The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Jermay's New Book. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
Mine arrived today.
Roslyn
View Profile
Inner circle
UK
3405 Posts

Profile of Roslyn
Quote:
As I understood it, there was no cover?

Mine came with a front cover that was signed by Luke and numbered 47 of 50.

As for comments about it being bound. It was bound by hand with ribbon.

I agree that this was not bound in "book form", but it was bound none-the-less.

There's no need to turn the pages in to a "book" as I have done. The only reason I did this was so I didn't damage the original pages.

I photocopied the originals and bound the photocopies myself for the cost of 80p.

I know that many people didn't like it. But I thought it was a nice idea personnally.

To say that this is looking at it through rose tinted glass is rubbish.

I LIKED THE IDEA! End of story.

Now if Luke had just sent out 40 odd blank pages for $200 then yes you could compare that with a blank dvd. But he didn't.

As far as I'm concerned Luke sent out the manuscript in a quirky manner that attempted to give something different to those who bought it. Some liked it. Seems many didn't, which is why all other manuscripts from him shall be bound in the traditional and far less creative way.

Its a shame I think. I like stuff that's different and quirky.

Anyway, its the content that counts at the end of the day. And that's awsome!
The Magic Cafe account of The Conwy Jester, Erwyd le Fol formerly known as Roslyn Walker.
My home online
Join me on Facebook
Follow me on twitter
Carlos the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
California
1234 Posts

Profile of Carlos the Great
Quote:
On 2007-02-09 21:06, The Doctor wrote:

(BTW, Wal-Mart is a company with investors, shareholders and financiers - a whole gamut of people to answer to. Luke Jermay is just one kid with a laptop answerable to noone except his creditors and god. Hardly a fitting comparison is it?)

You didn't get the point of my post at all. So little of it, in fact, that I won't even bother trying to repeat it a different way (either I didn't explain it well or you don't wnat to understand, either way, I am moving on).

However, your above quote is completely erroneous. I strongly suggest you read three books before you try to comment on the comparison of business entities: "In Search Of Excellence", "Built to Last", and "Good to Great". The basic premise is exactly opposite of what you said, i.e., not only is using large and successful companies "fitting", it is required to understand what it is that allows small companies (like Wal-Mart was) to evolve into largely successful business entities. Very basic business stuff really, something I think all performers (especially those who engage in trade in the market) need to understand more of, the post by the Doctor showing how true this really is. Of course, those books are written by experts who actually know what they are talking about, so what could they know...

I stand by what I say 100%.

-Carlos
Cognite tute
Pete Legend
View Profile
Inner circle
Ireland
1401 Posts

Profile of Pete Legend
Guys its a book ..well kinda a book Smile just let it go Smile Its really not worth the fighting..

Im still awaiting mine to arrive..Oh If I catch my postman performing a pulse stop on TV I will be so pi$$ed!

Pete
r1z08
View Profile
Inner circle
1158 Posts

Profile of r1z08
Agreed, Grobbelaar. I wish that people would just leave it be. I cannot believe the ammount of "freak out" there has been over this.

My other question is why are people wanting in-depth reviews over each of the effects? There are only 50 of these in print...if you don't have one, you won't get one. There is no need for any of us who took the plunge to give up any details of our investment. Certainly if you are looking for a review you will not get one from me. I hope the other 49 respect the material enough to not do so either.

Let's just put this thread to rest already.
Kenguru
View Profile
Loyal user
Hungary & Israel
273 Posts

Profile of Kenguru
Quote:
On 2007-02-12 19:21, r1z08 wrote:
Agreed, Grobbelaar. I wish that people would just leave it be. I cannot believe the ammount of "freak out" there has been over this.

My other question is why are people wanting in-depth reviews over each of the effects? There are only 50 of these in print...if you don't have one, you won't get one. There is no need for any of us who took the plunge to give up any details of our investment. Certainly if you are looking for a review you will not get one from me. I hope the other 49 respect the material enough to not do so either.

Let's just put this thread to rest already.

My thoughts exactly.

No point to have an in depth review for something you can not get anymore is it!?

All right then. I'll go to hell. (Mark Twain)
Bennettjc
View Profile
Loyal user
Brooklyn, NY
257 Posts

Profile of Bennettjc
In all fairness to those who weren't among the 50 purchasers of the 47 pages who are requesting (demanding?) reviews there is a good chance that "The Bigger Three" will hit the secondary market.

Even Chuck Hickok in an earlier post here said:

"....It is an investment. With only 50 copies being sold, I will be able to resell it whenever I want for more than I paid unless it very, very poor...."

So there may be some value in reviewing it.

Bennett
mota
View Profile
Inner circle
1658 Posts

Profile of mota
Just a thought...

Those who did not purchase it may be interested in a review for another reason...to see if Jermay can be trusted when he advertises something.

It could come into play when considering to buy from him in the future.
harishjose
View Profile
Special user
932 Posts

Profile of harishjose
When a product has an exclusive label to it, that means that the buyer gets to join an all exclusive club. The best salesman tactic to play.

Stand back gentlemen, and look at the big picture. The emperor can be naked or may be wearing Gucci, but THAT is not the point of focus with limited editions. The point is that YOU get to join an all exclusive club.
To believe is Magic.
David Numen
View Profile
Inner circle
2077 Posts

Profile of David Numen
Thing is you don't often get an "honest" review in such cases.

In several Cold Reading texts there is discussion about getting the money for the reading up front before you begin - this is because psychologically the client will be more likely to work to accept what you say.

Furthermore, I understand some therapists (such as hypnotherapists) are advised to charge high fees as it also psychologically motivates the client to have a successful session.

People who have paid $200 for a book are not very likely to give an honest review simply because they have made the investment and will "work" to get something out of the book.

This is both a good thing and it can be a bad thing. ç

At the other end of the spectrum you have those people with more disposable income than sense who are constantly looking for THE routine that's gonna change their performing lives and who are usually dissatisfied with what they buy because they are more interested in the pursuit...those people are likely to give you a bad review.

Personally, not matter how good the material, I think he has something of a nerve with the presentation, although I've heard a certain Kross performer sends out one of his highly priced manuscripts with coffee stains on it so what do I know?
I'm not saying you won't get a good honest review, just that it won't come by easily and honestly.
Kenguru
View Profile
Loyal user
Hungary & Israel
273 Posts

Profile of Kenguru
There were some honest reviews here (listing what the reviewer was happy with and what not). These were not detailed reviews and rightly so.

All right then. I'll go to hell. (Mark Twain)
Reuben Dunn
View Profile
Inner circle
Has a purple ribbon wraped around my
1592 Posts

Profile of Reuben Dunn
Guys and Gals....41 lose sheets of paper tied together with a ribbon does not a book make, no matter how much spin one wants to put on it.

The kicker for me was the joyful declaration that a free DVD etc. was also being offered....

Must be a big sale of rose coloured glasses.

$200.00 times 50 sets of 41 sheets of paper styled as a "book", which, On 2007-01-06 06:33, wonder pefomance (Who seems to have vanished into the ether...another monicker for Jermay perhaps?)wrote:

"Hey hey - Luke has been working on this new book for the last few years with every spare minute that he's had. The layout, binding and general look and feel of the book are tip top. Great material direct from his Vegas one man show all wrapped up in an awesome package. The books are now back from the printers and when they ship in just a few days time everyone will see their glory."

Does the layout, binding (ribbon tied sheets) and "general look and feel of the book" stack up?

If Jermay did this on this particular "exclusive" release, is he to be trusted in the future for any other releases?

Trade description is a key element in any product that is sold. I would suggest that at the very least the use of the phrase "mis-leading" is the gentlest critism of his advertising.

But, if you're happy to call 41 sheets of paper a book, then so be it..

I'd rather call a spade a shovel, and not an ear wax remover myself....
Good Thoughts.

Reuben Dunn

www.reubendunn.com
Dr Spektor
View Profile
Eternal Order
Carcanis
10781 Posts

Profile of Dr Spektor
But Rueben,

You forgot to calculate the cost of the ribbon... it may have been very fancy ribbon. Perhaps this ribbon can be used for Mentalist Nightmare routines? Since I do not own a copy - only the lucky 50 will ever know (until the books are up for auction in the near future).

Plus, it is designed to be a customizable book - i.e. knowing how the brethern like everything personalized, he made it so people can put their own covers on it, bind it as they see fit... its like why organic food costs more than regular food. Perhaps he felt this was a form of brain food organic style? he could have sold it more if he just gave the papers blank with some ink in a bottle to really make it even more personalized - free handed script etc.

As for the invisible DVD - maybe it has the Emperor's New Tricks on it. I think the Eric Cartman invisiblity technique (Ninja Style) may be contained on it - with a variation from Aleister Crowley's inviso tale in an English pub.

In the end, the value will be based on if the buyers feel they are happy with it.

Personally, I still like Building Blocks... which I took to be a pastiche tribute to Banachek.
"They are lean and athirst!!!!"
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
Anyone want to sell their "The Bigger Three" or trade it for Alain Nu's awesome OOP Mind over Matter manuscript!

PM me!!
Patrick Redford
View Profile
Inner circle
Michigan
1751 Posts

Profile of Patrick Redford
There's one for sale in the for sale section here on the Café.
slydini62
View Profile
Special user
939 Posts

Profile of slydini62
What are the name of the effects in "The Bigger Three" that are the Instant Memory and design duplication tricks? Please PM me if you need to do so....
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Penny for your thoughts » » Jermay's New Book. » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (1 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3..6..9..12..14~15~16
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.04 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL