The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » I Need Your Advice (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
I wasn't sure which forum to post this in, but I finally chose this one. As many of you may be aware, I've been involved with magic for quite some time, performing on a semi-professional basis at a wide variety of events throughout the year. I do everything from strolling magic, restaurant work, children's entertaining and stage performances.

Well, I just signed up for Eugene Burger and Jeff McBride's Master's Class of Magic. I understand that, as part of the class, you are encouraged to perform one or two effects that you would like to improve upon. They then critique your performace and work with you to make the effect and its presentation stronger. These strategies can then be applied to almost every other aspect of your magic.

I'm really excited about the upcoming class in March, but I'm having a lot of difficulty narrowing down the effects I would like to work on. That's where I need some input. If you were to attend a class like this, what would you want to focus on?

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>______________________
<BR>
<BR>www.kentwongmagic.com
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
There is no answer for you. Each person has his or her own liking and dislikes. You must be very new to learning magic; otherwise you would know one or two things that you would like to work on.

Ask yourself what type of magic do you like doing or see yourself getting paid for. Once you select the type of magic, close up, stage, platform, kid shows, mind reading, comedy, etc. then you can narrow it down to the effects you like.

Sounds like you are just starting out and have not yet found your performing persona. You can also get good information from books and DVD’s without going to a class.

Good luck in finding who you are in magic.

Best
Ray
DJ Trix
View Profile
Inner circle
1165 Posts

Profile of DJ Trix
Well for sure you should focus on your topit work and most of all your self levitation. There may be other things that could be considered but choosing them would be foolish.

DJ
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Ray,

I've been performing magic on a semi-professional basis for over 40 years. In fact, I paid my way through a Business undergraduate degree and a law degree by performing show after show. Even today, with a thriving legal practice and a business consulting firm, I continue to perform over 180 paid shows each and every year.

So, at the risk of sounding conceited, I humbly do not consider myself "very new to learning magic", nor do I consider myself "just starting out". I am very comfortable with my performing persona and the shows I perform.

Yet, even with all of this experience, I still believe there is a wealth of knowledge out there that I can draw upon to improve my performing abilities. Would I ever dare say that I could learn more from a book or video than the personal instruction and guidance of some of the industries top professionals? No.

If you read my original thread, I'm not asking what anyone thinks I should focus on. I already have a huge list in that regard. That's the problem - it's too big. I need assistance prioritizing the list and then making my decision.

That's why I asked what "you" would focus on if "you" were taking the class. I was hoping the opinions of other Café members would give me sufficient food for thought to help me finalize my decision. Hope that helps to clarify things a bit.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
I would take some things you are not comfortable with or things that you just don't know what to do. Eugene is all about scripting, if you have an effect that is perfect in all the handling and skill, but can't think of a good presentation, Eugene is your man. Jeff is filled with resources and titles of books that would be beneficial. If you have questions on effects, history, or theory, wirte them down. Jeff can guide you in the direction you need to go. Don't take things that are brand new to you, you don't want to embarass yourslef. Just things that are weak and need polishing. Good luck to you, and above all else, HAVE FUN!

Matt
Magical Dimensions
View Profile
Inner circle
5001 Posts

Profile of Magical Dimensions
Hi Kent,
Sorry if you took my post as a hurtful thing. I did not mean anything by it. I took your post for what I thought it was.

To tell you the truth I am 51 working on my second retirement and doing magic. I have been to many places in the world and seen and done a thing or two. At this point in my life if I was going to this class I would concentrate on how I could put more WOW into either my card manipulation act or floating ball bit (one point hook up).

I think that stagecraft would be a very good topic such as blocking, people management, and how to raise the WOW factor in a persons act. But these are not tricks/effects they are the meat and potatoes of entertainment.

I hope that you like and have fun in the class.

Best
Ray
Kent Wong
View Profile
Inner circle
2458 Posts

Profile of Kent Wong
Ray,

No offense taken my friend. I understand how miscommunications can sometimes arise in forums such as these. I'm on the same train of thought as you when it comes to increasing the WOW factor or my stage presentations. However, I also like Matt's ideas about scripting. Sometimes, I find that the most classic of effects are the hardest to script. Thanks.

Kent
"Believing is Seeing"
<BR>
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
The true beauty of what Jeff and Eugene do is that it is all about helping you...who you are and what you are doing magically right now. Its not about what you could be if or someday when, etc. Since you do a variety of very different working conditions I would recommend that you take a close up or strolling effect that you feel is a strong or "signature" piece and a stand up or stage piece likewise.
This way you will get both close up and platform direction from these two sage men, and help making your strongest stuff even better! Its a win-win-win. Have a great time!
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5845 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
My recommendation is to do an effect that works great for you, that seems like there's no room for improvement, as well as one effect that you can't get to come across the way you'd like it to. That way, you can get wide ranging advice.

Before you go, study the writings and performances of these performers, so that you also have a good understanding of where their advice comes from.
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
McBride and Burger are very good at helping you with as much as they can, so perform what you perform anyway, let the class and the masters critique it and improve that, as it's most important, and if there is anything else you wish to learn, then you'll find there is time to work on it with either them or your fellow class members.
Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » I Need Your Advice (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2022 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL