The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Do as I do (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
PaSh
View Profile
New user
1 Post

Profile of PaSh
What do you think about this illussion? As far as my card tricks go I do a lot of them, sometimes when I'm bored I just start doing them to random people in my classes or friends, and I've noticed that out of all the tricks I do, do as I do has to be the easiest and gets amazing reactions. Just out of curiousity though, have you ever been called on when doing this trick? Do you know any variations?

If you don't know the illussion:
Effect: The magician and the spectator get a deck each, shuffle their decks, then shuffle each other's decks to make sure that the magician didn't do anything to the cards. After switching back the spectator does exactly the same as the magician:
Cut the deck, pick up a card, memorise it, bury the deck, cut it one more time.
after that the magician finds his card in the spectator's deck and puts it face down on the table and the spectator finds his card in the magician's deck and puts it face down on the table, when turned over it's the same card.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
'Do As I Do' is the extreme example which tells us "Effect is everything in Magic". If you tend to enjoy skillfulness of your hands and cleverness of method, it is possible you are lost deep in labyrinth. In this labyrinth, no one can understand what lay people think, feel and react.

If you can do 'Do As I Do' effectively, you are a good magician even if you can't do Pass.

Hideo Kato
usg353d
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of usg353d
You can't beat an easy trick with a great reaction.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
And it doesn't get easier than this.
Snidini
View Profile
Special user
786 Posts

Profile of Snidini
It's all about the presentation in the long run. When it's easy and effortless, you have more time to "entertain" which is why you are doing magic anyway.
rhucko1
View Profile
Regular user
Hawaii
126 Posts

Profile of rhucko1
Quote:
Do you know any variations?

There's a bunch of variations. Some use a Curry Turnover Change or similar switches. The basic keycard method seems to be the simplest and the best (IMHO). Very direct and can fool laymen that know a very basic find a card with the keycard principle. Also, great because it involves a spectator. It's a trick that is hard to beat!

Thanks,
Rich
"Card experts agree that the colour change, or transformation, is one of the most magical effects possible with a pack of cards."
- Dai Vernon's Tribute to Nate Leipzig by Lewis Ganson & Dai Vernon
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
I think I remember reading about a 1-deck version of "Do as I Do". Is anyone familiar with this? I can't remember the details - I'm assuming the two cards would be mates. Thx.
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
I've recently used a single deck with the same 3-pile "cut" of "Do as I Do"; same keycard concept, but it does seem to suffer over 2 deck version; spectator involvement and amazement with 2 decks really increases the effect. But, carrying 2 regular decks for me is a luxury -- because I'm so new to this and I don't really perform a lot, one regular deck and an ID is about the limit of what I carry around.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
There is a fantastic version/handling in Card Craft, no need to swap decks.
And another in Walter Gibsons Big Card book, "Triple Do as I Do".
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
Robert Apodaca
View Profile
Special user
504 Posts

Profile of Robert Apodaca
Penguin Magic Has a Do as I Do variation with a triumph at the end. Very easily done.
Doctor REvil
View Profile
Elite user
469 Posts

Profile of Doctor REvil
Paradox of Pairs by Doc Daley in Hugards "Encyclopaedia of card tricks" is a one deck version.

Not sure that the Penguin version is "Do as I Do?", not sure thought they were putting it out as this plot, but in fact is Gibsons "Two card Reverse".....?????
Karma means you buy now & pay later.....think I've over spent....!

Check out my ebooks at the lybrary.....

http://www.lybrary.com/david-gemmell-m-13404.html
Cohiba
View Profile
Special user
Michigan
749 Posts

Profile of Cohiba
Thanks guys. Patrick Page has a related trick where you divide the deck into two halves, each shuffle your half, swap top cards, turn them over, and they are mates. How's that for a run-on sentence? You can repeat this a couple of times, and then the climax is finding the 4 aces. It's a neat routine.
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
I learned this trick about 25 years ago when I first got into magic. It was the first card trick I learned that constantly worked. It got amazing and stunned reactions from the audience. I have been doing it ever since and have never failed to get great results from it. It is simple to do, simple to understand, clean in its handling, and gets right to the point without any dinking around. There are few tricks that can be described this way.

Although it is easy to do, I personally wouldn't call it a self-working trick. There is still a bit of work for one to secretly do and the simplest versions of the trick do require a modicum of spectator management. I don't want to knock this topic off course, so please remember that this is my personal opinion and is stated as such.

There are plenty of versions out there if you have the time, energy, and wherewithall to find them. Some versions use one deck, some use two decks. Some versions reveal one matching card while others I've seen reveal up to four matching cards. I think "Scarne on Card Tricks" has the four-card work. Look for them or try to figure out some versions yourself.

But remember one thing. Kato-san speaks with the voice of experience and is right on the money. When we magicians too much enjoy our own skill of hand, cleverness of method, and complexity of effect, we walk the dark road into a very dangerous labyrinth. We become more impressed and satisfied with our "tricks" than do our audiences. If you get stuck in this labyrinth, the only person you'll fool is yourself. And that is the perfect definition of a "bad magician."

The simplest version of Do As I Do is the only version I'll do. It has always worked the best for me.
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Hideo Kato
View Profile
Inner circle
Tokyo
5649 Posts

Profile of Hideo Kato
Quote:
On 2006-12-25 23:59, Patrick Differ wrote:
But remember one thing. Kato-san speaks with the voice of experience and is right on the money. When we magicians too much enjoy our own skill of hand, cleverness of method, and complexity of effect, we walk the dark road into a very dangerous labyrinth. We become more impressed and satisfied with our "tricks" than do our audiences. If you get stuck in this labyrinth, the only person you'll fool is yourself. And that is the perfect definition of a "bad magician."

Thank you very much for writing my belief very clearly.
I have been in this dark Labyrinth for a while. Mr.Maric advised me with his severe voice, "Kato-san, if you won't throw away such enjoyments, you will be amateur in whole your life".

My resolution for coming new year is to throw away things I should not keep. I will read my notes of my creations and will throw away mediocre ones. I will throw away magic books I am sure I won't read any more.

I am not young, so I must read, eat, do only good things for me. I gave up practicing Pass, for example.

Hideo Kato
landmark
View Profile
Inner circle
within a triangle
5023 Posts

Profile of landmark
Their is a one-deck Do as I Do in one of the Ganson Vernon books--credited to Jay Ose. I like this version very much as there is a little bit of off the cuff thinking necessary at times that keeps me on my toes. Also, it gives me a chance to prepare for Shuffle-Bored . . .

Jack Shalom
Patrick Differ
View Profile
Inner circle
1540 Posts

Profile of Patrick Differ
Is that the four of a kind production? If it is, I'll tell you that one is an absolute favorite of mine. It also makes a sweet little set up for MacDonald's Aces. Inner Secrets of Card Magic, or Further Inner Secrets of Card Magic. One or the other. Boy! That's good stuff...
Will you walk into my parlour? said the Spider to the Fly,
Tis the prettiest little parlour that ever you did spy;
The way into my parlour is up a winding stair,
And I've a many curious things to show when you are there.

Oh no, no, said the little Fly, to ask me is in vain,
For who goes up your winding stair
-can ne'er come down again.
Keith Mitchell
View Profile
Special user
796 Posts

Profile of Keith Mitchell
I love Do-as-I-do, but I had to figure out a reason to pull out two decks of cards. Going through Mark Wilson's complete course in magic, I discovered The Color Changing Decks (two deck version).

I pull out two decks of cards, one red and one blue,both have brand new seals. First I do the Color Changing Decks effect, then I do the Do-As-I-Do. After those two effects I go on with another effect called Hat Trick from Card College.

This is my very first 3-effects routine. Very simple, fast, and fun.
Lester
View Profile
Regular user
Scotland. U.K
191 Posts

Profile of Lester
I also really like Do-as-I-Do card effects. Magic, I firmly believe, is all about entertainment and necessarily whether or not you can execute a perfect glide.

Cohiba, that Pat Page effect that you outlined sounds great! Does it appear in one of his books or is it published elsewhere? Where O Where can I get it? Thanks, in advance, for your help.

Posted: Jan 11, 2007 6:10pm
Sorry Folks,

Put it down to having a senior moment! I have just noticed a glaring error in my last post. It should of course read "Magic, I firmly believe, is all about entertainment and not necessarily about whether or not you can execute a perfect glide."

I shall go now and sit quietly in a darkened room with my mug of Horlicks!
Mikey-Flys
View Profile
Regular user
Edmonton, Alberta
179 Posts

Profile of Mikey-Flys
I also like Darwin Ortiz's "Do as I Did" (from "At the card table") which has another reason for pulling out the second deck... It isn't quite as clean as "Do as I Do" but I do feel it elevates the effect.
the fritz
View Profile
Special user
646 Posts

Profile of the fritz
I think Patrick Differ is right. The original version is the simplest and still the best. As far as variations go, I believe Hugard's Encyclopedia of Card Tricks has an entire chapter devoted to Do as I Do tricks.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » All in the cards » » Do as I do (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.13 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL