We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » 3 Card Monte & Shell Game (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Hi all,
Has anyone ever busked with these tricks?
Did they go down well?
I'm going to next month at Sundance, I'll let you know how it goes.
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I think they're illegal in many places...

It's called a "con," you see.
wolfsong
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of wolfsong
I use them quite a bit and they go over great. I just make sure I get to know the local law enforcment and say things like this is a demonstration only. We cannot play for money as that would be illegal. Never had a problem.
Doc
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Thanks guys,
those are some of my fav tricks, and (it goes without saying) I don't hustle, just demonstrate.
I'll have to seek out some friendly neighborhood beat-cop and talk to him.
but what about the philosophy of 'easier to ask forgiveness then permission'?
Dave V
View Profile
Inner circle
Las Vegas, NV
4825 Posts

Profile of Dave V
I do that too, but I don't think jail cells are that forgiving. I'd ask first.
No trees were killed in the making of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
wolfsong
View Profile
Regular user
190 Posts

Profile of wolfsong
The problem is you usually have to ask permission from the judge, and in some states it is classed as theft by trickery and is a fellony. Better to be up front and ask around.
Doc
Mario Morris
View Profile
Inner circle
Mario Morris
2044 Posts

Profile of Mario Morris
Hi I have worked the three shell game as a busker over the years. I have never had trouble with it, that is not to say you wont the bottom line is if a cop cant work out that your not a performer then he should not be a cop in my mind.

The thing to watch out for is if a town has a recent history of con games on the streets.

1- You don't want to cross wires with opperaters and their crew.
2- Locals may miss read you even if the cops don't.

On a postive note, I found it to be a great way to pull a crowd.

Mario
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
Never got a chance to thank everyone for the good advice.
I haven't tried it on the street yet, it's been to cold for me lately.
But when I do, I'll be aware of real street hustlers; although I've never in my life actually seen monte or the shells on the street, in any context.
I'm honestly surprised that anyone actually falls for that con game in this day and age. I assumed they went out of fashion with 'selling the Brooklyn Bridge'.
TheGiz
View Profile
Veteran user
335 Posts

Profile of TheGiz
I've done the shell game for 25 years on the streets. 3 times, the plain clothes cops tried to suck me in with bets. I told them it was just for fun. I'll even give you a prize if YOU win. They flashed their badges and said, "Keep it that way," and walked off. At least the Seattle cops are cool that way.
http://blackbeltmagician.com

"And it's a good thing I only use my power for good!!!"
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
If one were ever doing 3-card Monte in Chicago "just for fun", it might be a good idea to incorporate enough impossible card sleights so that it's very clear that it's a trick; i.e. the three cards suddenly turn into Joker cards, or other cards that were not part of the original three cards.

Of course, when one is doing 3-card Monte just for fun, they have to be careful. It's easy to end up looking like a con artist who's merely pretending to do it just for fun. A con artist pretends to have weaknesses in their routine while they are playing "just for fun." Then the mark assumes that they can beat him -- and when someone suggests placing a bet on the outcome, the mark is lulled into a false sense of security.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Don't have any money out or on the table.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
Chicago PD stopped me for such games. Even though there was no con, I think they wanted a free show.
bwarren3
View Profile
Special user
518 Posts

Profile of bwarren3
I do a combination of the Bob Sheet's game with the red scarabs and Phil Cass's hilarious total psyche game, but I use 4 poker chips with different dollar denominations on them. I explain that I'm going to start them off with the money because I'm going to take it right back, which usually gets a laugh.
They come out of the woodwork every time I perform the shell game, elbow to elbow. Even had the cops stand there and watch with smiles on their faces. I do tell them in about every other sentence that this is a scam or a con game that they cannot possibly win, which seems to draw them in closer.
Bill
Amon
View Profile
Regular user
Chicago, IL
134 Posts

Profile of Amon
Yesterday, I had a drunk idiot interrupt my show yellin' "come on come on, let's get it on"..he had a huge wad of cash in his hand..I started laughing and said it was just for entertainment and educational purposes and he should never play..he refused to leave me and the folks who were watching alone..so after I convinced him to put the money back in his pocket..he played me for fun and lost bad..lol..it was pretty funny, he was seriously angry at me and warning everyone I would rip them off!! Wingnuts..you gotta luv em'.. the point is that the 3 card monte really has never given me any problems..people love it, but it does seem to attract wingnuts..cheers
here and now
Bill Hallahan
View Profile
Inner circle
New Hampshire
3223 Posts

Profile of Bill Hallahan
Read the last paragraph in Harry Murphy's post, where he writes about being jailed for performing the Three Card Monte as entertainment.

That got my attention! I'd ask first.
Humans make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to create boredom. Quite astonishing.
- The character of ‘Death’ in the movie "Hogswatch"
Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
Good idea of Bill Warren's to hand out the cash to play with. As long as no-one decides to stop play while they're ahead! Smile

Perhaps you say "We'll be using foreign notes so I don't get arrested" to create interest and draw them closer, then hand out Monopoly money - should get a laugh and convince the law?

G.
Genghis
View Profile
Regular user
Derby UK
180 Posts

Profile of Genghis
BTW, I recently read The School for Scoundrels treatise on this and was amazed to hear of the leniency shown by the law towards organised teams on the scam.
TheAmbitiousCard
View Profile
Eternal Order
Northern California
13415 Posts

Profile of TheAmbitiousCard
Quote:
On 2007-01-26 02:16, bwarren3 wrote:
I do a combination of the Bob Sheet's game with the red scarabs and Phil Cass's hilarious total psyche game, but I use 4 poker chips with different dollar denominations on them. I explain that I'm going to start them off with the money because I'm going to take it right back, which usually gets a laugh.
They come out of the woodwork every time I perform the shell game, elbow to elbow. Even had the cops stand there and watch with smiles on their faces. I do tell them in about every other sentence that this is a scam or a con game that they cannot possibly win, which seems to draw them in closer.
Bill

The Phil Cass routine is really something to behold.

If you've gotten that far with the shells, good for you!
www.theambitiouscard.com Hand Crafted Magic
Trophy Husband, Father of the Year Candidate,
Chippendale's Dancer applicant, Unofficial World Record Holder.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24280 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
Harry Anderson used to perform the shell game or the three card monte on the drag in Austin. He would actually ask a policeman to stand behind him to make sure he didn't allow any betting.

Afterwards, he would say something to the effect of "Well, you see I could have easily won every dime you have in your pockets. But I don't earn my living that way. I earn it from your generosity. So figure how much you would have bet me, and then put some of that into my hat, please."
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » The side walk shuffle » » 3 Card Monte & Shell Game (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.14 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL