The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Lightbulbs Thru Girl ... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
WolfgangWollet
View Profile
Loyal user
209 Posts

Profile of WolfgangWollet
We have the Owens Model and use the 75T8C which are a little brighter for stage use than the 40 Watt model.
And yes, bulbs.com is a lifesaver as most of Las Vegas stores are not carrying them in stock any more. One a while we get lucky at the bulbman....
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
Never in the life of me
have I ever heard of
bulb and socket lube

the new things you learn
every single day.
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Jack Murray
View Profile
Special user
St. Petersburg Fl.
773 Posts

Profile of Jack Murray
Certain lightbulbs create enough heat so that the metal end of the bulb and the socket "seize" together making it very hard to unscrew the bulb without breaking either the bulb or twisting the glass from the base completely. The lube prevents this.

Jack
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Yes, Jack is correct. I heard this on a talk radio handyman show one morning.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
The Donster
View Profile
Inner circle
4817 Posts

Profile of The Donster
The Lube is also Called DiElectric Grease you can use it on the bulbs for your car as well.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
I have to admit .. I used some lube today. The bulb in my closet went out .. so every time I replace a bulb .. I get the old Socket Lube out.

Oh .. I was at Menards today .. I think I saw Jack near the swimming pool supplies.

Steve
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Yes, this is an old post but .. now I've got a new dilemma. I just read in the paper that GE plans on shutting down it's last American incandescent bulb factory. Of course the 40 watt bulbs I'm using now are made in China but not for long.

Other countries are following the trend for energy-efficient light bulbs, resulting in the the elimination of these types of bulbs.

So, where do we go from here?? Is there a replacement for this type of showcase bulb?? I can't even imagine what's next ..

Steve
EsnRedshirt
View Profile
Special user
Newark, CA
893 Posts

Profile of EsnRedshirt
As mentioned above, you may have to convert to Lucite rods with a more standard bulb type at one end to illuminate the rod. TAP Plastics might be able to help- they do custom orders, and can probably shape tubes or rods to your specifications. Search 'em online for a location near you. (I think they can take online orders as well.)
Self-proclaimed Jack-of-all-trades and google expert*.

* = Take any advice from this person with a grain of salt.
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7353 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
I love the energy efficient bulbs. The first thing you do when one breaks in your home is call Hazmat so the mercury does not escape.

I wonder what that does to the enviroment..

richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
gulamerian
View Profile
Special user
581 Posts

Profile of gulamerian
Westinghouse. I just bought a bunch of bulbs today. I even asked if they were planning on stopping the manufacturing of these bulbs. They said no.
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
So .. I discovered a new problem today with the bulbs. We were rehearsing with the prop and one of the bulbs just wouldn't line up in the frame. Under closer examination I noticed that the bulb was separating from the metal base of the bulb!

The GE brand bulbs are holding up just fine, the other bulb was a generic brand from China. The very same thing happened with the next bulb I replaced it with. It was still lit but, the glue keeping things together failed. Now I'm getting concerned as my only source for these bulbs are problematic. Can these be glued and repaired?

It's just another thing to get messed up ..

Steve
tropicalillusions
View Profile
Special user
Tulsa Okla
631 Posts

Profile of tropicalillusions
For the best Bulb and socket lube, I have found the creamy filling of twinkies to be the absolute best.
makeupguy
View Profile
Inner circle
1393 Posts

Profile of makeupguy
Id'd be dollars to donuts that some 5 min epoxy at the base of ALL of your Chinese bulbs would keep them in place. It's heat resistant.. and somewhat clear. One othe thing that would do the job.. and is INDESTRUCTABLE is epoxy putty in the plumbing section of Home Depot... it comes in a long tube.. and you kneed it to mix it (with gloves on).. you'd have to be a bit more careful as it's black.. but it's heat proof and will certainly out last the bulb.

IN the short term.. and it won't be cheap... I'd look into finding a way to replace all your incandescent bulbs on this prop with something LED. Honestly, I'm surprised that some entrepeneur hasn't come up with some sort of conversion kit.. that would just step down the power and used the existing sockets. Hmmm.. food for thought. Most people don't' know you can have custom lightbulbs made for not so much money... if you buy 1,000 at a time. since the illusion uses several, and other guys use the illusion.. several of you could go in and fill the whole order I'm sure.

I used to have one of the big owen versions. and I know what a tempermental pain the ass they are. I've never had an assistant cut themselves.. but I've hear horror stories. I never liked the mechanics of the screw system, it should have been lower as the asssistants weight on the moving shelf always made the leverage a bit "off".
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
Excellent suggestion .. I'm going to give the Epoxy a try. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you for the suggestions!

Steve
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
My good friend John Bundy told me to try the Epoxy after he read my post. Sure enough, I think it did the trick. As he suggested, apply the epoxy to each bulb when they are still new in the box. I couldn't reset the socket properly on the damaged bulbs. They just wouldn't line up properly.

The epoxy dried clear and we'll see how well they hold up in the show this week.

Steve
rocky clements
View Profile
Regular user
110 Posts

Profile of rocky clements
I have the large Owen cabinet model, and I haven't found it to be as difficult or temperamental as it's reputation. In fact, my wife prefers it over all the other illusions we have because she basically just has to "stand there", as opposed to being a contortionist in all the other boxes. The only thing we have found imperative is that she doesn't bump any of the bulbs getting into the cabinet so that they are not bumped out of alignment. As to the light bulb availability issue, so far we haven't had a problem. Our local lighting store has ordered them for us twice. I don't know if they are the cheap Chinese bulbs or not, but they have been fine for about three years now. I bought a lifetime supply on the last order.
Marshall Thornside
View Profile
Inner circle
chicago
2016 Posts

Profile of Marshall Thornside
I am guessing rocky that the owen cabinet is a much later model.

I know that Blackstone, Jr. hated his and actually destroyed it
and then asked for the 8th and last one to be built for him.
Of all those were specifically built for Henning, Wilson,
Reveen and Blackstone, Jr they are considered the best...

I understand that the owen model was just poorly made and
had nothing of the improvement done that were written about
by Paul Osbourne.

Its not so much the illusion that is the most amazing one
around but the bulbs is what can stop you in your tracks.

too bad there isn't a "bulb r' us" store, huh?
you will remember my name

World's Youngest Illusionista
7th greatest pianist in the world
Go Red For Women and Stroke Ambassador
www.mai-ling.net
Chezaday
View Profile
Inner circle
Naperville, IL
1670 Posts

Profile of Chezaday
There actually is .. it's online, simply bulbs.com. This of course is where I got my latest shipment. The price is right and they are delivered fast. The extra step of adding the epoxy to the bulbs is just an extra step but, well worth the money I saved overall. The bulbs are less than six dollars in quantity .. you can't beat that!

Steve
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Somewhat off-topic, but I have to chime in on that other great old light bulb illusion, "Canary In Light Bulb" which is entirely non-PC today (I did actually perform it up until a few years ago with a version where the bird was never actually in the bulb.) But... In the "good old days" Virgil featured an original version of the bird-in-bulb, which required an oversized blown bulb with no base or filament so the bird would fit inside (this style bulb was also used by others who did the trick.)

Well, during his world tour, in 1955 Virgil was running low on bulbs so he went to Cromptons, a light bulb manufacturer in England and had them make a run of special bulbs for the trick. This was something he could never get G.E. to do in the U.S. Cromptons did it, but they required Virgil to order something like 1,000 bulbs.

Julie told me that when they shipped all of those bulbs back to America they put a few boxes in every one of their crates and trunks. That way, if one trunk were dropped, not all of the bulbs would be broken. A good idea - and shows what pros Virgil and Julie were. By the way, they still had bulbs left over after Virgil gave his last show in 1978!
Bill Hegbli
View Profile
Eternal Order
Fort Wayne, Indiana
22243 Posts

Profile of Bill Hegbli
Abbott's Magic use to sell the Canary in light bulb effect with the blown open ended bulbs. They had them in the showroom until about the mid 1980's even after they stopped selling the complete effect. To bad as I would like to do the effect now.
Vietnam Veteran 1967, Sgt. E-5

Graduate of Chavez College of Prestidigitation and Showmanship

"Magic With A Twist Of Comedy"
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Lightbulbs Thru Girl ... (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.11 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL