The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » George Anderson's 'This Must Be Mindreading' (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

pyro
View Profile
Regular user
120 Posts

Profile of pyro
Does someone own this book? Would you recommend it for a beginner in mentalism? thanks in advance!
Caleb Strange
View Profile
Special user
Manchester UK
676 Posts

Profile of Caleb Strange
Anderson's 'It must be Mindreading' is a great book, full of subtlety and detail. But it's not really a beginner's book. It builds on the basics. That doesn't mean beginner's shouldn't read it, but you'll appreciate its subtlety more, as your experience grows.

There's always the danger of reading a book too soon, and leaving a classic on the shelf gathering dust, as I've done. Read it by all means, but ground yourself in the classics, Annemann and Corinda, too. And every once in a while, dust off an 'unimpressive' volume from your shelves, and see if you can't find some gold in it after all.

Regards,

Caleb Strange.
-- QCiC --
leondo
View Profile
Special user
Las Vegas
759 Posts

Profile of leondo
[quote]On 2003-01-04 18:09, Caleb Strange wrote:

There's always the danger of reading a book too soon, and leaving a classic on the shelf gathering dust.....

WOW! There's a quote to ponder.

How true it is!!
Ted Leondo)
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Funny you should say that! I got a copy of his Dynamic Mentalism booklet years and years and years ago. I just picked it up the other night and dusted it down. Its a really good booklet. But you need balls to Q&A the way he explains it.

Has anyone done presentations in the "Dynamic" style?
debaser
View Profile
Special user
Boulder
557 Posts

Profile of debaser
I would strongly recommend the Anderson book but agree with caleb that it is not a beginners book.

Not because of difficulty as much as type of effects. (a little too much too soon)

Matt
gavilondo
View Profile
New user
Spain
14 Posts

Profile of gavilondo
To Shrink,
Hello.
I've done Dynamite Mentalism Q&A hundreds of times. Absolutely no problem with this.
It's a very powerful act.
Check Docc Hilford's Perfect Club Act video for his performance of this.

Gavilondo
luis@gavilondo.com
Ars longa, vita brevis.
shrink
View Profile
Inner circle
2609 Posts

Profile of shrink
Gavilondo: It does look like fun to do. I have done elements of it mixed in with preshow Q&A. But not pure. I guess it just takes time to work up to it. And if your in a position where you are working regular I suppose you would create your own answers.

And I have seen Docs perfect club act video, it was an interesting idea.
Feral Chorus
View Profile
Elite user
CA
495 Posts

Profile of Feral Chorus
Pyro,

I bought this book and am a beginner. The mechanics of the routines are not difficult. However, the routines would be difficult to present well without some performing experience. My feeling is that the material can be stunning in the right hands. As far as George Anderson's intentions in writing the booklet, from page 3:

"A set of rules guided me in writing this book. Here they are:
1. No confederates or assistants necessary for any trick.
2. No cumbersome or heavy gimmicks.
3. A balance between close-up and platform work.
4. No card effects for platform work.
5. No effects that require elaborate make-ready.
6. No material that hasn't been thoroughly tested.
7. The simplest method, new or old, original or adapted to achieve the effect."

The book is priced right and provides some great insight on presentation that is suitable and usable for the beginner.
sifo
View Profile
New user
brazil
36 Posts

Profile of sifo
It is a great book, (although it is not a beginners book)
thiago
View Profile
Regular user
Brazil
179 Posts

Profile of thiago
It's a very good book, Anderson is one the big minds in mentalism and this book is a powerful text on the subject but I don't think it's a beginners book.
Ian Rowland
View Profile
Special user
London
889 Posts

Profile of Ian Rowland
Great book. I recommend anything with this guy's name on. Worth studying and learning from.

True, it's not a 'my first book of mentalism' book. Then again, Anderson's books aren't always to get hold of, so if you're a beginner, get hold of his book(s) whenever you get the chance, and if necessary wait a while until you build up experience and can gain max benefit from what this great man teaches.

... and that should have read "aren't always easy to get hold of"

As you were.
www.ianrowland.com . Working Magic.
Necromancer
View Profile
Inner circle
Chicago
3076 Posts

Profile of Necromancer
They're actually pretty easy to get hold of here in the States.

Magic Inc. (Jay Marshall's shop in Chicago) keeps Anderson's titles in print. Dynamite Mentalism; It Must Be Mindreading; You, Too Can Read Minds; and his Lecture Notebook are all in stock, according to their web site http://www.magicinc.net
though between you and me I'd stick to ordering by phone,
888-550-1022,
773-334-2855.

As for their value, I agree with Ian completely. Powerful effects, coupled with direct but not-for-the-faint-of-heart methods. All in all, Anderson gives his readers one *&^^ of an education.
Creator of The Xpert (20 PAGES of reviews!), Cut & Color, Hands-Off Multiple ESP (HOME) System, Rider-Waite Readers book, Zoom Pendulum ebook ...
SandyWeber
View Profile
Regular user
121 Posts

Profile of SandyWeber
I believe Magic, Inc. sells all of Mr. Anderson's books bound together as one called, "The Books of Anderson".

What a GREAT collection!

Best,

Sandy
Polidor1@aol.com
domclarke
View Profile
Regular user
Windsor, UK
147 Posts

Profile of domclarke
Magic Books by Post in the UK also sell "It must be Mind Reading", and "You too, can read minds".
Pharaoh
View Profile
Regular user
123 Posts

Profile of Pharaoh
Could anyone provide a list of the contents of It Must Be Mindreading and You Too, Can Read Minds or the type of effects within them?
BIlly James
View Profile
Special user
991 Posts

Profile of BIlly James
I'll add to the list of those who recommend this book but hasten to add it is not really a beginners book, although the writing style is not really contemporary the effects and subtleties of course can be easily translated to a modern audience.
I actually no longer have this book due to an unfortunate incident so if anyone has a copy they no longer require......
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » George Anderson's 'This Must Be Mindreading' (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL