The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Horwitz Add-A-Number Pad (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
I have just purchased this and I believe that Martin Breese has another classic on his hands. I have used the Nemo Switch Wallet from Ken Brooke for this effect for many years but will now use the Horwitz version. Of course Basil Horwitz died in 2000 but this pad has his name on it because it uses the same principle as the Horwitz wallet. Tony Curtis came up with the idea of using the principle for the Add-a-Number pad and also manufactures them in his usual high quality leather. The pad works like a dream - you do not have to touch the pad after giving it to the first person. The necessary work is done by the last person but they do not realise it. The pad comes with 4 excellent routines and I am sure that this is the pad that professionals will use in the future. Details are on Martin Breese's website http://www.abracadabra.co.uk.
Martin
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1454 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
How does it compare to Camirand Academy of Magic Kozar Note Pad Prediction?

The Kozar pad has a locking system too.

I do not reveal anything here since it is clearly stated in the add for the Horwitz pad.Interesting suggested routines by the way .

Here is the add by Martin Breese :

"THE BASIL HORWITZ ADD-A-NUMBER PAD NOW AVAILABLE "

"A huge thank you for the pad, now gratefully received. Well, I do love it. It's beautifully made as I would expect from you and Tony Curtis. In fact, it's a really elegant prop, without, of course, looking like it's a prop. I've never really got on with the old pencil-on-a-string method, (found them not as reliable as I'd hoped and the necessary move a little big, but maybe that's just me), but this pad eliminates the sellotape and string and snagging, which I think is a good thing. The reset looks a doddle too." Daniel Lander UK

This new add-a-number pad is based on the principle of the Basil Horwitz Wallet and locks firmly using rare earth magnets. The instructions supplied include details of four stunning routines that you can perform with the Howitz Add-a-Number pad including a brilliant effect where a members of the audience are asked to write numbers on the pad and when written a fourth spectator is given the wallet and asked to add up all the numbers. The total arrived at which happens to be 051206 is written up on a large white pad and shown to the audience who are asked to call out today's date and it just so happens to be the 5th of December 2006 and that is just what the sum total indicates 051206 (of course you modify the total for each performance so that it reflects the date of the actual performance.

Another great routine starts when you hand a member of the audience a sealed paper bag with a big question mark on it. Once again the pad is passed around and the final spectator adds up the sum and calls out the total which the magician writes on a large sheet of white paper. The performer asks for someone in the audience with a mobile phone to phone the actual number now written on the large sheet of paper. He or she phones the number and a mobile phone can be heard ringing in the audience. It is the mobile phone which was in the sealed paper bag and when answered the two spectator find that they are speaking to each other.

Full performing details of these effects plus others are provided in the comprehensive instructions supplied. The Horwitz Add-a-Number Pad can be used without the physical intervention of the performer. The pads is passed from one spectator to the next and each is asked to write numbers in sum form and until the wallet is actually closed nothing happens. Once the wallet is closed the real numbers and the sum are exchanged for the fake sum which will add up to the number to be forced by the magician. The last but one spectator is asked to CLOSE the pad and then to throw it on to someone else in the audience. The very act of closing the wallet causes the magnets to lock and the next time the wallet is opened the sum facing the spectator is the forced sum and the real sum is tightly locked away. Credit for the creation of this brilliant pad should go to Tony Curtis in Thailand who makes the Horwitz Wallet for me and it is Tony who came up with the idea of using the same principel for the Horwitz Add-A-Number Pad. Thank you Tony."
martinkey
View Profile
Regular user
Tadmarton, Oxon, UK
129 Posts

Profile of martinkey
Not having handled the Kozar pad (I've only seen pictures) I cannot compare directly but I guess the principle is pretty similar. The Horwitz pad though looks like a quality item - top class leather throughout, gilt corners and no need for special paper or pads. As a mentalist you need to use something that looks like you earn good money and the Horwitz Pad certainly does the job in that direction.
Martin
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
The basic priciple is the same, but there are differences in the useage of each. The Horwitz pad is a unique application of the principle.

- entity
Gianni
View Profile
Special user
WILMINGTON, DE
993 Posts

Profile of Gianni
I don't know that I buy the notion that you can use this prop (which I do not own) or the Kozar pad (which I do own) by handing it out to the first spectator and never handling it again. The spectator who closes the pad will surely become suspicious - no?

Gianni
Tom Jorgenson
View Profile
Inner circle
LOOSE ANGLES, CALIFORNIA
4452 Posts

Profile of Tom Jorgenson
It's not listed on the site yet. How much is it?
We dance an invisible dance to music they cannot hear.
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
291 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
Quote:
On 2006-12-19 19:44, Gianni wrote:
I don't know that I buy the notion that you can use this prop (which I do not own) or the Kozar pad (which I do own) by handing it out to the first spectator and never handling it again. The spectator who closes the pad will surely become suspicious - no?

Gianni

I see no reason for that spectator to become suspicious.

Quote:
It's not listed on the site yet. How much is it?

It's listed on the front page of the site; that's where RIVARDJLR quoted the ad-copy from. It's £45.
Jean-Luc.R.
View Profile
Inner circle
QUEBEC - CANADA
1454 Posts

Profile of Jean-Luc.R.
There is always suspicion if you want to see some.It is either on the mentalist itself or maybe a stooge.It is all about audience management and looking like the prop has no importance.There is suspicion if you act like there should be.My opinion.I may be wrong.

Quote:
On 2006-12-19 19:44, Gianni wrote:

Gianni
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
291 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
I agree. It's only Magician's Guilt that may make a spectator suspicious.

But additionally, there is no "tell," either audibly or physically when closing the pad as the spectator is directed to do.
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12588 Posts

Profile of John C
Is there a chance that a spectator will inadvertantly close the wallet before hand? Is that possible?

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
291 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
Quote:
On 2006-12-20 09:24, johncesta wrote:

Is there a chance that a spectator will inadvertantly close the wallet before hand? Is that possible?

John

Well it's possible, but possible in the same way that they could open their hand too early to reveal a dozen sponge bunnies, or move some coins you've placed in their hand and find a shell; or any of the countless other things that are "possible" when you bring spectators and props and bits of business together.

Again it comes down to spectator-management. Have your first spectators sitting next to each other, hand the first one the open pad and pen and direct them to write a number, (or whatever), and pass to their neighbour. When that's done, get the final spectator to close the pad, because they'll be passing the pad on to the final spectator - not in the immediate vicinity - to total or select from.
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
847 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
I am delighted to be manufacturing the Basil Horwitz Add-A-Number Pad exclusively for Martin Breese.

http://www.martinbreese.com

Tony Curtis
Over 100 previous Magic Wagon effects along with descriptions,
images & videos can now be viewed on my website.
www.tonycurtismagic.com/archive.html
Steve Dela
View Profile
Special user
U.K. London
961 Posts

Profile of Steve Dela
Tony,

Is this not the exact same idea that el duco has been manufacturing for year?

Steve Dela
http://stevedela.com
Associate Member of the Inner Magic Circle
FFFF
John C
View Profile
Eternal Order
I THINK therefore I wrote
12588 Posts

Profile of John C
Quote:
On 2006-12-20 10:53, Daniel Lander wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-20 09:24, johncesta wrote:

John

Well it's possible, but possible in the same way that they could open their hand too early to reveal a dozen sponge bunnies, or move some coins you've placed in their hand and find a shell; or any of the countless other things that are "possible" when you bring spectators and props and bits of business together.

Again it comes down to spectator-management. Have your first spectators sitting next to each other, hand the first one the open pad and pen and direct them to write a number, (or whatever), and pass to their neighbour. When that's done, get the final spectator to close the pad, because they'll be passing the pad on to the final spectator - not in the immediate vicinity - to total or select from.

I understand. But, in the case of sponge balls you can say, specifically, "Close your hand don't open it." In the other case (pad) you can't really say this. It seems easy that in the course of handing the pad to someone else they could easily close it (by accident) then the jig is up?

I like the pad idea, don't get me wrong. My audience would be middle and high school folks.

John
The ULTIMATE Routine Series: rebirth soon!
entity
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
5060 Posts

Profile of entity
With both pads, there are a few ruses that can be used to prevent the premature closing or changing of the wallet/pad.

- entity
Tony Curtis
View Profile
Special user
United Kingdom
847 Posts

Profile of Tony Curtis
Quote:
On 2006-12-21 08:37, Steve Dela wrote:
Tony,

Is this not the exact same idea that el duco has been manufacturing for year?

Steve Dela

Steve,

The Add-A-Number pad I am manufacturing for Marin Breese uses the Basil Horwitz wallet principle and design.

Tony Curtis
Over 100 previous Magic Wagon effects along with descriptions,
images & videos can now be viewed on my website.
www.tonycurtismagic.com/archive.html
doiron
View Profile
Regular user
180 Posts

Profile of doiron
I have the Kozar pad and use it a lot. It's a great item. I would never have a spectator close the pad, however. As Gianni alluded to, the spec would surely become suspicious regardless of your audience management skills.

In my opinion it very obviously locks when it's closed. More than that, I think a volunteer would even know why it locked. If you have one, try it and you'll "feel" what I mean.

I'm interested in finding out if that is not a problem with the Horwitz pad. If not, I'd consider replacing my Kozar with it.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1739 Posts

Profile of jakeg
This is a very timely topic for me. I decided to resurect my show, and in doing so, I want to update some of my props .... not my routines, just the props that I use to get there. When I started out lo those many years ago, I was using the Dunninger locking slate, and it didn't seen out of place at the time. Most of the audience probably had kids with slates at home, so no big deal. Now the slate would look mighty queer.
In my mind, the ideal way to perform this routine would be to have 3 spectators stand at their seat and call numbers aloud which would be written in full view, totaled, and match the prediction. Since that's not available without pre-setting it prior to the show,or switching predictions, the second best would be to use a clip board with a legal pad on it and pass it from one spectator to another. In that case you can either switch the pad or the prediction. Finally, there is the small pad of one sort or another.
You guys have presented me with a puzzle. You have written about several different pads, all of which will do the same task, and all of which the users seem to like allot. So, which one do I go for? Which one looks the most natural for the situation, and which one is the most fool proof? Or, will somebody in the next 30 days or so, come up with flippin' clip board or something. Anyway, thanks for the good read guys.
Christopher Taylor
View Profile
V.I.P.
British Columbia Canada
2324 Posts

Profile of Christopher Taylor
"In my opinion it very obviously locks when it's closed. More than that, I think a volunteer would even know why it locked. If you have one, try it and you'll "feel" what I mean."

Mr. Curtis: would you mind addressing the above concern that the above comment might pertain to your pad: will a participant feel the lock take hold?
Christopher Taylor

Member P.E.A.

www.taylorimagineering.com

MAKING MENTALISM MORE IMPOSSIBLE
Daniel Lander
View Profile
Loyal user
Gloucestershire, England
291 Posts

Profile of Daniel Lander
When a spectator is directed to close the pad, they'll casually flip the front of the pad down and, as part of an ongoing performance, notice nothing.

It's just a pad.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Horwitz Add-A-Number Pad (1 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL