The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Verticle death table (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
Has anyone thought about makeing an escape illusion that is sort of like the death table illusion by andre kole? I think it would look good as an illusion performed with maybe a shadow to show that you are in the box and escaping from a strait jacket or some other type of bounds and then a board of spikes falls from the top of the box an shows up on the bottom. just a tought and would this infringe on the original illusion?

also a little off topic does anyone know what the name of the song played during the shadow tent illusion onstage.
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
The illusion you mentioned is very close to what Kristen Johnson, my wife, did on The Travel Channel's inside The Houdini Museum, with Dean Gunnarson, Lance Burton, Bill Shirk, myself and Sean Scott.

She is handcuffed under a bed of spikes, but in a kneeling position, instead of lying down. It was built by Magic Makers and has the option, which we did not get, of having a shadow as well.

See if you can find a copy of the show and check it out. You can also see clips of it on Kristen escape montage video on youtube at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iL6MWWvzCgM

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Nice plug Kevin... I did remember seeing that on the Travel Channel. It was a well-done escape I must add. I am curious as to why you didn't go with the option of the shadow? It would seem that the shadow would not only intensify the escape, it would sell the complete illusion many times over. Just my opinion.

-Bryan
Kevin Ridgeway
View Profile
V.I.P.
Indianapolis, IN & Phoenix, AZ
1830 Posts

Profile of Kevin Ridgeway
Bryan...
A 'fake' shadow is a very hard thing to reproduce and look real. We saw the shadow version and opted to go without it because of that. We are in agreement with you and wanted to use it, but didn't feel it looked real enough.

What we do use are the handcuffs chains that she is secured with from above are visible the entire time and they are seen moving as she struggles to free herself.

The other thing is...Kristen is the hardest working person I know...her water cell escape and training is evidence of that...anyways, her run around is extremely quick and there is very little time after the walls are raised up and secured into position, before the spikes come crashing down, along with the walls to reveal she is gone. This short time helps tremedously.

Hope that answers your question

Kevin
Living Illusions
Ridgeway & Johnson Entertainment Inc

Kevin Ridgeway &
Kristen Johnson aka Lady Houdini
The World's Premier Female Escape Artist

www.LadyHoudini.com

www.livingillusions.com
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Thanks for the added info Kevin and good luck to you and Kristen in coming events...

-Bryan
Silver_Fang
View Profile
Loyal user
San Antonio
282 Posts

Profile of Silver_Fang
Graci, I will check out your wifes video. but since someone already has performed this, is there a royalty that I must pay If I were to build one myself? also in the clip that is the illusion that inspired me to build something like that but without the vanish.
rtgreen
View Profile
Inner circle
Portland, Oregon
1322 Posts

Profile of rtgreen
Something to think about: In the Paul Osborn Illusion Systems books (I'm not sure which volume and I am away from my office right now so I can't look it up) Andre Kole says he has never given anyone permission to perform this effect. The book was written quite a few years ago, so the fact has probably changed since then, but it would still be a good idea to check with Andre before performing.

Thanks,
Richard
Bryan Gilles
View Profile
Inner circle
Northern California
1729 Posts

Profile of Bryan Gilles
Do realize the risk of performing this as well! I know Andre and Rick Thomas have been injured in their TOD.

-Bryan
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The workshop » » Verticle death table (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL