The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2006 entrée: R P Wilson » » Flubbing a trick » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
I just want to say thanks for being here.
My Q is this : As we all perform through the years I'm sure at one time or another we have all flubbed or goofed on a trick for one reason or another. I was wondering if you have one of these moments that you remember and if you could tell us about it? If so how did you recover or not?

Thanks
Dan
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
R P Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
235 Posts

Profile of R P Wilson
I've had many, many flubs. Some I could weasel my way out of but some were just dwad in the water. I try to remember that, if you take it well and show a little humility (and humour), the audience is still entertained. The rule is to make sure you always have a killer ending in reserve.

A couple of years ago I was doing the bar at the magic castle. I had my usual set but I also had a few items on reserve, should the mood take me. Luckily for me, Bob Sheets was there every night with some fantastic advice about loosening my grip and letting things seem more random.

In the spirit of that advice I found myself giving an audience member too much rope to hang me with and a very complex two deck effect went bye-bye.

I made a few gags - blamed it ALL on the guy who shuffled (for fun), put away the cards and it played like an elaborate gag. I then used the same guy for the next trick and got back on track without the audience feeling that I had lost control.

The fact is I just learned to run with mistakes and make them fun for the audience. Just remember to end with a strong, reliable trick so that any mistakes are over-ridden by strong magic.

P
Smiffy
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Smiffy
When you've messed up, have you ever just pulled out an invisible deck and used that?

I did it last week... Worked marvellously!
R P Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
235 Posts

Profile of R P Wilson
Actually I advise exactly that in the Restaurant act DVD.

P
Smiffy
View Profile
New user
80 Posts

Profile of Smiffy
Alrighty!! Go me.

Okay... Daft question. Is it worth me buying? In fact, I think I'll go look into it.
R P Wilson
View Profile
V.I.P.
235 Posts

Profile of R P Wilson
Not for me to say. I think I give some valuable advice - the routine illustrates that advice.

I would also look into Live At The Jailhouse - the names on that DVD tell me it's got to be worth your time.

P
Dan Monroe
View Profile
Loyal user
Indiana
209 Posts

Profile of Dan Monroe
I think the Restaurant DVD is great. Some very good routines on there.

Dan
The power is within us all...I'm just a little more full of it.
danmonroe.bravehost.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The December 2006 entrée: R P Wilson » » Flubbing a trick » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.06 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL