'll leave it here for now. Basically I just want to point out that "impromptu" doesn't always mean you don't have to do anything to perform it. It either means you don't need to prepare in advance or you can perform it at a moments notice.

Another thing I think is important to mention is the fact that no matter what is involved on your end. Your spectators won't know the difference in most cases. To them it doesn't matter if you just decided to do it or if it took you hours to set it up. Don't limit yourself to tricks that are impromptu. It's nice to know them but the end effect is what you should be mostly concerned about. If you don't want to take some time to prepare an effect then magic isn't something you'll do very well with.

I hope this helps or at least get someone thinking about it.

Ron Jaxon

After regaining my ability to hear after 20 years of deafness. I learned that there is magic all around you. The simplest sounds that amazed me you probably ignore. Look and listen around you right now. You'll find something you didn't notice before.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6111 Posts

Profile of Jaz
I couldn't agree more.
By definition Impromptu is:
Prompted by the occasion rather than being planned in advance.
Performed, done, or composed with little or no preparation.

Little or no preparation sits well with me.
After all, Impromptu magic is in the eye and mind of the audience as is most magic.
usg353d
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of usg353d
Thanks Jaxon!
airship
View Profile
Inner circle
In my day, I have driven
1594 Posts

Profile of airship
You have to be PREPARED to perform impromptu. That may involve just learning and practicing the trick, or it may involve rigging a found item, or even carrying along a gimmick that makes it all work. But what you're aiming for is to impress the spectator that you have done some magic in a relaxed, natural setting, seemingly without preparation or special 'magical' props.

Remember that magic isn't about the trick, it's about the presentation.
'The central secret of conjuring is a manipulation of interest.' - Henry Hay
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » What is "impromptu" magic? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL