The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Many many many blows (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

J.Dunaway
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of J.Dunaway
I was curious: Jay Sankey's 22 Blows to the Head; what effects have you got the strongest spectator response from?

My strongest response has come from a personalized Resistance is Futile, though I haven't tried them all out.

What kind of responses have you gotten using effects from this material?

Posted: Dec 18, 2006 10:47pm
---------------------------------------------
Maybe I'm the only person who owns it.
polkablues
View Profile
Regular user
Seattle, WA
121 Posts

Profile of polkablues
Quote:
On 2006-12-18 22:47, Kreate wrote:
Maybe I'm the only person who owns it.

You also only waited half an hour for someone to respond. Smile

I haven't owned the video that long, but give me a couple more months with it and I'll let you know.
Sean Gleaves
1982-2068 (see how impressed you'll all be if I'm correct)
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Locked Room Mystery!
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
I don't own Sankey Blow to the head, but I think personally there are no such things as bad Magic Effect and bad audience...only /badperformer.

Cheers
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
I've seen effects that were so bad that no one could save them!
:cheers:
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
sjdavison
View Profile
Inner circle
Surrey, UK
1379 Posts

Profile of sjdavison
True Slim, but surely then it is a bad performer who chooses to perform them!

Simon
Simon, 32, UK

www.sidavisonmagic.com
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
18038 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Never thought of it that way....Now you got me pondering this Smile
I don't like it when people blame the crowd. Some crowds are better than others, but it's up to you to entertain them Smile
J.Dunaway
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of J.Dunaway
In light of recent performances, Hide, Keep, and Give Away got me a jaw-dropper of a response with a "spontaneous" sort of performance using it. I was considering this as a lead-in or seconder to a mentalism routine...

As well, I capped off this performance with Serial Killer and stirred the waters well enough to cause what I believe was visible discomfort; I decided not to stay around and "interview" the people to see how far off I was.
J.Dunaway
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of J.Dunaway
And because I can't edit the post again -- Has anyone used Divided Attention? I'm considering doing a card-"prediction" fix to this (have 30-ish cards on the paper instead) to lead into maybe a Mind Reach or something...
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2006-12-19 06:07, mesmer wrote:
I don't own Sankey Blow to the head, but I think personally there are no such things as bad Magic Effect and bad audience...only /badperformer.

Cheers

John Bannon has some good thoughts on this in his introduction to Smoke and Mirrors. And I agree 100%, there are bad effects, even if good performers can make them almost workable.

If you haven't read Smoke and Mirrors, run out and get it!

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I think there's plenty of bad magic and bad effects out there. Horrible; Slim - you were right in the beginning. Some of these pieces cannot be salvaged by even the most polished performers. Further, we shouldn't try to. It's common knowledge that some magic just plain sucks. Don't be so coy about it; call a spade a spade.
Not everything is meant to be a winner.

A seasoned performer may take something which looks "not so promising" and create something better with it, or cause it to work more effectively for him/her self. That does not constitute being "bad magic", though it does show the talent, art and science of the magician.

People who spout, "It's the magician NOT the effect" are full of it. Let me go ahead and write a show outline for any of these people, and I will fill it with BAD effects and watch in laughter as they swim through S-Creek.

On the other hand, a bad performer can take a wonderful effect and slaughter it. It works both ways.

j.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
qichi
View Profile
Regular user
Los Angeles, CA
123 Posts

Profile of qichi
With serial killer, do you use his switch or another without the paperclip? The clip seemed like an unnecessary "prop," so I chose to drop it.

Also, if you keep bills of each denomination stacked in your pockets, it becomes possible to just ask for any bill, no prerequisite atall.

I'll have to pop the dvd later and check out some of the other effects spotlighted here.
"There is no art: things are made for use." Antonin Artaud
J.Dunaway
View Profile
Loyal user
241 Posts

Profile of J.Dunaway
I do use the paperclip, giving a reason for it, (can't judge whether it's good or not on myself). No occassion has occured yet where someone suspected they were being paperclipped by a "move," but I'm still pretty weak with showmanship, as four of the five years I've been doing this was mostly spent in my room practicing, not experiencing. I'll get there... one day [googly eyes].

I'm interested, qichi, did you find any other effects you'd like to use yet?
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2006-12-19 20:21, Kreate wrote:
And because I can't edit the post again -- Has anyone used Divided Attention? I'm considering doing a card-"prediction" fix to this (have 30-ish cards on the paper instead) to lead into maybe a Mind Reach or something...

I used divided attention quite a lot right after I got the video. I made a word file with the words in the right order, printed it out, cut them (cutting diagonally through the choice word and making the cut match is a very strong subtlety), and carried them around in my wallet.

These days, I tend to favor clip line deluxe from the Mind Mysteries series. It involves a bit more in terms of the props department but kicks bootie because of the choices the spectators can make. Shuffle cut deal is a good impromptu effect (just get a glimpse of what you need to see while removing the cards).

I can't think of anything else I perform straight out of that DVD but it had a lot of nice ideas.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Many many many blows (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL