We Remember The Magic Café We Remember
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Again, Fiber Optics! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
I'm new to rope magic (I'm a vent), and recently just performed the Fiber Optics routine before an adult audience. Boy, what an experience! I've never thought the act would have that impact to the audience. Their jaws dropped in most of the FO moves and after my show I got many positive remarks about the routine.

But... I didn't do the sliding/gravity part of the routine. I was still not sure I'll do it correctly.

Now my question, what would you do IF or WHEN the small rope drops on the floor during that part? What will you say/how will you react?

Ony Carcamo, PHILIPPINES
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
SeaDawg
View Profile
Special user
The Lunatic Fringe
718 Posts

Profile of SeaDawg
Here's a twist... try it outside in the wind... When I am busking it can get really interesting...

You might want to Gaff the small piece with lead weights in the end if you are unsure if it is going to stay on during the gravity part...
Crazy people take the psycho-path thru the forest...
Sammy the Kid
View Profile
Veteran user
Southern Illinois
314 Posts

Profile of Sammy the Kid
I discarded the slide altogether... kinda gives away the secret I think.
It is a great routine and I get a lot of mileage out of the one rope version.
Daegs
View Profile
Inner circle
USA
4282 Posts

Profile of Daegs
First off, I would practice more as I believe it is 100% when practiced, I've only had it drop off once and that was due to my error rather than the technique itself not being 100%.(nor have I ever had any indication from anyone that it gave away the "secret" anymore than when you pull the ends off, but lets face it the audience thinks the ends stick together anyway even when they are examined).

I think there are two very different situations regarding dropping the little piece.

1: If you drop it and still have a hold of the two ends, then I would do the "loop" move to show it is a solid ring, and then throw the "ends" back on, and transition right into the ends going on and off the rope quickly.

2: If you drop it and have already released the ends(this shouldnt ever happen with proper timing because if you miss the little piece you should still have the ends). In this case I think a quick joke, simply putting the little piece in your pocket and then proceed to do the ends fusing sequence once or twice and then retrieve the ends from your pocket saying you knew they would come in handy and then put them back on.

I think that overall, the trick is not some super mystery that will leave the audience wondering about the secret for months to come, and is more of visual fun magic which is "in the moment". To that end, I don't think it matters if they know the secret because all the fun and entertainment is in the routining and energy you put into it.... so don't sweat the small stuff.

However, this advice is assuming you are at 99% or 100% with the move... if you aren't, then keep practicing and leave it out of the routine until it is.

This problem really boils down to the difference between a performer and an amateur magician.... When a great performer has a trick go wrong or a secret get exposed or whatever else, it is moved over quickly and smoothly and the audience doesn't care because the magic is about the MAGICIAN, not the trick. Conversely someone who is uncomfortable in front of an audience uses the *trick* as the focal point, so if something goes wrong with it, then all attention is on the magician and they will bomb because they werent expecting it.

So basically, work on becoming comfortable with an audience and performing and you'll never need to worry about messing up a routine because you'll have the confidence they are there for YOU and not the tricks, so even if the tricks don't work everything will work out fine!
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
16938 Posts

Profile of joseph
Daegs, those are excellent tips!...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Truly helpful posts! Thanks a lot.
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
jolyonjenkins
View Profile
Inner circle
United Kingdom
1155 Posts

Profile of jolyonjenkins
I think Daegs has some good answers to the question but just to add -

I find the gaffing Seadawg mentions (I think this was my idea) helps a lot, not just because it makes it less likely that the small bit will fall off but also because it makes the slide quicker, and therefore more deceptive. New rope also makes the slide more friction free and hence predictable. Often the piece falls off because the slide isn't well controlled because there is too much friction to overcome.

I also think that getting the small piece just the right length is important. Too short and it falls off easily. Too long and the end isn't in the right place for you to grab it with your right hand at the end of the slide, which also leads to fumbling or even dropping.
Jolyon Jenkins
Brian Tanner
View Profile
Veteran user
Fresno, CA
306 Posts

Profile of Brian Tanner
If the small rope should fall, just pick them up and say "Oh, sorry. These are the new Teflon coated ends." Then go right back into your routine.
Ony Carcamo
View Profile
Special user
Manila, PHILIPPINES
610 Posts

Profile of Ony Carcamo
Another thing I tried: I made the small rope a little longer (about an inch longer). And I found out the gliding was easier, and the "success rate" improved much. Try it!
Ony Carcamo
PHILIPPINES

www.onycarcamo.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Again, Fiber Optics! (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.24 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL