The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strolling mentalism at Christmas parties (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
Lately, I've noticed that people don't seem as interested in my strolling mentalism. They've seemed "bothered" for me to approach them at the last few XMas parties I've done.

Interestingly, at both events, they had me come in right at the beginning... at the cocktail hour. I've noticed that most people were more interested in getting to the bar, getting a drink and catching up than magic.

Normally, I try to get booked for later in the night... after dinner, but my last two clients insisted.

Is this just a bad time? Am I doing something wrong? Is there a good "approach" to people at cocktail hour?
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
John

there is NO such things as a bad effect and there is no such things as a BAD audience...Only BAd performer......maybe there is something wron with your Tone, Remak, PErsona, etc.....YOU!....something that you Project and telegraph to them...I dunno what that is...only you know
Jim-Callahan
View Profile
V.I.P.
5018 Posts

Profile of Jim-Callahan
John,

I have found that after I do one numberology demo the rest come to me.

Personaly I like cocktail hour becouse people are just starting drinking and I get in and out earlier.

I also put up a movie size poster anouncing I will be performing at the venue.

You would not believe how much easer this makes things for a performer.

-Jim
“I can make Satan’s devils dance like fine gentlemen across the stage of reality”.
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Hi John,

Last week I was hired by a hotel up Country to perform at various Christmas parties they were hosting.I started out entertaining in the bar mingling from group to group.They then were invited to the dining room and I performed table to table before their meal and in between courses.All went well,as always there was a few things that pop up but nothing to write home about..

In regards to introducing myself,I simply shake everyone's hand give my name ask them for their's explain who I am, crack a joke and sometimes move straight in to it from there.I ask them their opinion on mind reading and do a quick demo where the spec reads my mind (pocket writing) Gets their interest,makes them feel good and great applause que(other tables see/hear this they will be more open in receiving you)

I think Coctail hour,after drinks are pretty much all the same to be honest.Its important to sometimes just chat with people for a while before going into your sett.I believe your an entertainer,you entertain with or without the magic.Thats my view,though Im learning everyday though Smile

Take it easy,Have a good Christmas Smile

Pete
Spinnato
View Profile
Elite user
428 Posts

Profile of Spinnato
Quote:
On 2006-12-23 09:25, mesmer wrote:
John

there is NO such things as a bad effect and there is no such things as a BAD audience...Only BAd performer......maybe there is something wron with your Tone, Remak, PErsona, etc.....YOU!....something that you Project and telegraph to them...I dunno what that is...only you know

Bull S***
BULL S***!!!

Obviously you've never performed in the real world. If you did you'd realise that there ARE such things as bad audiences. Especially when it comes to close up. Sometimes they don't want to be bothered. As stated in the original post, people just want to mingle and catch up. Magic/mentalism and magicians, at these events, are often an intrusion. Period. It's the nature of the beast.

So, take your "mightier than thou" attitude and go out and start performing for real, live, honest to goodness paying crowds and then tell me that there's no such thing as bad audiences!!!!!!!

***n. Can you tell that comments such as that are my pet peeve????
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
There are some very bad pieces of advice in this thread probably stemming from a cultural difference or lack of experience in the real world.

The simple fact of the matter is that when guests arrive at a cocktail hour they have three priorities.

1.Thirst
2.Hunger
3.Catch up (talking to people they haven’t seen in a while)or just plain socializing.

The simple truth is that they for the most part couldn’t care less about you but don’t take it personally.

Pay attention to what Jim does and listen to my approach, which is to offer a palm reading to break the ice before you try anything else.

In other words don’t make it about your abilities but turn it around and make it

ALL ABOUT THEM

Learn Numerology,Palmistry,Graphology and you’ll find that once you do the first reading at one of these events you’ll never get to anything else and they will be waiting to see you,...and you won’t have to go beyond you’re first awkward approach.

And that my friend is REALITY !

Best,
Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.
Creator of The Clearly Q&A Board

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Hi Sebastian,

Good to hear from you!Maybe it is a cultural difference Smile,My approach works for me,Most of my experience comes from the stage though(Comedy club weekly,Before Dinner stand up shows,odd theatre performance,various hotels etc)I have had roughly 15-20 strolling gigs this year and my approach is exactly how I described above and it works for me(pocket writing piece puts the attention on them,makes it about them but palm reading would take that to another level),maybe it's an Irish thing Smile Though has to be said 15-20 strolling shows is not exactly a huge number so maybe your have a point about "lack of real world experience" Smile

Side note gotta say Jim's book on Birth Date Profiling is great,I just want to learn everything there is about the meaning of the numbers and lines before I start using it(I know you don't have to but it's the way I am)I would love the audience to come to me,how much easier would that be!Its the reason I bought the book Smile

All the best and wish you all a great Christmas Smile

Pete
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Pete, The cultural differance which I was specifically referring to originates approximately 12,831 kilometers South of Dublin.

I was not reffering to your post at all.

Best of the Season to you,
Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
kbiehler
View Profile
Regular user
165 Posts

Profile of kbiehler
Grobbelaar,you said "I ask them their opinion on mind reading and do a quick demo where the spec reads my mind (pocket writing) Gets their interest,makes them feel good and great applause que(other tables see/hear this they will be more open in receiving you)." When they read your mind, what kind of question are you asking them, and then do you pull the answer out of your wallet? This approach sound good.
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
I have to disagree with you mesmer... there ARE bad audiences... and there are bad times... bad places... bad effects... etc.

A GOOD performer can work with these and still pull off a good performance, but make no mistake... there are BAD situations, people, etc. and sometimes it's a real challenge to come up with creative ways to deal with them.

As far as my tone, body language, etc... that's a good point. I'll have to see if I can get someone to video tape me and maybe I can pick up on something.

Jim... great idea about the poster... if nothing else, it gives me face recognition with the guests and lends an air of "respectability" to me... since in their mind, if he has a poster, he must be at least "fairly" good... =)

Sebastion, you make some good points... and I agree with your assessment of their priorities. My problem has been time... with only an hour, I find it very difficult to go into palm reading or numerology and hit a good cross section of the people... maybe I need to work on the speed at which I do them.
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
John,
There is a technique for doing group Palm Readings,.... therefore speed is not really a big issue.

Best,
Black
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
JohnCressman
View Profile
Special user
Allentown, PA
903 Posts

Profile of JohnCressman
I've never come across a technique for group Palm readings... where can I find out more?
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
Quote:
On 2006-12-23 09:25, mesmer wrote:
John

I do not know how you can make such a broad proclamation without even knowing the various situations nor the performer.

I would prefer to provide information as to how I approach these venues... that can start off slow but usually wind up just fine as soon as folk's loosen up a little and get some food in them.
I alway's have my trusty appearing table with me in my close-up case.If it looks like the guests overall... are preoccupied with eating,chatting etc.,I whip out my table and start doing some visual magic.Usually a few folk's will gather around,and then some more when they here the applause... which I cue.
After this brief stand-up performance,I excuse myself saying I will be roaming around doing more magic and I hope to see you all again later.
By that time,the rest of the guest's have usually started to relax,and are primed for my entertainment.
I find it easier to introduce myself,and engage in a little chat before I hit them between the eyes.

Best.

Rich
kcalB
View Profile
Special user
Took me 16 years to make
999 Posts

Profile of kcalB
Well there you go John...a few colorful mental flourishes and your off to the races.

On the Group Palmistry ...lookup When Gypsies go Rouving.
"Klaatu barada nikto"

Former Member of P.E.A.

Alumni
ECSSI
ECSSII
ECSSIII
ECSSIV
ECSSV
BizarreHauntingsI
Rocketeer
View Profile
Special user
Westchester, NY
965 Posts

Profile of Rocketeer
Mesmer you gotta stop smoking that Thai stick before you post man. Of course there are bad audiences. Ask any comedian. Back in the 70s I did stand-up in NYC--Catch a Rising Star, The Improv--the usual suspects. Let me tell you. You can do the exact same act, virtually word for word and kill 'em on one night and the next night (at the same joint sometimes!) fall flat on your ass. Everybody has bombed. We can hone our acts, remember our lines, keep it fresh and present out best face to the crowd but ultimately, you can bomb for no good reason.
I'm selling my hardcover autographed limited edition copy of Jerome Finley's "Thought Veil"

PM me for info.
acesover
View Profile
Special user
I believe I have
821 Posts

Profile of acesover
Wow....Reading these responses makes one wonder how many have really performed at a "CocktaiL Hour". If it is truly only one hour it becomes a very difficult task indeed. At many functions at takes about 4 or 5 minutes (real time ) to get a drink at a bar. Next there are hourves being passed around which only last for about 3/4 of the Cocktail Hour (everyone wants the shrimp ones with the bacon so don't even try and compete with that.. ha, ha). Also in this hour many guests are finding their seats and getting situated so it is not really an hour. Also most mentalism effects take a few minutes as opposed to "pick a card" or a "ring vanish" Coumpounded by the fact that many people are doing just that ...going to the bar for a cocktail and besided geting a drink for themselves they are often bringing drinks back to the table which when they come back become the center of attenetion. A magician is much better suited for a Cocktail hour than a mentalist. Wish I had a little more time to write on this but the wife is callng me to help with Christmas deserts (making them). Just my opinion on the real world and we know all about opinions.
If I were to agree with you. Then we would both be wrong. As of Apr 5, 2015 10:26 pm I have 880 posts. Used to have over 1,000
Scott Xavier
View Profile
Inner circle
3672 Posts

Profile of Scott Xavier
I hate strolling. Do a stage show instead..
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
For everyone who dissagree with me....well what can I say....I lived in indonesia (Asia), so what's your excuse???

its different culture and different battleground

and yes I am a working pro
just type "romy rafael" at http://www.google.co.id

and Rocketeer
In here get cought with thai stick (carying it or smoking it)
will give you death penalty

Happy Holiday Guys
mesmer
View Profile
Inner circle
1186 Posts

Profile of mesmer
For John, and everyone outhere who find my post is Full of ***it and for everyone outhere who lived outside ASIA teritory, I apologize for my 1st post, I make a posting based on my point of view and past experience from working in here, NOT from your Battleground in there.....
Tom Cutts
View Profile
Staff
Northern CA
5930 Posts

Profile of Tom Cutts
Quote:
You can do the exact same act, virtually word for word and kill 'em on one night and the next night (at the same joint sometimes!) fall flat on your ass.

And for this we blame the audience?

Isn't it our job to connect with the audience and not the other way around.

Which brings me back to the topic. Consider what the party goers need and give it them. Maybe you are on at the wrong time. Maybe you are using the wrong approach. What if you were the ambassador of the party? Could you try this as your approach, but soft sell it?

Does it seem you are an unexpected inconvenience to be endurred? Jim has a good solution for side stepping this issue. There are others.

Too often strolling can come off as more an interruption of the party. How can you change that perception?
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Strolling mentalism at Christmas parties (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL