The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » XL by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
MagicMan1957
View Profile
Inner circle
1445 Posts

Profile of MagicMan1957
Coming soon from Jay Sankey....

I just spotted this new Sankey effect.
How do you think this would play for laymen?

http://www.mjmmagic.com/videos/xl.wmv

“XL”- The incredible card illusion that BECOMES REAL!

"The spectator shuffles the pack, touches any card, and the selected card is closely examined. You remove two Jokers from your pocket, and both Jokers are also examined. The selected card is slowly sandwiched between the two Jokers, and that's when some VERY strange stuff starts to happen. First, one end of the face up selection VISIBLY STRETCHES! Then, the other end VISIBLY STRETCHES! For the jaw-dropping climax, the two Jokers and the STILL STRETCHED selected card are all handed out to be thoroughly examined! You have turned the selected card into an honest-to-goodness holy relic! Comes complete with extremely cool gimmicks for both red and blue Bicycle decks, plus an exciting instructional DVD featuring 8 killer handlings including "The Classic Handling", "Stand-Up Stretch", "Spanish Inquisition", "Guerrilla Warfare", "Not A Levitation", "Seated Stretch", "Seated Stretch", "Don't Blink", "In Their Own Hands" and the "Holy Relic: Bonus Handling!"
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
It might play OK; it's up to your ability to sell the effect. Easy to figure out by looking at his video demo.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
I think it would go over well. Especially since they can examine the cards before and after the effect.
CardMaker
View Profile
Inner circle
Ludwigsburg/GERMANY
1063 Posts

Profile of CardMaker
Quote:
On 2006-12-20 22:51, Pete Biro wrote:
It might play OK; it's up to your ability to sell the effect. Easy to figure out by looking at his video demo.

:lol: Very easy to figure out, indeed!
I don't like that trick.
CardMaker/Bernd Maucksch
Finest gaffed cards for magicians
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I'm a big Sankey fan, but this one leaves me a little cold. And $20 seems a bit steep, even with a DVD.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
I think this will play well with lay persons; I need to remind myself that the effect is intended for lay audience and not magicians. Smile Cheers!
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
ToasterofDoom
View Profile
Special user
671 Posts

Profile of ToasterofDoom
I like it, but it's a bit overpriced.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
I've never paid $20 for a sandwich... Smile ...
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Alexis Sandler
View Profile
New user
13 Posts

Profile of Alexis Sandler
I much prefer Paul Gertner's handling of Peter Kane's stretching card plot, as published in his lecture notes 'Amalgamations!'

The notes come with the required long card included, contain 10 other worker routines, and cost only $15!

Just my opinion, of course...

Alex
Magiguy
View Profile
Inner circle
Seattle, WA
5472 Posts

Profile of Magiguy
Frank Garcia used to perform a three card version similar in effect, called the Stretching Queen (aka "The Lady Stretches," created by Jon Racherbaumer, Gene Castillon, and Marvin Johnson, based on Peter Kane's Elongated Lady), where the Queen is placed between two other cards, then stretched out from both ends of the packet, and then pushed back together again. At the end, the magician shows that there are really just three cards (front and back), and the Queen can be handed out for inspection (although I rarely encourage handing anything out for inspection, gaffed or not, since it tends to train audiences to want to inspect every little thing). He used to perform this as a packet trick, but it could easily be adapted to follow along the description in the first post.
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
One nice version is Don England's Plastic Lady , sold by Mike Powers.....
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Hawk-Eye
View Profile
Loyal user
G'day from Australia
203 Posts

Profile of Hawk-Eye
I think there are better versions out there...I wasn't all that impressed by it. Although it could work pretty well with laypeople.

Nick
Robert M
View Profile
Inner circle
2482 Posts

Profile of Robert M
Gee, I got excited there for a minute. It would be great to be able to hand out the stretched queen! But, the method is pretty obvious. I'll stick with Frank Garcia's routine or Gary Plants' ingenious version of this.

Robert
twistedace
View Profile
Inner circle
philadelphia
3772 Posts

Profile of twistedace
Aldo's version is much better and has a very strong climax.
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4574 Posts

Profile of silverking
The workings of Sankey's XL are completely transparent. This usually makes for difficulty that the performer is obligated to deal with while standing in front of their audience.
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Where can you learn aldo's version?
thanks
matt
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Quote:
On 2007-01-05 17:12, matt.magicman wrote:
Where can you learn aldo's version?
thanks
matt

I believe it can be found in The Essential Aldo Colombini - Vol. 3 - from L&L publishing called Rubber Illusion in which a Queen stretches to twice its length and then—if you blink, you’ll miss it!—it visibly changes into a miniature card.

I think this is the effect? Not 100% sure...
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
matt.magicman
View Profile
Inner circle
Mars
1524 Posts

Profile of matt.magicman
Thankyou thankyou
not entirly impromptu then, as a lot of his work is?
GhostSurfer
View Profile
Loyal user
224 Posts

Profile of GhostSurfer
...The quality of the supplied 'stretch cards' (red & blue) is very poor. They're not even Bicycle stock.

GS
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
What about the different presentations? Anything interesting?
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » XL by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL