The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Not very magical... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Mayo
View Profile
Loyal user
WorymWood
211 Posts

Profile of Mayo
Hey guys,

I have been having an awful magic month. I have been trying to come up with a new effect or two for a couple of months, but nothing is happening, my magic is less than inspiring in recent months and it is really getting me down.
I have been working on a walk around routine for little of a week now and cannot even think of how to begin.
Any advice?

~Mayo
"I love the night. It's the only time I feel really alive."

---Helen Chandler in the film "Dracula" (1931)
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to l
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4189 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
Go out and view other forms of creative media...

reading book always inspires me...

Robertson Davies

Fifth Business...

Great book...

I am suprised it hasn't been adapted for a book test yet...
xxx
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3422 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Mayo,
Sometimes it can be difficult to get energized and inspired by magic alone. Get out and see some movies, listen to some new music. Go to an museum and view some pieces. Read a non-magic related book. Take an acting class just for the hell of it! Spend time in nature, put the magic away for a short time until you find your ground and creativity again.

Do you keep a journal? This is something which has been extremely useful to me.
Also, listen to and watch your dreams. They are there for a reason.

Take care,
J.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
braddevant
View Profile
Regular user
133 Posts

Profile of braddevant
There is much more to life than magic, get out and experience life and as you store new experiences you will have new territory to create with.
Mystician
View Profile
Inner circle
Wallachia
3485 Posts

Profile of Mystician
Ironically enough, probably the best thing to do is stop thinking about it. Stop trying. Allow yourself a break.
Creativity comes to us on it's terms, not ours.
(sux, I know)

Just hanging out with the rest of my fellow dregs.
http:// www . phrets . com
Visit http://www.bizarremagic.net
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcosa
10571 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
Here is a formula...

X=Something you have a passion for (anything - mountain climbing, cooking, music etc - define it to a focus)

Y=A favourite class of magical effects

Z=The perspective of a Martian/Terminator/Something removed from your headspace (use the imagination)

X*Y/Z=A new magic effect tailored to you
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
Eddie Garland
View Profile
Inner circle
Hells Kitchen, New York City
4190 Posts

Profile of Eddie Garland
That was lovely Dr. Spektor....I saw and felt the black board!
Mayo
View Profile
Loyal user
WorymWood
211 Posts

Profile of Mayo
Ack, I hate those rules, I really don't feel we should be confined to when creativity decides to show up.

*Just got back from writing the effect*

"The magician explains that we are so often caught in the hustle and bustle of life, we rarely relax and allow ourselves time to witness the beauty of nature."

The Magician pulls a silk from his bare hands.

"This silk is something nature offers us. It is appealing, not much for entertaining, but appealing. Now if we allow ourselves to relax, and think back to when we would use our imaginations to create our dreams. Nature was a thing of wonder; let’s try to recreate our wonder if even for a brief moment."

Reach out to the air, and pull a light that matches the silk, toss it into the silk, and the silk comes to life, and dances around for however long you would like the effect to last, and as it comes to an end.

"The little sparkle of magic still exists in every aspect of our lives; we just have to see it."

*End*

I know the patter is archaic but those of you, who know me, know this is how all of my patter is outlined. I normally write it like this for easy adaptation the story is told in a readable manner to grasp how it should be presented, but in the end it is up to the person who performs on how and what they use and say.

~Mayo
"I love the night. It's the only time I feel really alive."

---Helen Chandler in the film "Dracula" (1931)
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to l
Black Hart
View Profile
Elite user
Scottish Highlands
458 Posts

Profile of Black Hart
Quote:
I have been trying to come up with a new effect or two for a couple of months, but nothing is happening

A couple of months! Sometimes it takes years to come up with a new effect or routine. Black Artefacts only sells effects and routines that are developed by me and I try to introduce a couple each year.

There is no magic formula (sorry Dr Spektor) for this and I find inspiration in many ways. Sometimes it begins with a nice prop I have found. Sometimes I think of a method to do something and then I need to develop the routine. It could be almost anything that sparks the creative juices. However most often it is just ***ed HARD work. One of the hardest things to do is to sit down at a blank computer screen and come up with an idea.

Mystician is correct in that ideas will develop in your subconcious if you just 'forget' about them for a while. I often take a walk along the beach or cliff tops to clear my head and relax so that the ideas can flow easier.

I am currently working on a new effect that the initial idea came from a telephone conversation with a Black Artefacts customer asking how he could utilise a certain prop that I sell. I know what the 'effect' will be. I know 'how' it will be done. I even know the basic 'premise' for the story, but now I have to sit down and work through the 'routine'. I have to make sure that the story is interesting and entertaining and that every action and word fits into a logical series of actions and words.

I have to make the prototypes and then to test them and when they are ready I have to fit the two together as the actions I 'saw' in my head need to work in practice. I must consider how this will all work in the real world of paying guests at a corporate event, a seance, as close-up or just for friends.

Having done all that I need to actualy use it in all the situations that I envisage it being used. Then of course I may need to re-write the script or redesign the props.

Next (in my case) comes the package design, the marketing, photographing the items, updating the website and then write the instructions so that they can be easily understood etc.

Two months Mayo - don't be so impatient, relax and seek out your inspiration, you are lucky that you don't HAVE to work to a deadline.

Keith Hart
Black Artefacts, manufacturer and dealer of weird, bizarre and psychic magic: www.blackhart.co.uk
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Once again this thread shows the uniqueness of us all...

Sometimes when I find I am jammed up and can't get it going, I watch a few old episodes of the X-files. Sooner or later something always triggers....
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Mark Rough
View Profile
Inner circle
Ivy, Virginia
2110 Posts

Profile of Mark Rough
Mayo, going through the same thing myself. It happens and it will pass. I just do something else for a while. There is nothing that will get my creativity going like taking a small break from the thing I'm blocked in and do something else. I go for hikes, read stuff that is not magic related, cook, build stuff. I know it'll come back. Part of it is the time of year. Everything gets very overwhelming and I just want to hide away. Perhaps you're going through something similar. Anyway, I hadn't seen you around much, and I'm glad you're back.

Raven
What would Wavy do?
Gede Nibo
View Profile
Inner circle
2448 Posts

Profile of Gede Nibo
MAYO

ah, good to see you again-but before you ***POOF*** again when yours meds kick in Smile let Baba offer this:

Maybe when your old enough to drink a cold one, you'll get inspiration you hitherto never experienced before...or maybe that first kiss will do it... Smile

hahahahahaaaaaaaa cough cough

we love your sense of creative ebb and flow--the point here is young mage, youre realizing that sometimes we are not as outwardly creative--but no need to fret, for out of the dark, comes the light! we simply sit on our ideas, letting them marinate and then they are born....

and on that note,
my next book will be done in 2017, I predict--the rate my mind has been working...

Baba
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3422 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
"and on that note,
my next book will be done in 2017, I predict--the rate my mind has been working... "

Baba, even if that were the case, considering your last book, I would still sign up and pre-pay for 2! Seriously Mayo (Baba and others); that particular work lit a fire under my *** and got the creative juices flowing strong . . .

Mayo, our friends here have given you some great insight, and I also wish you well. We are fortunate to have a community such as this to turn to when these things come up.

Happy holidays and Merry XMas to you all,
Jerome.
Bill Ligon
View Profile
Inner circle
A sure sign of a misspent youth:
6437 Posts

Profile of Bill Ligon
TT2, I agree. Baba's book is the find of a lifetime. I can't praise it enough. The thinking is original, and the effects can be adapted to almost any style of working -- not just Vodou. I hope I am still around in 2017!

Bill
Author of THE HOLY ART: Bizarre Magick From Naljorpa's Cave. NOW IN HARDCOVER! VIEW: <BR>www.lulu.com/content/1399405 ORDER: http://stores.lulu.com/naljorpa
<BR>A TASSEL ON THE LUNATIC FRINGE
majik
View Profile
Regular user
Albany,Ga.
117 Posts

Profile of majik
I get inspired a lot by reading these threads. I have had several insperations over the past few days.Now as to these ideas bearing fruit? only time will tell. but the seeds have been planted. I like to focus on the things that nag humans at the back of their minds. Those fears,doubts and questions that they all seem to be born with. Personally, I like to rip at their very souls. I think along the lines of gods,demigods,demons and minor deities.
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3422 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Majik,
To megalomania!

P.S. Don't rip at their souls TOO much. They're feeble creatures:)

I AM,
j.
majik
View Profile
Regular user
Albany,Ga.
117 Posts

Profile of majik
I lean [fell into] towards the dark side. Besides they are paying to be scared,and they should get their souls worth.
egregor
View Profile
Veteran user
The other side of the veil.
340 Posts

Profile of egregor
MAYO
Patience, doesn't seem to be a trait of the young. I have been working on an effect for 22 years. ONE SINGLE EFFECT. When it is finally introduced this post will be buzzing like a vibrator in a beehive.
My mom says I'm reprehensible, I think I'm perfectly hensible.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The spooky, the mysterious...the bizarre! » » Not very magical... (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.15 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL