The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying balls which ones (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Quote:
On 2006-12-18 11:00, cinemagician wrote:
One gripe about Fakini's- the red balls are pink. Why can't they make em' in Red! [?]

I asked Frank that very question. His answer, "We tried that once, but, the balls fell apart when we added too much red coloring."

Kregg
POOF!
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5834 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
The white ones show up better, anyway. But, if you need red ones, I think the Gorilla Grip balls are available in bright red.

I love Fakinis, though! They're what I own. I wish that the uncoated shells were available. I stocked up on a bunch of used ones. The coated shells have to be replaced too often, because the coating peels.
Steven Steele
View Profile
Chief of Staff
1901 Posts

Profile of Steven Steele
I have been using the Fakini Balls for years and they work really well. The wooden balls I've used in the past have been difficult to use and I never could figure out why. Recently, I purchased (for another routine) some balls manufactured by Owens Magic. I talked to Alan and he says the difference is in the finish and it's a really tedious process. The balls are wood and blow the Fakini Balls out of the water in terms of handling. So I'll be saving my money and purchasing a set of balls from Owen, maybe this year, and the Fakini's will go on the shelf.
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
One Word: FAKINI!!
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Wood Smile
You do have to be careful about the finish on the wooden balls and buy high quality ones. This is because once the ball is painted it needs to be coated in Shellac. This is a porous material, which means you need to warm up the balls as it were, because once your balls and hands are warm then the tack from the paint comes through. This gives you the good grip. Incidently this is wonderful for body loads and under hot stage lights.
To really upset some people... I've recently being reading the books of Benson and Wakeling, and they both (well, Benson taught Wakeling) recommend balls larger...larger than 2 inches. I've not tried them, but I can see why, and intend to try them for myself.
Paul
dlcmagic
View Profile
Special user
887 Posts

Profile of dlcmagic
I own two sets of Fakini balls. A rocket red and a white set. Great product !
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
Is there anyway to get Fakinis in a dark red, or another good billard ball in the dark red color. I have always wanted to work with Fakinis, but white just doesn't fit my act.
Rob Pond
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
I have heard that they can not make them in pure red or a darker red as it starts to destroy the silicone. This is why you see the red Fakini balls are a much more subdued red color.

What I have done for simple color changes is to get super bounce balls at different toy stores. They work rather nicely and allow me to do color changes. When the balls wear out or get brittle, they are cheap enough for me to just buy a few more. This allows me to be creative without breaking my budget either.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1221 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
The Vernets have always worked well for me and are much easier to grip. Also, I like the matching zombie, which I have routined to follow the balls...
WoodRat
View Profile
Loyal user
California
233 Posts

Profile of WoodRat
I still love my 48mm red wooden balls. I bought them several years back at a local shop that has since closed. They are the perfect size and weight, and the smooth finish of the paint grabs very nicely on my fingers and nothing else.

Cheers,
WoodRat
Learn something new everyday.
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Quote:
On 2006-12-15 22:28, montemagic wrote:
Fakini, Fakini, Fakini

I have bought the Vernet, and the golf balls, but always go back to Fakini.

Personally, I hate the Vernet "spike" style balls. They really hurt when you use them for a long time. Or maybe I'm just a wuss.

DW
Dizzy
View Profile
Elite user
UK
437 Posts

Profile of Dizzy
I have to agree with the other guys and girls. Fakini all the way. I've heard that the creator isn't very well so he has stopped making them, is that true?

Diane
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1221 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
After years of defending 1.5 inch Vernets,(including on this thread) and struggling to do a triple roll with them, I got to wrap my fingers around some Fakinis at Dennys in Baltimore today. I did the triple roll with the 2-inch balls before I even left the store, with a great new set of billiard balls, of course. If you like the balls at all, try the Fakinis, they sure made a believer out of me. Now I have to find a similar light white ball to add the zombie effect.
Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
Hey,

To be honest I can only reccomend fakinis as they are the only balls that ive used and they are absolutely amazing. You can do all of the moves with these easily. Also if you are going to get a set get 2" in white as they look more like 2 1/8" (Alan Wakeling). If you don't think you can handle that size trust me you can. I have very small hands and so does denny from denny and lee magic and he can use 2 1/8".

Hope that helps,

Sam
MJP
View Profile
New user
74 Posts

Profile of MJP
Mcharisse,

You could always buy a large white styrofoam ball sold at most craft sections (like at Wal-Mart). I made a Zombie out of one and it is pretty cool.

Jeff
mcharisse
View Profile
Inner circle
York. PA
1221 Posts

Profile of mcharisse
Jeff,

thanks, looked at those and thought about adding one for fu,. I also found some hollow plastic balls in a vending machine at toys are us that are exactly the same size as the 2-inch fakinis. Bought two - turned one into a zombie to float one of the multiplying balls, the other and hankerchief ball. A little testors white gloss and they match really well.
sawuin2
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of sawuin2
Fakini are the best- however, be prepared for a long wait if you're not getting white...I ordered the yellow in October and I am still waiting for them.
Juniper587
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of Juniper587
Sawuin2,

Yeah it is true that sometimes you will wait a long time. But it is definately worth the wait. Anyway if your practising a lot you should have to worry about the wait as you will be practising something else.

Sam
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Multiplying balls which ones (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL