The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » XL by Jay Sankey (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
Ok... you wind up with a stretched card and you give it to them? souvenir?
...to all the coins I've dropped here
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Talk about off topic, but....do spectators really keep souvenirs from unknown magicians? I don't know that I would keep a torn card or a bent coin or something. I always wondered why magicians handed out strange or otherwise destroyed stuff, except maybe to a kid at a party. Maybe if it was from a famous magician they saw on TV who was a household name they may keep it as a segway into telling their friends about the "famous guy" they met. But "Hey, see this? Some stranger came up to me in the street and....".

I could be wrong.....I often am.

Jeff
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
Oh, man. I have had people come up to me six months after I have performed for them and pull out a folded card from their wallet with a huge smile on their face. It doesn't matter if you're famous or not. If they like you and you do something memorable, they will keep the card.

As far as XL, it looks like Sankey has included a bunch of different handlings on the dvd (including a "torture" handling). The card itself is cool and I'm sure we could all come up with some great uses for it. But I don't know if I want to spend $20 on this.

BTW, Jonathan, I could be wrong, but don't think the card is supposed to be a giveaway. I think you show it around and then take it back. Sounds like it comes with a red card and a blue one. Unless you want to spend a lot of money on repurchasing the trick.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

Profile of Jesse Feinberg
I have noticed that people don't always keep their signed card, or torn card, etc... Not from me, just in general, from non-famous magicians. They don't care that much. But when David C. gives out something, they usually bring it home as a conversational piece. How many stretched cards do you get with XL. Even a full deck, and I'd be apprehensive about giving out such a cool prop.

I also agree that the overall handling is a little suspect, at least what I saw on the demo. I have a feeling this is better than we think though. There are other handlings and effects included too... New demo would be great!
Steve Hook
View Profile
Inner circle
Raleigh, NC, USA
1266 Posts

Profile of Steve Hook
Quote:

On 2006-12-21 11:34, Ibd1Mon99 wrote:
Am I missing something? As soon as he took the rubberbanded card from his pocket, you could see a Queen sticking out in between them. I don't get it.

When he put the jokers on the deck? No discrepancy...that was ostensibly the injogged queen and that's what you SHOULD see since the queen is injogged. That also sets up the next move.

It's actually a pretty cool routine, if not a little awkward at that one point, as Larry mentioned. Except, maybe unwisely, Jay paused right there to make a point with the cards. That's odd because that's exactly the time in the routine when the most heat is on the hottest object! If YOU do this routine, just don't do what Jay did!
;-)

-
Like Bonnie Raitt said, "I miss Little Feat more than I miss being 8 years old." Thanks for the concerts + recordings, Lowell, Richie, and Paul!
JeffMac
View Profile
Veteran user
Sudbury, ont
350 Posts

Profile of JeffMac
I've got people pulling stuff out of their wallet that I showed them years ago.
You show somebody something and make it personal it's a story they tell for years
joseph
View Profile
Eternal Order
Please ignore my
17411 Posts

Profile of joseph
Some online magic stores are already sold out of this item.. Smile ..
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." (Einstein)...
Cameron Francis
View Profile
V.I.P.
7025 Posts

Profile of Cameron Francis
I'm not saying that everyone who signs a card keeps it forever. But some do.

I have already thought of a few ways to handle the cards which I don't think would look terribly awkward.

As far as the demo goes, it's not great. Jay did the same thing with "Moving Violation". He put the worst presentation on the demo. When you get the dvd, that presentation isn't even on there. I use Moving Violation all the time as a way of handing out my business card. I use the "Six of One" handling. Wonderful trick.
MOMENT'S NOTICE LIVE 3 - Six impromptu card tricks! Out now! http://cameronfrancismagic.com/moments-notice-live-3.html
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

I need to get that (moving violation) when I get back home. I saw it at Hank's, and it looks great! Its really fun to perform! I am going to purchase XL too, simply because the gaffs it comes with should be really cool, and I'm SURE the handling explained is excellent.

This is why demo videos are such a problem.
evolve629
View Profile
Inner circle
A stack of
3838 Posts

Profile of evolve629
Off topic - but I think Nailed is a very powerful and deceptive Jay's latest effect. You can have the spec keep the card as a very memoriable souvenirs to keep, IMHO.
One hundred percent of the shots you don't take don't go in - Wayne Gretzky
My favorite part is putting the gaffs in the spectators hands...it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling inside! - Bob Kohler
Tom Bartlett
View Profile
Special user
Our southern border could use
763 Posts

Profile of Tom Bartlett
Quote:
On 2006-12-22 16:22, Jessiah wrote:

I also agree that the overall handling is a little suspect, at least what I saw on the demo. I have a feeling this is better than we think though. There are other handlings and effects included too... New demo would be great!

I thought you said it fried you!
Our friends don't have to agree with me about everything and some that I hold very dear don't have to agree about anything, except where we are going to meet them for dinner.
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-12-21 14:01, Jessiah wrote:
This looks like it would fry laymen for sure!

Nope. I also said I was fried by a version of Monte (not sankeys). And then I said I like to get fried, but even that was sort of misunderstood.. Smile
Jesse Feinberg
View Profile
Inner circle
www.jessesmagic.com
1074 Posts

?
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
Is this effect really worth 2 threads? Smile
Swifty34
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Swifty34
Only if people are getting fried, killed and slayed left and right are you allowed to have two threads
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
I think having two threads is "stretching" things a bit.

(I'll admit that pun is a stretch too)
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
We'll just let that "thread" pun "float" by.
Kevvy
View Profile
Special user
702 Posts

Profile of Kevvy
That "float" comment is actually doing all the "floating".
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » XL by Jay Sankey (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL