The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Aga levitation (2 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
Whats up everyone -

I was looking into building a Aga Levitation using the osborne plans,
Does anyone here own a AGA?

And If you Know of a Better Levitation Feel free to let me know !

Peace
David
Peace
David Boyd

www.myspace.com/harlemmagic
Christopher Starr
View Profile
Inner circle
Heart of America
1851 Posts

Profile of Christopher Starr
Stan Kramien (and many other old timers) consider it to be the best levitation method ever made and presented.
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
Thanks for that info..

What illusions do you own?

David
Peace
David Boyd

HowardT
View Profile
New user
75 Posts

Profile of HowardT
Hey David, Stan used the "Astro" levitation. It allows you to float a girl 12' in the air. A staple in my show for many years as well. I would be glad to send you the specs if you'd like. Extremely inexpensive, easy to build yourself, set up and a very visual levitation. PM me if you like. Say hello to Elliot.
David Boyd
View Profile
Regular user
NYC
197 Posts

Profile of David Boyd
That whould be good if you can send me the specs!

I'll tell Elliot you said Hello..

Thanks Chris and Howard!

David
Peace
David Boyd

Thatoldblackmagic
View Profile
New user
67 Posts

Profile of Thatoldblackmagic
The AGA plans I presume are in metal?
The Astro sounds awesome!
Scotland's first winner of the Edinburgh International Magic Festival's first place award. ~ Allen Tipton's magic Student. ~ Magic Historian and Collector ~ Built magic for Scotland's top Pantomimes ,Cats ,The Wizard of Oz and a few other shows. ~ As seen on TV theatre and film Smile Aged 17
JamesinLA
View Profile
Inner circle
Los Angeles
3400 Posts

Profile of JamesinLA
I believe a good portion of the aga is wooden, some is steel of course.

Jim
Oh, my friend we're older but no wiser, for in our hearts the dreams are still the same...
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
The Astro is an Abbott prop. So check with Abbott's first if you're looking for the plans. I traveled with Stan for a season and saw the levi rig most every day. It worked well and didn't give us any problems.

The question of which is the best levitation of all times has much to do with the performer and their presentation, of course, not just the method/apparatus. Taking the effect and presentation into account I think that the Kalanag levitation was certainly one of the best, if not the best.
Here's a link to it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCS5u5ti-HU

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
The Astro I saw a couple months ago (Abbott's, I believe) was metal. It was like an AGA on steroids. Great machine, but heavy as a wagonful of anvils.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
john wills
View Profile
Special user
940 Posts

Profile of john wills
You can find manny answers in the Encyclopedia of Suspensions & Levitations.
Nowadays there are a few better levitations on the market, as there is the double
levitation as performed by Gabriel and Klok (levitating with Pamela Anderson in Las Vegas).
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Best finish EVER for an Asrah happened years ago. BY ACCIDENT.
I was assisting Arthur Bull with the Asrah in Oakland, Calif., the girl (form) was up, I was backstage doing the 'necessary' and as Arthur was about to reach up, grab the cloth to reveal she had vanished, someone opened a large backstage door and a huge gust of wind came in and blew the cloth up off the form and the cloth floated out into the audience!
I don't think there ever has been such a magical ending.
Of course we told the magicians it was a secret method and we will not tip. Smile
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Dennis Loomis
View Profile
1943 - 2013
2113 Posts

Profile of Dennis Loomis
I don't think that the Encyclopedia of Suspensions and Levitations is still in print. It may help, it you're looking for a used copy to know that it was written by Bruce Armstrong.

Pete... what a great story! Thanks for sharing it. I suppose that now someone will start working on how to make this happen in every show.

Dennis "Denny" Loomis
Itinerant Montebank
<BR>http://www.loomismagic.com
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Having traveled with Kramien's show for years and worked "behind the scenes" during Aga - a couple of points:

Yes, it was an Abbott's Astro Levitation. Very practical, portable (not really a "wagonful of anvils" but not flimsy, either.) It is on casters so relatively easy to move. Easier to leave mostly-assembled than break down every night. Travels best in a van or truck. (Not a "back seat of the car" prop.)

The gaffus is in two sections - the first thing Stan did was to throw away the top section. "Who wants to wait around while she rises 12 feet in the air - and then wait while she comes back down?!" VERY good point. With the top half removed, the rise was about 5 feet from the floor, which made the point and looked great.

The Astro is manual (non-electric) so speed can be completely controlled. You will need a minimum of 2 assistants (preferably 3 - including the floating lady) to make this flow on stage.

Of course, Stan's original finish when the floating lady visibly changed into an 8 foot tall rosebush at the end (with no props on stage), really made the routine great.

Good luck!
magic123
View Profile
Loyal user
273 Posts

Profile of magic123
Hello All my friend Michael Lee was a student of Bruce Armstrong, when he lived in Canada , and is
the owner of the original manuscript of the Enc of Levitations & Suspensions. The Book is Now OOP (Out of Print )
really has some Great info if you plan on floating anyone. Mike can be contactwed at :
info@michaelleemagic.com

magic123
Michael Baker
View Profile
Eternal Order
Near a river in the Midwest
11161 Posts

Profile of Michael Baker
Ha-ha!! Yeah, I was kind of exaggerating with the anvils anaolgy. The one I saw was being used by James Kessler. I forget who he said he'd bought it from. It also had the top section removed. The height from the one section was plenty. He transported it in a truck, mostly assembled (everything behind the curtain in one piece). He and his assistant moved it in and out of the theater and it was definitely not flimsy, but solid steel. In our theater that night, casters were only good for part of that journey. It had to be lifted 4' up onto the stage, and it took those two strong men to do it.

I would love to own this prop. It is old school, compared to some of the more recent developments, but solid and reliable.

The manual mechanics allowed for (in my opinion) a much smoother action. BTW - James' main assistant and man on the machine that night had worked many years with Ken and Roberta Griffin, who's machine was a entirely different thing altogether.
~michael baker
The Magic Company
Mike Maturen
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan's Beautiful Sunrise Side
2726 Posts

Profile of Mike Maturen
The Astro is available from Abbott's for $7500.
Mike Maturen
World of Wonder Entertainment
The Magic and Mayhem of Mike Maturen
989-335-1661
mikematuren@gmail.com

AUTHOR OF "A NEW DAWN--Weekly Wisdom From Everyday Life"

member: International Magician's Society
David Charvet
View Profile
Special user
www.charvetmagic.com
501 Posts

Profile of David Charvet
Michael - Yes, I lifted that prop many, many times, across the country and even on cruise ships. I agree that is is smoother operating than just about anything else out there. Ken and Roberta Griffin used a Waerneke (sp?) model which allowed for an extremely small hoop to be used for the pass (you'll know what I mean.)

Like Virgil and Thurston before him, Kramien always brought up a little girl (about 5 years old) to "touch the sleeping princess' ring and make a wish." And also to walk under and around the floating lady. "Look up, look down, look all around." The expression on the kid's face was always priceless and really sold the fact that the woman WAS floating in mid-air. Did the child see any of the "work"? Of course. But they had no idea what they were seeing. Like all magic, it takes a SHOWMAN to "sell" it to an audience. And Kramien is certainly a showman.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Grand illusion » » Aga levitation (2 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2021 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL