The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Questions on stage utility items (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

vennom
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of vennom
I am new to stage magic and every now and then I come across terms like
hold-out
cummerbund servante
topit

I would like to know what purposes do they serve in some effects and what are their differences?i would also like to ask if a vanish of a dove is used with any of those utilities?
Mark McDermott
View Profile
Regular user
Union Mills, IN
111 Posts

Profile of Mark McDermott
You answered your first guestion and no to the second.
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Well a Hold-out is something that holds an object for you to retrieve, very rare in stage magic, more of a gambling tool traditionally. Although the term holding-out refers to palming after a vanish.
Cummerbund Servante has many relatives too, they are grouped together under the term Vesting. There most practical uses are for steals, both substitution and direct. However in the past magicians did experiment with using them to vanish, but the modern servante isn't capable of that anymore.
Topit is a device that is capable of vanishing any object with any weight to it, without needing to attach anything to the object. Theoretically it could be used for a Dove, but I've never seen it done, and not tried it myself.

If you want to vanish a Dove, the traditional method is the Profonde.
Paul
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Vennom,

Welcome to the Magic Café. You are in one of the best websites of its type. To answer your questions, I must first pose a question. Where did you hear of such devices? Are you interested in dove magic? Manipulation? Illusion? Are you want to delevop a stage act? I would recommend you read all the magic books, lecture notes, magazines on the subject of magic. Buy DVDs on the magic you are interested in. Join a club in your area and ask a lot of questions (like you have here). You will find a lot of help. Since you don't have 50 post yet you cannot go into secret sessions to ask, but if you would like PM anyone with your questions and any of us would be happy to help.
vennom
View Profile
New user
15 Posts

Profile of vennom
Wow thanks paul.i was looking for the profonde exactly!are there any worthwhile marketed profonde?or do I have to customise and make them for myself?

greetings darkwing I'm a close up magician venturing into stage manipulation.i came across such terms while reading through other posts in this forum.the reason I looked for such items is because I encountered problems in many areas while trying to construct my own routine.firstly I am inexperienced in fixing on body loads for productions.i am looking for utilities and sewing plans for one's jacket to load the items to be produced.secondly I hope that these utility items can help me execute my steals in a more natural and fluent motion.

any recommendations as to where can I find any books or videos that can teach me on these areas?
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1845 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
Get the DVD from Tony Clark on Dove Magic or Shimada's Dove Lecture DVD. I think you can find Tony's website link in the Magic Café.
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
You'll have to make anything to do with clothing yourself. Profondes are especially difficult to disguise. You might prefer Tommy Wonders Tails Topit, but that is truely designed for vanishing only. However his idea on disguising the secret pocket which is essentially facing the audience is very good. Tony Clark's DVD is probably the best thing to get, but it is a lot for something you can essentially make up yourself if you put your head to it, unless of course you want to get into Doves.
Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » Questions on stage utility items (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.08 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL