We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Making multiplying candles, "More Handle Friendly"? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Hi,

I own the Lloyd style multiplying candles. My set is made by Owen. I am having some trouble with the hinged set. My problem is in the finish (the paint). It is very smooth and can make some of the handling, multiplications, difficult. Taking this into account and thinking about this from a performance perspective, sweaty hands, there is a worry about dropping them or loosing your grip. I am wondering if anyone has ever had this problem. I assume you would only understand fully if you have worked with these candles before.

It would interest me if someone has ever applied something to the candles that caused them to be "Tacky". Would it be possible to add the same formula that is used on Fakini Billiardballs, the product that gives them that perfect handling feel? Are there any other options? I have done a full share of practice, just want to avoid any possible problems on stage before they come.

Thanks in advance,

DJ
Rob Pond
View Profile
Regular user
Scott, OH
156 Posts

Profile of Rob Pond
I have never used multipling candles. Now that I have put that out there I will tell you that I have had a similar problem with my billard balls. I found that using a tack cloth(go into a hardware, they wil know what it is) works wonders. I apply it to my billard balls 3 days before the show and my normal conditions will work enough off to make them a dream to work with. I just rub the billard balls into the cloth. It is very easy to work with.
Rob Pond
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Mr Pond,

I have never heard of this but it seems to be a great idea. I will purchase the product and let everyone know how it is on the candles.

Any more ideas are welcome,

DJ
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Glue some tiny pieces of sandpaper on the critical location (sand side out).
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
DJ;
Clear liquid latex can be applied the bottoms of the pair to make them grip better. It dries transparent and will not show. Be certain the candles are free of finger print oil before applying the latex. Let it dry over night, if necessary. You want a very thin coating only where it is needed.
Jim
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
I have used the liquid latex on a few props and have left it on one or two and taken it off the others. It can be "too" sticky/clingy/graby. I think Pete has once again offered a great suggestion; small bit of sand paper.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
Ed;
The secret with the liquid latex is to lightly talcum powder it when dry. This cuts down on the "sticky" feel but still gives a good gripping surface.
Jim
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
I am so glad I posted this! These ideas are all great! Who in Las Vegas can apply the clear latex? Is it something I can do myself? If so where can I get it?

Thanks so much,

DJ
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
DJ;
You can obtain small cans from a local artists' supply store. Get some thinner while you are there. Use the thinner on your fingers not the candles. It might well disolve the candle paint. Any extra or a sloppy job on the candles can just be peeled off.
Jim
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Riser,

Would you paint it on with a paint brush? How long will it last till it becomes dirty/discolored? Where can I get the talcum powder, and does this need to be applied more then once?

Pete,

I am sure you have used the Lloyd style multiplying candles, if so what glue do you think would work best with the paper side of sand paper and the paint?

Thanks so much guys,

DJ
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
DJ;
You need to get out more...talcum powder is like baby powder. Try a drug store. How long it will last depends upon too many variables to answer. A few shows to months could be the expected life span. I'd put it on with a water color brush (obtainable at the same art supply store you get the latex from).

I put small brass finger clips on my candles with micro screws; but if you do not know what talcum powder is, finger clips are beyond your present abilities. Perhaps you'd better just try white stair tread safety tape (hardware store). It is the easiest solution to your problem; but not necessarily the best solution.
Jim
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1068 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Thanks Jim,

The finger clips wouldn't work with the Lloyd style candle. The tape is also a great idea, I think for now I am going to try the sand paper over the tape.

DJ
RiserMagic
View Profile
Veteran user
361 Posts

Profile of RiserMagic
DJ;
I have two sets of the candles and the custom installed finger clips DO work. I have put them on the hinged pair and on the nesting set (nesting set clips are similar to the Owen finger clips). This makes for much easier gripping. BTW - newer sets have a series of little bumps at the base of the candles to aid in gripping them.
Jim
kregg
View Profile
Inner circle
1958 Posts

Profile of kregg
Try double stick carpet tape.
POOF!
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Wear rubber gloves?
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
casibb3
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of casibb3
DJ Trix: I do use the Lloyd Candles, find that a tip from Arthur Buckley works. Glycerine and Rose Water mixture (from a cosmetic store) on your hands. Gives enough tack for the candles and also for the billiard ball routines. Don't use too much of the liquid if doing card manips, though.

Frank
Flying Magus
View Profile
Loyal user
286 Posts

Profile of Flying Magus
What about rosin powder? This becones tackier when damp. Just grab a rosin bag before going into the routine. You should get enough on your hands for good grip.
Magically yours,

Michel Fouché
Believe in the Impossible
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Making multiplying candles, "More Handle Friendly"? (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL