The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What are the best size silks (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scottthegreat
View Profile
New user
96 Posts

Profile of scottthegreat
What are the best size silks when doing up close magic (Dye tubes hand vanishes etc.)? Are 10 inch too big?
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
You can use 6"-12" in close up with no problem. You will probally want to use a 10" - 12" max for a dye tube. Minimum for stage is 18".
Bob Sanders
View Profile
Grammar Supervisor
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20495 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Quote:
On 2006-12-16 12:16, scottthegreat wrote:
What are the best size silks when doing up close magic (Dye tubes hand vanishes etc.)? Are 10 inch too big?

Hello Scott,

Welcome to The Magic Café. You just hit the magic number of posts (50) to allow you into the more secret threads. Congratulations!

Please give us a chance to really meet you. Give us some of your interests and location information at:

http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewf......mp;34490

Now to your real question. There are so many sizes of silks for magic because there is so much that can be done with them. Stage pros tend to use 24". The better tricks come with 18" and it is the most common size.

For some reason I've never completely understood, strolling magicians use smaller silks (6", 9" and 12"). As the magicians' silk importer, 6" silks are usually imported for toy companies. The 9" is the largest many magicians can use for a barehand vanish. (Come to my silk lecture sometime and I'll show you how I vanish a 24" with dove harness in a barehanded vanish.) A true 12" diamond cut silk looks like an 18" square silk but will fit anywhere a 9" square will go! It is what I recommend to most magicians for barehand vanishing and small dye tubes. Don't forget that a 4"x36" streamer takes the same load space as a 12" square. They work fine in most of the better dye tubes like Rice's.

As for closeup, my first closeup silk magic was taught me by Tony Slydini with 21" silks. I think you can see the problem answering your question! The honest answer for me is, "I don't know".

Thanks for joining us here at The Café. You'll meet lots of good folks here like Darkwing above.

Enjoy your silk magic.

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » What are the best size silks (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL