The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Info needed on finger chopper (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Hi there! I am trying to find out info on a finger chopper I had back in the mid to late 70's. It was thin, silver in color and the entire thing was metal. There were no plastic or wood parts at all. It had the standard large hole for a finger and then the smaller hole underneath for a cigarette. I would love to figure out the manufacturer of it to see if I could locate one now! Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
m.ruetz
View Profile
Veteran user
Peoria Arizona, USA
378 Posts

Profile of m.ruetz
I am not sure but you may be looking for
the Micky Hades finger chopper.
MagicGizmo: Magic Articles, Classifieds, Videos, and more
http://magicgizmo.com
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I've seen the chopper you're talking about, but can't remember the maker. It was all-metal, and it was either riveted around the edges or had tiny metal screws holding the body of the chopper together. It was/is a very nice chopper. I had one of those once. I still have about 20 choppers of different types in the display case, including 2 Hades (an old and a new one) and a Mafia Manicure. Hope you find one of the ones you're looking for.

Steve Thomas
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Steve-

That is correct, it did have the small metal rivets around the edges holding the body together. Does that fit the description of your Hades? Let me know too if you come across any pics of it....

Thanks!

Allan
roguemagic
View Profile
New user
bizarre iowa
96 Posts

Profile of roguemagic
The Mickey Hades Finger Chopper that I own is wood with a metal blade.

Take care,
Craig
martini
View Profile
Special user
delta, pennsylvania
543 Posts

Profile of martini
Allan, that finger chopper was popular from the mid 60's into the late 70's, unfortunately it was a Tannen finger chopper which to my knowledge is no longer made. It was very well made, I remember them as I used to carry them myself. Get in touch with Mario Carrandi and tell him you are looking for the early Tannen all metal finger chopper, he'll know the one and may be the best source to find it.
Hope this helps
All the Best
Marty
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Thanks for the info Marty! I did contact Mario and he does think it was a Tannen's as well. The interesting thing, I had emailed Tannen's and they said they had never made an all silver one...

When I was at an antique store today with my wife we found a Hollywood Magic catalogue from ~1980, and found the finger chopper in there! Unfortunately, it was just a line drawing of it and not a photo and they did not list the manufacturer....The mystery continues!
Dennis Michael
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern, NJ
6018 Posts

Profile of Dennis Michael
Guys, It was an Adam's Finger Chopper, sold in your local 5 & 10 cent store and novelity stores. I still have mine and it is far better than the plastic ones they sell today.

At least with this one you could let them examine it. If they didn't know how it worked it was difficult finding the trigger to release the gimmick. If not carefull one could really cut someone's finger enough to get stitches. They came in white and I painted mine red. (To hide the blood)
Dennis Michael
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
Dennis,

No, it couldn't be one of the Adams Choppers, they had wooden uprights holding the top (white plastic part) on. They also came in about 4 (or was it just 3) different colors. I have red, white and blue in my chopper collection. They later pulled 'em from the market since kids who bought 'em were too stupid, and ended up actually hurting people. They changed 'em to "Cigarette Cutters", and they had 3 holes where the one big fingerhole was before.

Steve Thomas
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Dennis-

Thank you very much for researching and sending the pic of the Adams. Steve is correct, it definitely wasn't an Adams one.

The chopper was all metal, was shiny silver (not painted), had the one large hole for a finger and one small hole underneath for a cigarette, was thin, was not able to stand on its own (had no base), the blade unit could not be removed from the body and the chopper had small rivets around the edges which held it together.

If anyone has any further ideas or pics, I am still very interested in finding out more about it! Thanks!!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
I think I can research it through some of my old (and I mean OLD) Ron Allesi catalogs and Sun Magic catalogs. I have about 20 years worth of 'em, and most have pictures and descriptions. May take a couple days.

Steve Thomas
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Thank you Steve! I would appreciate it! Are the Sun Magic catalogues out of Phoenix? I spent many a day of my youth hanging out there!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
The very same Sun Magic...Jack Sutherland and his wife, Barry Schor and a couple other people. Too bad about the whole way that business (and Jack) ended. Wish I'd been able to visit. Barry's shop is in Mesa, right outside there. I've had some friends visit there, and they say it's just a lot of stuff...sounds like my studio.

Steve Thomas
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Steve-

That is very sad what happened with Jack, he was a great guy. I still see Barry whenever I get back to Phoenix...his shop, Presto Magic does have quite a bit in it! I have great memories though from Sun Magic of being a kid and having George Sands show me some ropes...I guess the next thing I will have to start looking for is some Sun Magic marketed items, since I probably had all of them!
Stevethomas
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern U.S.A.
3724 Posts

Profile of Stevethomas
There weren't many Sun Magic items, let's see, Grandpop's Pearls, 3-Card Monarch, Harry Anderson's Needle Thru Arm (the orignal, threaded bulb version...), Jumbo Marked (still around)...what else was/is there?

Steve Thomas
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Actually, I think you hit them all. Was Grandpop's Pearls called Ruperts Pearls ever? I remember them having a trick where if you "concentrated" hard enough on some glass beads, they would explode!
Michael S
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Michael S
Allan,

The chopper you are asking about was made by Vampire Magic (Max Andrews) in England as well as a very similar model was made by Sherms. I have had both and I have a JPEG pic of the Vampire model (also have a pic of the Sherms somewhere). Here is link to the Vampire version:

http://www.simplymod.com/images/magic12/......pire.jpg

Both models are quite rare and were two of the very best finger choppers ever made.

Hope this helps!
Allan Given
View Profile
Regular user
169 Posts

Profile of Allan Given
Michael-

Thank you so much for the picture! That is almost exact! I would love to see a pic of the Sherms model as well if you have it.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Michael S
View Profile
New user
9 Posts

Profile of Michael S
Hi Allan,

Sure...my pleasure. I will try and find the pic of the Sherms and post as soon as I do. I have been collecting magic apparatus for about 19 years and have only seen a couple of each of these surface.

Will try and get you that pic in the next day or two...depends on how far I need to dig...haha.

Michael
Don Wilson
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Don Wilson
Allan,
I think the chopper you are interested in was in fact sold by Tannen's in the 70's.
I am looking at mine now, and it's aluminum, steel blade, 4 3/4" high, 2" wide and 1/4" thick. It has a locking blade similar to Hades type. It has 3 rounded rivets above the finger hole, and a trademark in the middle of the 3 rivets. I'll try to find the instructions in the next few days.
Don Wilson.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Oldies... but goodies! » » Info needed on finger chopper (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.35 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL