We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning the Basics (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Borky
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Borky
I purchased Crash from ellusionist a few days ago, and while I'm learning some things I'm having trouble with basics such as breaks and overhand shuffles. These aren't really covered so I'm wondering how a beginner to the world of sleights and card magic can learn these best. Should I purchase Royal Road to Card Magic or get some DVD (such as the aforementioned but on DVD)?
jcards01
View Profile
Inner circle
Waterloo, IL
1438 Posts

Profile of jcards01
My preference has always been books. Royal Road has always been considered a foundation for cards. You can't go wrong with it. Since R. Paul Wilson has also put out a DVD set on Royal Road, it probably would not be a bad idea to eventually get both and work your way throught it. The DVD set is a little expensive but the ook can be found relatively cheap.
Jimmy 'Cards' Molinari
www.jimmycards.com
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
A few days is not enough time.
Do what Jimmy 'Cards' suggests and continue your practices.
docmagik
View Profile
Regular user
San Bernardino, CA
118 Posts

Profile of docmagik
I love books, and think they're a better value than DVDs, but I had to sneak in a couple of videos to get me through my "learning curve." Plus, it helped familiarize me with popular magicians I otherwise might never have seen.

My advice? Get the book, practice with it for a good while, then pick up the DVDs that go with the stuff you think is good but are struggling with. Plus, you'll see a different view of some of the stuff you thought you had pat.

Hope this helps.
Borky
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Borky
Also, should I get some better playing cards? I have some bicyles, but would a Ghost or Tiger deck make things simplier? I feel like some of these are too bent to do tricks on or get breaks.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3717 Posts

Profile of mrunge
I don't think there's anything wrong with using Bicycle brand cards. Most card guys use them with no problem at all.

What's it going to take then? Practice, practice and more practice. There's just no way around it.

Good luck. Mark.
Jaz
View Profile
Inner circle
NJ, U.S.
6112 Posts

Profile of Jaz
The Air Cushion Finish, Poker 808 brand is good.
Matt Malinas
View Profile
Inner circle
Romania
1342 Posts

Profile of Matt Malinas
I have always used bicycle playing cards.
tiger decks have thicker stock and I don't like them personally. plus the black aspect of them comes off a little suspicious to spectators. I really don't recommend them. I have a deck for my collection but that's it. regarding the ghost deck, they are great but spectators tend to confuse the hearts with the spades because the hearts are also black.
get a few decks of bikes. they are cheap and the quality is good. they are more than suited for your needs.
good luck!

-Matt

p.s. you might want to look into the card college series by roberto giobbi
Your One Stop Booze Abusing Comedy Magic Show!
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I discourage tiger and ghost decks, simply because they only look good to other magicians. For laymen, it's just a tricked deck. And if your deck is seriously bent, get another one! At costco bicycles are about 2 dollars a pack! You can afford them.

No cards are ever bent too much to get breaks. Ever.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3370 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Borky,
the art of cards is one of the most difficult one to master. So please do not expect miracles. It can take months to perfect one sleight of hands. It is all about practice and dedication. The good neews is, that the reward is fantastic.

Browse around in this forum and you will find a bunch of practice suggestions. So, use the search engine and have fun . . .

Andy
Cards never lie
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
380 Posts

Profile of atucci
Borky,
I can only add to the wonderful advice you're receiving on this post.

Having Jimmy 'Cards', Jaz & Mark offer you advice is special so take to heart what they write.

I'm just getting back into magic after being out almost 30 years and have decided to focus on the study of card magic. On a budget, the Royal Road To Card Magic is one of the best bargins around.

December 2006 guest of the month, R Paul Wilson put out earlier this year his interpretation of the book on a five disc DVD set that is well worth the money. I myself am using the Giobbi series, Card College as my primary learning tool and supplementing that with Royal Road; Expert Card Technique, Expert at the Card Table; a few of the Vernon / Ganson books and some of the Harry Lorayne books (Giobbi offers references to other works in his series).

I started in earnest at the end of this past summer and have only progressed a few chapters in volume of the Card College series. For almost a month now I have struggled with breaks; pinky break under the top card, one handed breaks, breaks with the bottom card(s), breaks in the middle of the deck without any tells (no visible sign on the edges of the deck, etc).

Only in the past week have I begin to nail the breaks on a consistent basis. And this is a 'simple' break. Volume one also deals with false cuts, overhand & riffle shuffles, a few simple double lifts, a top change, card controls (including a diagonal insertion & a one-card middle pass!), forcing techniques including the classic force, spread cull techniques (arh!) and more.

And these are only the sleights. Giobbi has including many wonderful presentations to perform as you learn the sleights. At my pace, it'll be months or a year or so before I'm ready for volume two. And that's okay.

Anyway, if it's any help, you can go to Richard Jame's Connoisseur Conjuring site (www.cc-magic.co.uk) where I am documenting my return and now very slow progress back into magic. You have to register to read it but it's free (like the Café). Look under The Beginner's Diary section.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Tony Tuccillo
Sebastian, Florida
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
atucci
View Profile
Veteran user
Middleburg, Florida
380 Posts

Profile of atucci
Borky,
I can only add to the wonderful advice you're receiving on this post.

Having Jimmy 'Cards', Jaz & Mark offer you advice is special so take to heart what they write.

I'm just getting back into magic after being out almost 30 years and have decided to focus on the study of card magic. On a budget, the Royal Road To Card Magic is one of the best bargins around.

December 2006 guest of the month, R Paul Wilson put out earlier this year his interpretation of the book on a five disc DVD set that is well worth the money. I myself am using the Giobbi series, Card College as my primary learning tool and supplementing that with Royal Road; Expert Card Technique, Expert at the Card Table; a few of the Vernon / Ganson books and some of the Harry Lorayne books (Giobbi offers references to other works in his series).

I started in earnest at the end of this past summer and have only progressed a few chapters in volume of the Card College series. For almost a month now I have struggled with breaks; pinky break under the top card, one handed breaks, breaks with the bottom card(s), breaks in the middle of the deck without any tells (no visible sign on the edges of the deck, etc).

Only in the past week have I begin to nail the breaks on a consistent basis. And this is a 'simple' break. Volume one also deals with false cuts, overhand & riffle shuffles, a few simple double lifts, a top change, card controls (including a diagonal insertion & a one-card middle pass!), forcing techniques including the classic force, spread cull techniques (arh!) and more.

And these are only the sleights. Giobbi has including many wonderful presentations to perform as you learn the sleights. At my pace, it'll be months or a year or so before I'm ready for volume two. And that's okay.

Anyway, if it's any help, you can go to Richard Jame's Connoisseur Conjuring site (www.cc-magic.co.uk) where I am documenting my return and now very slow progress back into magic. You have to register to read it but it's free (like the Café). Look under The Beginner's Diary section.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Tony Tuccillo
Sebastian, Florida
Tony Tuccillo

Middleburg, Florida
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1882 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Royal Road and standard Bikes are a great way to go. As a beginner it's really tempting to jump ahead to the flashy stuff. Take your time with the basics, and pay close attention to the hand positions now. It's a lot easier than unlearning bad habits later. After years of card work, I am going back to the beginning of the book. The simple stuff is very effective if presented right.
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Borky,

a lot of us want instant gratification. If you are looking after this, you need to go with selfworking card tricks or other self-working props.

Card magic requires a lot of practice and passion. You need to get the basics right - there are no shortcuts. There is no magical DVD that can bring you up to speed within days. So get a good pack of cards, the royal road and start to work.

Once you have finished the basics - watch your DVD. It will be very, very rewarding.

Andy
Cards never lie
Borky
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of Borky
I'm not looking for self working stuff. I want to do it right. That said, I will pick Royal Road to Card Magic and some more Bicyle decks. On another note, how can I learn more about impromptu magic involving basic items and little to no preparation? This is where I believe I want to take my magic eventually, but I'd still like cards to be involved sometimes.
Suppo
View Profile
Regular user
Indianapolis
101 Posts

Profile of Suppo
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and or The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne.

Great stuff, direct application, a lot of it requiring little or no preparation, and simple in method so you can worry about presentation- the best kind of magic. Great resources the rest of your life.
DomKabala
View Profile
Inner circle
I've grown old after diggin' holes for
2826 Posts

Profile of DomKabala
Quote:
On 2006-12-19 23:18, Suppo wrote:
Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic and or The Magic Book by Harry Lorayne.

Great stuff, direct application, a lot of it requiring little or no preparation, and simple in method so you can worry about presentation- the best kind of magic. Great resources the rest of your life.
There is a lot to be said about Wilson's book. It's an excellent insight into the different facets of Magic. Many here at the Café will all agree that this is a great introductory book for the beginning magician. Harry Lorayne's Magic book is a classic that belongs in the Top 10.
Cardamagically,
<<<KRaZy4KaRdZ>>> Smile
We don't stop playing when we grow old...we grow old when we stop playing.

God is enough, let go, let God. Gal 2:20

"Anything of value is not easily attained and those things which are easily attained are not of lasting value."

Smile Smile Smile Smile
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
3370 Posts

Borky,

I think you made the right choice. Once you mastered the basics, the tricks will start to flow. In fact, each time you learn a sleight, ask yourself - what can I use this for? You will also find some simple routines that work for you very soon. Those can be used to refine your sleight training.

Andy
Cards never lie
Utkarsh Sinha
View Profile
Regular user
Goa, India
137 Posts

Profile of Utkarsh Sinha
Why not get the ebook version of Card College. It has videos for each sleight.
Want jaadu?!

"Reality is a mere illusion, although a very persistent one" - Albert Einstein

http://liquidmetal.in
marknem7
View Profile
Elite user
497 Posts

Profile of marknem7
After getting back into magic myself, following a 15-year hiatus, I also looked for a good source for impromptu tricks. My favorite magic store dealer (Joe, owner of Misdirections in San Francisco) steered me to Mark Wilson's book and Tom Mullica's "Expert Impromptu Magic" series of DVDs. They turned out to be wonderful choices. And a lot of fun.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Learning the Basics (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.17 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL