The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2006 entrée: R P Wilson » » Routine from Royal Road » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

GG
View Profile
New user
UK
85 Posts

Profile of GG
Hi Paul,
Good to see you on here,I would also like to thank you for the royal road set of dvd's really good stuff. It is a book I bought as a kid some 25 years ago,and worked my way through most but not all then,and after coming back into magic some years later still find my self reading it and your dvd's have been most helpfull to comlete the course, In the routines section it gives various ideas and tricks,if you had to do a five or six trick linking routine out of the royal road,in an everyday setting what would be your pick,and please give some advise on routines in general.
Many Thanks
GG
R P Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
235 Posts

Profile of R P Wilson
I think the tricks I would pick are:

1. Establish your ability, capture interest: A colour change (repeat once).

2. Involve someone, establish ability: The Changing Card.

3. Perform a feat with the cards: Gathering Of The Clan

4. Demonstrate a power with the cards: The Pulse Trick or Non-Poker Voice.

5. Have a little fun with them: Design For Laughter

6: Blow them away: Cards Cross

7: Big Finish: Ladies Looking Glass or Spring Catch

This is six tricks with an opeing demonstration (the colour changes). Each effect is preceded with it's role in the routine (as I see it). As I look back oover the book I see so many great effects that the routiunes you could do are endless!

Hope this helps.
GG
View Profile
New user
UK
85 Posts

Profile of GG
Thanks Paul,I really do appreiciate you taking the time to answer. I will get to work on it.
Have a good one, cheers.
GG
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
It may sound crazy, but I've been studying just the first chapter for the last month. Refuse to move on until I master each chapter. Made that my own personal rule. One thing I've been finding myself doing is experimenting with the different techniques for controlling the deck and where the cards are. I'm still a little slow, but am building momentum as I get comfortable with handling the deck.

What study techniques would you recommend to improve my (or any other person's) practice?
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
R P Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
235 Posts

Profile of R P Wilson
You've go the right idea by mastering each chapter before moving on.

I think it's good to practise consciously, going through a move and examining how it feels and how you can improve your hadling but you should also practise in context - by going through the tricks and timing the moves properly, making them feel natural.

Finally, keep a deck in your hands whenever possible - especially when watching TV. With your mind concentrating elsewhere the hands learn the move as you continually practice. this is like subconscious practising and is very good at ironing out wrinkles but take care not to pick up bad habits.

If you learn the move correctly, then understand how it is used, the hands can be free to get used to it.

P
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Thanks for the information and for taking the time to be on this website in spite of your busy schedule. We appreciate it more than you may ever realize.
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
wsduncan
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
3618 Posts

Profile of wsduncan
Best teaching of the Top Change I've ever see on the Royal Road DVD set. Clear, direct and simple (not easy, but simple).

Good stuff Mr. Wilson!

Oh,and I second your recommendations for Gathering Of The Clan and Devant's Cards Across. Both are small miracles that have stood the test of time.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2006 entrée: R P Wilson » » Routine from Royal Road » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL