The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tattoos and Mentalism... (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
I am wondering what your thoughts about performing mentalism as a tattooed person are?

I personally do not have an tattoos but I have recently seen several performers with tattoos on display during their acts.

Luke Jermay being probably the most tattooed with his arms and hands, Reed Mcklintock (sp?) has seemingly performed magic with many tattoos for a long time.

Do you feel it would limit your audiences or possibly give the wrong impression?

I thought it was only sailors who got em'

Chris.
Corona Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
Airstrip One
1689 Posts

Profile of Corona Smith
The tattoos should only be used as part of an effect, perhaps a word revelation, playing card etc, the name of some one elses wife perhaps?

Otherwise I see no place for them in the world of mentalism, they must be eradicated, with lasers...

Ugh!

Corona.

Merry Dr. Xmass.

p.s All mentalists should have their nipples pierced though...
Richie Dagger
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson, AZ
268 Posts

Profile of Richie Dagger
I only have tatoos where they can be covered up if need be. However, I do not have nipple rings...I better call my piercer...
Slim King
View Profile
Eternal Order
Orlando
17500 Posts

Profile of Slim King
Here's my list of needed Tats:
A Tat of a Clock, Number 37 or 68, Sun Moon and Star, A VooDoo Doll, Ace of Spades or Queen of Hearts,(Six of Clubs for you Hilford fans)..... A Yes/No Pendulum Chart and the Eifel Tower(For good luck) Smile
THE MAN THE SKEPTICS REFUSE TO TEST FOR ONE MILLION DOLLARS.. The Worlds Foremost Authority on Houdini's Life after Death.....
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2006-12-20 22:52, Slim King wrote:
Here's my list of needed Tats:
A Tat of a Clock, Number 37 or 68, Sun Moon and Star, A VooDoo Doll, Ace of Spades or Queen of Hearts,(Six of Clubs for you Hilford fans)..... A Yes/No Pendulum Chart and the Eifel Tower(For good luck) Smile

May the 'Force' be with you.

Rich
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
I am heavily tattooed and I have never found it to be a problem when performing mentalism. Sometimes I think it makes people take me a bit more seriously, they seem less willing to toy with a heavily inked performer, it can make some people a bit nervous; but this can be good to keep them on their feet when using psychological forces, etc.

I heard of a hypnotist lately that is covered from head to toe in art. When I began tattooing my neck and chin, I thought my hypnosis career would be finished.

I don't think my tattoos give the wrong impression; I do believe that many people have wrong impressions about tattooed folk in general. If anything, being a likeable performer helps to quiet these pre-conceived notions about what an inked performer or person is like.

I like being tattooed. This pact was made with blood and ink, and I take it very seriously. I love magic as well, and they both live happily together within me. I do my best to convey this in my performances.

Kind regards,
Jerome.
"Join my update list here!" http://eepurl.com/uE3Jf
joshlondon17
View Profile
Special user
San Diego, CA
685 Posts

Profile of joshlondon17
I agree with Jerome. I am tattooed, I have full sleeves and it has never dampered my mentalism performances. I think that people "buy" into it a lot more. If I wasn't tattooed I think that they would see what I do as "mental magic" instead of mentalism or mind reading. But, my fire Captain hates them!
Roth
View Profile
Inner circle
The 18
5091 Posts

Profile of Roth
Luke Jermay is a tattoo artist.
2015 ECSS Alumnus

PANDORA

Deadwood
DerZauberer
View Profile
Elite user
Southern California
468 Posts

Profile of DerZauberer
I have 8 tattoos, (presently designing no. 9). Since most are on my upper arms, shoulders and back, they are not visible when I am dressed for performance. I do however have 1 tattoo on the inside of each forearm. When I roll up my sleeves doing a sleight-of-hand trick, the spectators never seem to take notice.

As for mentalist effects; I deliberately roll-up my sleeves as part of my routine during my fork bending demonstration. Both tattoos are of mythic creatures, so I don’t think it detracts from the presentation.

“If this be Magic - Let it be an Art”

The Magic & Illusion of George Anderson
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
I really don't see where it matters in either direction. I would think having tat's on your face and kneck could hurt your corporate work though.
espmagic
View Profile
Special user
865 Posts

Profile of espmagic
I actually use a tatoo in an effect ( I cannot describe it as it was a gift), and it freaks people out that the prediction is actually tatooed on my hand...
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Chichi,
You are correct. It really doesn't matter one way or the other.

I have never worked trade shows, however I still get many requests to perform and speak at corporate events and parties. I thought these gigs would be on the decline as well, though it seems if one has a reason to be marked as such, the ink will fly. It comes back to intent and purpose.

Magic is an art. Tattooing is an art. I strive to bring new life to each, and in turn they lift me up and help to inspire me. It is an odd thing to be inspired by for most; it's a very personal thing.

-J.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
TT2 that is why I said "could". Some corporations might not want that. Others might not care in the least. that's why overall I don't see where it matters.

I don't have a tattoo and I really never plan on getting one. If I was to get one it would be a two digit number or a playing card maybe the wavy lines of a esp card. I wonder if that really adds to an effect though or does it just make people thing that everybody says, ave of spades and wavy lines?
Jerome Finley
View Profile
V.I.P.
SLC
3419 Posts

Profile of Jerome Finley
Great point. None of my tattoos are magic related. My consideration was the same. We know tattoos are a permanent thing, and if we were to reveal a prediction, outcome or thought in ink, I believe people would be inclined to think it a common answer, a rigged answer, an answer or outcome with only one possible solution, and that . . . set in paint within the body of the performer.

Some people claim success with tattoos in these respects. Not having ventured there myself, I am not at liberty to say.

-J.
Samuel Catoe
View Profile
Inner circle
South Carolina
1255 Posts

Profile of Samuel Catoe
As a tattooed performer, I have to say that it does not matter. If the tattoos can be covered, no problem. If they can't and the client does not want to see them, you won't get the job anyway so no problem there either. That said, tattoos are much more acceptable during current times than in the past. Many of the current 20-30 year old generation have tats themselves and do not regret them unlike the older generations. Many of the older generation who do have them regret getting them and feel they are something for the sleazier people of the world. This is not so for today's adults and they show it in their ready acceptance of tatooed artists.
Author of Illusions of Influence, a treatise on Equivoque.
PM me for details and availability.
chichi711
View Profile
Inner circle
5810 Posts

Profile of chichi711
Samuel do you use any of your tats for performance?
Richie Dagger
View Profile
Loyal user
Tucson, AZ
268 Posts

Profile of Richie Dagger
I wouldn't use any of my tats for a revelation. It has potential to make for a great drawing dupe if the opportunity came up, but I think it might come off as a force at that point (even if it was a free choice).
Jay Are
View Profile
Inner circle
4188 Posts

Profile of Jay Are
I'm not tattoo'd yet...

soon though, I have been sitting on a back piece design for the last 2 years.

Can't wait to get it done!

In my opinion , this all depends on your personality...

Are we painting the mentalist into the same stereotype corner as the magician?

Please tell me that is not what we are doing guys...
xxx
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I have my logo and a tribal snake I designed on my body. With that said 4 other people have variations of my logo on them. Check my myspace.com/scott_xavier for a pic of a fan named greg whos leg is covered with my logo/tat...
Chris Jones
View Profile
Elite user
437 Posts

Profile of Chris Jones
I think Jermay did do tattoos years ago but I don't think he is an artist anymore....

Im glad to see peopl eusin their other passion (such as tattoos) in their performances. Interesting to hear the different opinons. I don't think I would have a ttato o for an effect - to me seems a little cheesy but I suppose it could be strong.

Chris.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Tattoos and Mentalism... (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2020 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.12 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL