The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What do you think of PB&J Sponge Balls? (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

Profile of Andrew E. Miller
See the title!
If you get bored go to www.a-miller.idz.net and watch some magic.

-Andrew
John Pezzullo
View Profile
Veteran user
Sydney AUSTRALIA
354 Posts

Profile of John Pezzullo
Andrew,

I'm not familiar with Scott Guinn's marketed sponge ball routine however I understand that it's a routine that Scott has developed and used in his professional work for lay audiences over the years.

Are there specific aspects of Scott's routine that you dislike?

I own three of Scott's books: "Profiles in Coinage", "Magishing My Way", and "You’ll Be Pleasantly Surprised". The material in these books is practical and commercial.
"One arrow. One life."
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

I am sure it works for Scott. It is probably good to some.

Andrew

-Andrew
stevehw
View Profile
Veteran user
Collinsville, Mississippi
303 Posts

Profile of stevehw
I don't have it yet, but I have seen a great deal of praise for it in other threads at this site.
I do plan to get it soon.

Steve
Paul Menzel
View Profile
Special user
Boise, Idaho
530 Posts

Profile of Paul Menzel
Andrew,

Are you asking because you are considering buying the effect? If so, go for it. If you decide the written patter doesn't work for you, go with something else (as usual). The jokes are very much Scott's style and won't work for everyone. The routine, however, should, and that's what makes it worthwhile.

One of the best features is that it ends "clean" very openly and resets automatically.

Scott includes everything you will need to perform the effect (except practice) along with clear instructions.
Andrew E. Miller
View Profile
Inner circle
Southern California
1428 Posts

I am not planning on buying it. Just wondering what everybody thought.

-Andrew
Harry Murphy
View Profile
Inner circle
Maryland
5445 Posts

Profile of Harry Murphy
I have it, use it only very (very!) slightly modified, and find it to be a solid and entertaining routine. My audiences like it. In fact I can credit a couple of party bookings this holiday season directly to it.

Scott has published it in one of his books and markets it with all the necessary props, as an independent trick.

I think that it a working performers routine. I know that it works for me.

Since you do not plan to buy it or use it, what then peaks your curiosity about the routine? Personally, I am rarely interested in hearing any opinion about a routine or trick that I know that I will never use.
The artist formally known as Mumblepeas!
ralphdean
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Ca
300 Posts

Profile of ralphdean
I just started learning it this weekend. It is very well thought out.

It is also in Scott Guinn's book "Great Scott! It's More Magic!" along with some other fun stuff. If you get the book you will still have to track down some items.

I was not familiar with the gimmick that it uses at the end. Makes me wonder what other gimmicks that are out there that I am missing.
Ron Giesecke
View Profile
Special user
Redding, Ca.
947 Posts

Profile of Ron Giesecke
Scott Guinn is the only one to date I've seen that has made a practical argument for employing the Sanada Gimmick.

While I have my own routine, I happen to think that Scott's is the best purchasable routine as a self-contained unit. His patter is humorous and light. Why use anything heavier?

I am curious, RegalFan. Have you actually seen the routine, or are you surmising? Because the only way I knew anything about it was to buy it, and I don't believe you have done so. "See the title" is hardly the exemplary review you request of others.

Ron
KingStardog
View Profile
Inner circle
2134 Posts

Profile of KingStardog
I pretty much gave up on sponge, as it has some sort of attraction to my dogs. Don't ask me why. I still remember one of them choking on a sponge rabbit and the unpleasant scene it created. (he is OK)

If I was to keep spongballs, or rabbits around, and because of them, I can't,
I would purchase Scott's set without thinking twice about it.
...think not that all wisdom is in your school. You may have studied other paths,but, it is important to remember that no matter who you are or where you come from, there is always more to learn.
flourish dude
View Profile
Inner circle
from ? But I know where I am going!
1195 Posts

Profile of flourish dude
IMHO,
it is the best sponge ball routine out for a working magi.. JUST GET IT you'll be glad you did. if you are still ?? it then buy his book or his notes that has The PB&J routine if by far chance you don't like it there are other wonderful routines that might fit you..
Nothing of the same will bring any change, take action today!
Just taking a step, is a step in the right direction because when you stop working, your dream dies.
www.magicalmemories.us
zauber
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of zauber
I recently purchased this from Scott and it is quite good.

RegalFan, I agree with Ron Giesecke's assessment. I also agree that your comments or review have little value in the manner you present them. I don't understand, you don't plan on purchasing the item, yet you want a review from others? WHY? BAD FORM....
"I'm still learning."
-----Michelangelo
Bfrancabandera
View Profile
New user
50 Posts

Profile of Bfrancabandera
I have heard so much about this effect. Is there anywhere online that I can see a video of it? Thanks
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
Quote:
On 2003-01-07 11:20, Bfrancabandera wrote:
I have heard so much about this effect. Is there anywhere online that I can see a video of it? Thanks
No. The reason for that is several-fold. One is that I don't have the time or web-space to do it. Second is that it is a sponge ball routine. As far as the actual effect, there is nothing new here (except, possibly, for the vanish at the end and a couple of subtleties that are so old, they're new!). Third, what sets the routine apart is the patter and construction, things that I either wouldn't have enough time to go into in a web video or that I don't care to give up for free. Fourth, it is possible that someone could simply watch the video 100 times and reconstruct everything, and then they would have no incentive to buy it!

The routine will be on my DVD, which will be released sometime this year--hopefully in the next month or so. In the meantime, there is no free video demonstration, nor are there any plans to have one.

I will tell you this--the routine is the single trick I perform more than any other and has been for over 10 years of working 250-400 shows per year. I've used it in close up, kids shows, parlor shows and even stage, in addition to performing it 10-20 times per night 3-5 nights a week for 10 years in restaurants. Add all that up and we're talking about literally tens of thousands of performances, and it has NEVER failed to play well for me.

In addition, it includes 8 pages of instruction with 28 photos, 3 super soft sponge balls, a purse frame and a gimmick that typically sells for $10-$15 all by itself. You get all that for $15, postpaid to Café members in the USA.

I'm a little biased, but to answer RegalFan's original question, I think it's a solid routine.
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
preston91
View Profile
Regular user
clearwater,fl
186 Posts

Profile of preston91
Ron;
FYI Dan Garrett offers 3 routines using the Sanada gimmick in his "The Last Palidrome 2002" lecture notes. Check it out, I think you'll like'em..
Paul
Clayman
View Profile
Loyal user
New Jersey
243 Posts

Profile of Clayman
Scott,
Sir, how would one get on a list to be it known when your dvd comes out? If I email you from your web page would I be notified when the dvd is released? Thanx for keeping the Magical flame roaring with your ideas and unique routines. You are one of the Magical people, that helps other Magicians get to their next level. Thank you again.
"A flash of silvery light ..and it was gone."
Scott F. Guinn
View Profile
Inner circle
"Great Scott!" aka "Palms of Putty" & "Poof Daddy G"
6586 Posts

Profile of Scott F. Guinn
I don't really have a list, as I am pretty ignorant about most things technical when it comes to computers.

I will make an announcement here at the Café (in the DVD/video trading forum) and it will be on my website as soon as it's available. I really think that anyone who has doubts about the routine will have them dispelled when they see it performed for a live, lay-audience who had never seen it before.

Just for the curious, here is what will be on the DVD will contain:

5 of my favorite (and most often performed and requested) card effects, PB&J, Magic Western Union (the late Larry Jennings told me this was the best routine for Fechter's Flying Eagles he'd ever seen!), A card routine for parlor/stage, a kids show presentation piece with a kid assistant and a rope and my ring & rope routine.

All were performed before a real, live (if somewhat small) lay-audience who had never seen me perform before. None (except my wife) were magicians, assistants or spouses of magicians, so you can be sure you're seeing actual reactions from real people!
"Love God, laugh more, spend more time with the ones you love, play with children, do good to those in need, and eat more ice cream. There is more to life than magic tricks." - Scott F. Guinn
My Lybrary Page
James Washer
View Profile
New user
Alabama
95 Posts

Profile of James Washer
In one word - AWESOME!
q
View Profile
Regular user
118 Posts

Profile of q
Scott F. Guinn sold me his book and gimmicks for PB&J a discount price then his site normaly sells it. I do not use his patter or all his exact moves from the routine however i can honestly say his routine has helped spring board me onto the routine I use now.
MacGyver
View Profile
Inner circle
St. Louis, MO
1419 Posts

Profile of MacGyver
PB&J is the best sponge ball routine I have ever seen(though I haven't seen many Smile )

Honestly, it was the first sponge routine I ever bought, and even after learning many others it is still the one I do most often.

It has a story, It comes full circle, and it resets instantly. All the things start in one pocket and end in one pocket, amazing!!!!!!

DEFINATLY buy this, it is an amazing piece of magic at an incredibly low price.

Only 1 bad thing:
You get 3 sponge balls, but one of them is included with the sanada gimick and the other 2 are seprate from another source. The one from sanada gimick is a noticably different shade(at least for me) from the other 2, and can make a HUGE difference if you pull it out first or second.(third doesn't matter)

I have had many spectators comment on transpositions saying "no it didn't change I had the dark one"(talking about the sanada sponge).

Not a big deal because you can buy more sponge's that will all be the same color, though it is something to think about if you don't have sponge balls already...

I bought 2in ones to replace the ones for the routine, and they are way too big, so I have had to order 1in and 1.5in to try and get matching balls.

ANYWAY.... I still think this is one of the best magic tricks I have bought, especially because it is a low price and got me started in sponge balls!!!
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » What do you think of PB&J Sponge Balls? (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL