The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » I got kicked out of the mall for doing magic! (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
Dave Scribner
View Profile
Assistant Manager
Lake Hopatcong, NJ
4959 Posts

Profile of Dave Scribner
In addition to performing without permission as has been mentioned before, another possibility here is homeland and mall security. It's possible they didn't want large gatherings for security reasons. During the holidays, most malls increase their security both to prevent shoplifting and to thwart terrorism where large numbers of people gather. In the mall close to me, the police were there in full combat gear complete with assault rifles. Going over board? I think so but that's their job.

If you plan on doing this again, you might want to go and talk to mall management (not mall security) and have them explain what happened to you and why. Then you'll know what to do to prevent it from happening again.
Where the magic begins
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1904 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
JoeJoe, the only problem I have with these guys doing this for FREE as it were is this. After doing their free show, they want to show up at my shows, and be treated as if they are a peer.

Every profession has people working for free ... I can call a friend who will come over and install a new tub, won't charge me a thing. Do plumbers get upset for this? I don't care if they do.

Do rock stars get upset because a guy is playing some tunes for his friends at a party? I wouldn't expect so.

So a lady cooks a birthday cake for a neighborhood party ... doesn't charge a thing to do it, does this make the bakery look bad? I somehow doubt it.

Yet, "professional" magicians want to jump up and down just because a kid is showing off at the mall ... next, lets bad mouth uncle lester - how dare him pull that kids nose off! He should get paid for that - but instead he goes off and gives the kid the quarter claiming it was in his ear! The nerve!

Being able to turn your hobby into a profession is a gift, and should not be taken for granted. And you should always remember that there are those out there who still view magic as a hobby, and they are not graced with the blessing of making a living doing something they love to do. It doesn't mean they are trying to hurt your business or show you up. Who knows, when they get out of school they might turn pro themselves ... they certainly have the drive to do so. Being hungry is a good thing.

-JoeJoe
Watch the Pilot Episode of my new TV Show:As Seen on TV: The JoeJoe Magic Show
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
To summarize, in a nutshell….

In any venue, especially a public venue:

-Check out the rules, policies, and laws

-Find who is in charge and GET permission

-Be aware you are not the center of the universe and your show may be subverting other activities

-Do not perform in a venue where you are taking business from another performer

-Respect the confines and guidelines of the venue

-Be good at what you do!

I personally think pulling out your magic in a public place like a mall or restaurant uninvited and unwelcome, is a little like dropping your pants in public...
but then guys do that too.

My two-cents,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Malls are not "public areas", they are private property which is open to the public. The distinction is important. They have the right to ask you to leave, if they feel that what you are doing in any way interferes with the Mall's commercial operation.
I'm sure you feel that you weren't interfering with business, but the point is, it's not your call. The mall is private property, and if the management doesn't want you there, you gotta go.
They may have legitimate reasons for forbidding you to perform. During the holidays especially, anything that causes a bottleneck to foot traffic is a problem in a mall. As mentioned above, liability is an issue as well (and probably their biggest concern)
The simplest, and wisest course, may be to just go to the mall office and tell them you do magic and would like permission to perform for free, to gain experience working for an audience. If they say yes, go for it. If they say no, go someplace else.
Wherever you live there is probably a public space, like a park or public square, where you can get permission to perform. Even there, though, you should check and find out if you need a permit of any kind.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
munkywrench
View Profile
Loyal user
Conway, SC
288 Posts

Profile of munkywrench
I did a show for a local VFW. The kids whose folks were off doing their thing in Iraq apreciated what I did for them. I do magic for fun and personal fufillment. I am sure I could make a little cabbage but, that's not what I am in it for. For someone to come down on me because we have different interests in the realm of magic is horrible. If you want to make a buck fine good luck...don't bag me because I don't want to. I am pretty sure that the "PRO" friends I have in magic look at me as peer because I work just as hard as they do in the sleight and presentation side of magic.
Family Biz. https://www.facebook.com/dreamweaverconway/
Disciple of the Close-Up Kinda Guy PH.
Balloon Blast Video Show junkie.
Supporter of http://www.myrtlebeachmagician.com/
Retired Demo Dude
IBM #334 supporter
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2006-12-27 11:51, munkywrench wrote:
I did a show for a local VFW. The kids whose folks were off doing their thing in Iraq apreciated what I did for them. I do magic for fun and personal fufillment. I am sure I could make a little cabbage but, that's not what I am in it for.

I'm glad to hear that, and it's probably the best solution yet for guys like us that rarely do professional gigs but still want to be able to do a show for a real audience. I see there's a forum here especially for this type of volunteer work, and I'm going to do some idea-shopping there.
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
expand your consciousness
View Profile
New user
47 Posts

Profile of expand your consciousness
Wow! what a response. Ok, to clarify I was given permission from security to move from one point to another if I wanted to continue performing, which I did so, it was surprising that they kicked me out the way they did? I have performed magic like so in 5 different malls, 2 at this one, that's why I was taken back by the way I was let out, security aside, "starving for attention", "working for free"?
I have no idea what you guys are talking about. I am an amauter, but a good one. I do performances like this as much as I can, Iv'e done this in large areas in Las Vegas, Seattle, San Francicso and Mexico, I believe this is the purest form to produce magic. In the open, in the surround having all eyes peer un your performance, I do this to practice being around different environments so I can succed in my demo. Maybe I am starving for attention, but I doubt it, plus I don't know anybody that can do multiple/mixed effects one after another, I know the people enjoyed it, and I loved it. But my demos only last 20-30min. And If anybody I need money to earn, but I love magic so much that I don't always see money as a must, so if I don't need it I'm not going to ask. Plus it would sound odd to ask for money while you are doing magic or after,especially if you don't really need it. Money doesn't rule my world, and is it so bad to donate your time for free.
BrianMillerMagic
View Profile
Inner circle
Manchester, CT
2038 Posts

Profile of BrianMillerMagic
You are missing the point. It is a great thing to donate your time for free - go volunteer at a hospital, underpriveleged school, nursing home, etc. You do not have the right to public performance in a private area such as a mall. Either get permission or accept the consequences of your actions. There are plenty of places that would love to have you volunteer your time.

And as for not knowing anyone that can do multiple/mixed effects one after another, that's just silly. Try any professional here on the Café, as well as many good amateurs (such as you claim to be).

Sorry if that came off sounding harsh, but you really don't seem to be grasping the idea here.
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19339 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
Quote:
On 2006-12-26 13:20, JoeJoe wrote:
Quote:
JoeJoe, the only problem I have with these guys doing this for FREE as it were is this. After doing their free show, they want to show up at my shows, and be treated as if they are a peer.

Every profession has people working for free ... I can call a friend who will come over and install a new tub, won't charge me a thing. Do plumbers get upset for this? I don't care if they do.

Do rock stars get upset because a guy is playing some tunes for his friends at a party? I wouldn't expect so.

So a lady cooks a birthday cake for a neighborhood party ... doesn't charge a thing to do it, does this make the bakery look bad? I somehow doubt it.

Yet, "professional" magicians want to jump up and down just because a kid is showing off at the mall ... next, lets bad mouth uncle lester - how dare him pull that kids nose off! He should get paid for that - but instead he goes off and gives the kid the quarter claiming it was in his ear! The nerve!

Being able to turn your hobby into a profession is a gift, and should not be taken for granted. And you should always remember that there are those out there who still view magic as a hobby, and they are not graced with the blessing of making a living doing something they love to do. It doesn't mean they are trying to hurt your business or show you up. Who knows, when they get out of school they might turn pro themselves ... they certainly have the drive to do so. Being hungry is a good thing.

-JoeJoe

I love the way you ignore the most important part of my post. I don't care if he does the free stuff, fine. BUT after playing a few songs for free at a party, does that guy show up and talk guitar riffs with someone doing a professional show? Don't think so.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
the levitator
View Profile
Special user
Spellbound Productions
546 Posts

Profile of the levitator
Unfortunately Danny, that has happened to me more times than I care to count. I've been performing as a drummer and vocalist for 17 years and I never cease to run into "Karaoke Bar Heroes" that want to "talk shop". It's irritating on one level, when you have put so much of your life into something to be the best you can be and someone just saunters drunk up to a microphone and publicly embarasses themselves for free and call themselves musicians. Open jams are even worse, but at least you know what you are getting into if you go to one. But, on the other hand, people have to start somewhere, and I ended up picking up a lot of drum students from beginners just starting out. Many people don't understand the difference of performing and giving a performance. It's easy to jump up and sing a few of your favorite songs. In my last band, Baskitcase, I sang 42 songs a night, sometimes doing 3 nights in a row. It's very similar to magic. Knowing a few tricks and performing them well is one thing. Crafting an hour of entertainment with scripted dialogue, planned pauses, music, blocking, choreography, lighting changes, and pyrotechnics that people will pay money to see is a totally different animal.

I think this "phenomenon" is pretty prevalent in most artistic circles. I think it's our job as professionals to try and nudge people in the right direction without crushing their hopes and aspirations.

Danny has a good point though. Just because someone is a hobbyist doesn't mean they shouldn't try to be as professional as possible when performing in public. And speaking as someone who feeds his daughter with the money he earns as an entertainer, I wouldn't be too thrilled if I walked into my mall and saw someone performing shows for free. Kudos to getting out there and performing though. If you were able to get a nice crowd who seemed to like your magic, just go the next step and go through the right channels. Heck, they might even hire you and pay you the next time around! Please don't take offense to anything I've said, as I am not trying in any way to insult you or make you mad. I'm just trying, like others here, to encourage you and just give you a nudge in the right direction so that you can enjoy your craft and put your best foot forward at the same time. Smile
"It's all in your head...."

James Anthony
www.spelz.net
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2006-12-27 17:24, the levitator wrote:

I think this "phenomenon" is pretty prevalent in most artistic circles. I think it's our job as professionals to try and nudge people in the right direction without crushing their hopes and aspirations.

I stopped doing wedding photography for a number of reasons I wont go into here, but one of my pet peeves was, when I was doing the formal poses of the bride, groom and wedding party, I'd get my shots set up and there would be a guest who showed up with his own camera who would be shooting my setups. One guy actually walked up and started rearranging my group shots! "Best man, move to the right and crouch down, Maid of Honor, move right"
Trust me, that guy got a "nudge" in the right direction!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1714 Posts

Profile of jakeg
I have no argument with anyone who wants to do magic for friends, family or for a good cause. But going into a mall that has mega promotional bucks to spend and doing free shows? Why hire a magician when we can get one for free? There is definately a place for free shows, and there is a heading on this forum that covers the subject. If you're going to give it away, do it for a charitable venue where it will do some good. Malls give nothing away. Every promotion that they have is designed for one thing, to create traffic. For do nothing for altruistic reasons.
Just to answer DSach...., I had a guy at a wedding tell me that he was going to shoot my formals so that he can give them to the bride and groom and they wouldn't have to buy them .... Same thing, right?
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Exactly what I'm talking about Jake
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2676 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-12-26 13:20, JoeJoe wrote:
Quote:

-JoeJoe

I remember a local story about the gymnasium of a local school which needed painting. The parents of the students got together, donated paint and time and painted the gym. The paper ran a story about it and the local painters union wrote a letter tot he paper about how upset they were that the gym was painted without union help. One of the parents wrote back and said they hadn't been able to afford union help, if they'd <had> to have union painters, the gym would not have been painted. The union representative wrote back that in that case, it would have been better if the gym had remained unpainted!
"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Rafael Sabatini, Scaramouche
jakeg
View Profile
Inner circle
1714 Posts

Profile of jakeg
You hit the nail right on the head: The school couldn't afford it ... we should be performing at places that would otherwise 'go unpainted' because they couldn't
afford it. A mall is a commercial enterprise, not a charitable organization. I know unions and industries that fund charities that would otherwise go begging. (St Jude's Hospital, for one, is either entirely or partially funded by the entertainment industry.)
I did shows in upwards of 30 state and locally run schools and hospitals in Pennsylvania and West Virginia every year, some more than once. The local chamber of commerce would suggest which and set them up for me. That was while I was earning a living doing magic, and doing shows on a steady basis. I knew pro ball players who visited Children's Hospital in Pittsburgh once a week when they played in town, but would never consider working for free for a commercial enterprise. Lots of people do it and it's admirable. All that I'm suggesting is that if you want to work for free, do it where it will do some good, not somewhere that has huge promotional budgets.
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1904 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2006-12-27 14:47, Dannydoyle wrote:
I love the way you ignore the most important part of my post. I don't care if he does the free stuff, fine. BUT after playing a few songs for free at a party, does that guy show up and talk guitar riffs with someone doing a professional show? Don't think so.

I did answer your question, it just didn't get past your superiority complex.

-JoeJoe
JoeJoe
View Profile
Inner circle
Myrtle Beach
1904 Posts

Profile of JoeJoe
Quote:
On 2006-12-28 07:46, jakeg wrote:
You hit the nail right on the head: The school couldn't afford it ... we should be performing at places that would otherwise 'go unpainted' because they couldn't
afford it.

You could look at it the other way around too ... as in, the aspiring magician would go "unpainted" otherwise.

-JoeJoe
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3486 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
OK,
-what this guy seems to want is to hear:

1) you are a good performer with lots of experience even though you don’t care about money.

2) you poor dude, they were sooooo mean, how great you hone your magic by doing shows uninvited in malls.

And he seems pretty much closed to any other response.

-In the real world:

1) there are proper ways to perform, and actually do good, on a volunteer basis, without taking work away from magicians who make their living by performing.

2) there are proper ways to go about gaining official permissions to perform and be invited to perform, without annoying mall managers and security professionals.

There are some totally self-absorbed performers, in every craft,
who will do what they do, no matter what policy, laws, or even etiquette dictate.

In my opinion, we are wasting time by not just agreeing with this guy and stroking his ego.

Magically,
Walt
“Tales of Enchantment: The Art of Magic”
by Walt Anthony
www.LeapingLizardsMagic.com

"spinning tales and weaving enchantment"
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
19339 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
It will save us some time won't it Walt?

God I hope that wasn't a superiority complex you exibited.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Powers of the Mime
View Profile
Regular user
126 Posts

Profile of Powers of the Mime
I got kicked out of a mall for skateboarding. Big deal.
A mime is a terrible thing to waste.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Street Magic » » I got kicked out of the mall for doing magic! (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.23 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL