The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Call me a Scrooge BUT... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
I agree with you Brett and I applaud you for speaking up. It's not so much the words themselves that I mind, it's the unspoken assumption that we are all christians, or believers in one faith or another. I'm proud to be an atheist, and while I respect the beliefs of others, I don't want to be lumped in with them.

Of course, having said all that, I also understand that it's Steve's priviledge to send whatever holiday greeting he chooses. I am but a guest in his house and a very grateful one at that, for I have learned more here than I ever thought possible.
DerekMerdinyan
View Profile
Inner circle
1030 Posts

Profile of DerekMerdinyan
Happy Christmahannakwanzaramadatet is my favorite greeting this time of year. That way you pacify everyone all at the same time!

However, giving that tomorow is Christmas...

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYBODY Smile

Derek Merdinyan
daffydoug
View Profile
Eternal Order
Look mom! I've got
14077 Posts

Profile of daffydoug
Quote:
On 2006-12-24 13:39, Timothy Drake wrote:
Quote:
On 2006-12-24 13:16, Freak Prodigy wrote:
I just opened a Private Message from Steve Brooks that wished everyone at the Café a Merry Christmas...Thanks but no thanks.

There are aprox. 27,971 members here and not all of them are christian, nor do all of them celebrate christmas.

I feel that if a message like that is ever sent out again, it needs to include the whole spectrum of the "Gift Giving" holidays.

Thank You,
Brett Loudermilk

But Brett... what if someone doesn't celebrate ANY holiday this time of year??? Your idea of wishing them a good " gift giving holiday " might offend them????

I got the same PM from Steve. It simply said " Merry Christmas" which is the holiday on tomorrows calendar. How can you be offended by good wishes from anyone? I recently attended a Hannakah party and when someone greeted me with " Happy Hannakah " I thanked them and gave them a Happy Hannakah right back. Maybe I should have said... " No thanks... I'm Christian" ???? I took their greeting in the spirit it was intended and was thankful for it.

Best,

Tim
You have the right idea. Kudos!

But what's weird to me is that even among Christians their are those who are offended by the use of a Christmas tree. Or Santa Claus. My personal feeling is that a lot of people just need to "lighten up" a bit. I mean man, it's not the end of the world and it only lasts for one day in the year. Cut people some slack for Pete's sake.
The difficult must become easy, the easy beautiful and the beautiful magical.
Julie
View Profile
Inner circle
3943 Posts

Profile of Julie
Good for you Doug! (I believe there're a couple of puppies wandering through the Café tonight who need to regroup and THINK before they post...)

Best of the Season to Everyone!

Julie
Brian Proctor
View Profile
Inner circle
Somewhere
2325 Posts

Profile of Brian Proctor
Merry Christmas to you all!!! Smile
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Quote:
On 2006-12-24 14:52, leapinglizards wrote:
Here is my slant.... I think it is OK to say "Merry Christmas" on Christmas, "Happy Hanukah" on Hanukah, "Good Yule" on Yule, "Happy Good Friday" on Good Friday, "Good Samhain" on Samhain, "Jouyous Tibettian Butter Festival" on the Tibettan Butter Festival, and "Happy Tuesday" on Tuesday.

It bothers me more than anything else that Soooooo many people have taken offense at a well-wish, that we all seem to have to walk on egg shells when we give someone a well-wish.

If someone was intentionally trying to exclude someone (inviting a Othodox Jewish friend to dinenr and only serving pork) or place them in an unfcomfortable place (Having a pagan friend over and insisting that they go attend communion) that would be different.

But, generally, I really think people are well-meaning in their greetings around these times of year, and I appreciate the thought. Even if it comes in a "flavour" that I don't particularly align with, I take it with the intent it was given.

I think the problem is that people feel that their own beliefs and festivals were getting overshadowed by the six-hundred pound gorilla that is Christmas!

(Although these days, the gorilla seems a bit anemic with everybody pushing him into the background of "Happy Holidays.")

But, as I said in an earlier post, I wish one and all a Merry Christmas, a Happy Chaunkah, a Festive Kwannza and a Cheerful Weasel Stomping Day!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
ClintonMagus
View Profile
Inner circle
Southwestern Southeast
3997 Posts

Profile of ClintonMagus
Have a blessed Christmas, everyone...
Things are more like they are today than they've ever been before...
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Profile of Jonathan Townsend
May you receive the blessings of Chthulu as well this joyous day.
...to all the coins I've dropped here
ed rhodes
View Profile
Inner circle
Rhode Island
2889 Posts

Profile of ed rhodes
Somebody did one of those comic book type handouts concerning your prayers to Chthulu that you be eaten first and spared the misery and dispair of living under his horrible rule!
"...and if you're too afraid of goin' astray, you won't go anywhere." - Granny Weatherwax
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

May Ganisha surprise you by moving some obstacles this day.
Jonathan Townsend
View Profile
Eternal Order
Ossining, NY
27300 Posts

Quote:
On 2006-12-24 23:20, mandrake01 wrote:
Somebody did one of those comic book type handouts concerning your prayers to Chthulu that you be eaten first and spared the misery and dispair of living under his horrible rule!

Blah blah blah

Such fear of the waters from which we all came.

How can we truly be whole till we embrace the oceans?
Josh the Superfluous
View Profile
Inner circle
The man of
1881 Posts

Profile of Josh the Superfluous
Being Jewish, my biggest problem with Santa Claus, is that he uses my credit card.

Merry Happy and to all a Miller Lite!
What do you want in a site? "Honesty, integrity and decency." -Mike Doogan
"I hate it, I hate my ironic lovechild. I didn't even have anything to do with it" Josh #2
sparks
View Profile
New user
Charlottesville, Virginia
89 Posts

Profile of sparks
Quote:
How can you be offended by good wishes from anyone? I recently attended a Hannakah party and when someone greeted me with " Happy Hannakah " I thanked them and gave them a Happy Hannakah right back. Maybe I should have said... " No thanks... I'm Christian" ???? I took their greeting in the spirit it was intended and was thankful for it.

Bravo! Very well said Timothy!

My two cents: To tell a person they are wrong in extending a holiday greeting UNLESS they are willing to cover all the bases and extend all possible holiday greetings is flat out wrong. Steve is free to write any greeting he desires… it is his greeting… his choice… his words. I for one have grown very tired of this PC inspired over-sensitivity nonsense.
Sparks

It's kind of fun to do the impossible - Walt Disney
Alym Amlani
View Profile
Inner circle
Canada
1464 Posts

Profile of Alym Amlani
I thought it was a very kind gesture on Steve's part to send good wishes for the holidays. Happy Holidays to everyone here on the forum and to your families as well. It's not necessarily about WHAT you wish people, rather, it's about the spirit behind it; and the spirit behind his post was indeed genuine.
Logic Defied
Jeff J.
View Profile
Special user
Connecticut
787 Posts

Profile of Jeff J.
I am an athiest, but I have no problems with anyone wishing me a Merry Christmas, or anything else meant to convey good wishes. In this day of political correctness it is ME who is afraid to wish anyone a Merry Christmas for fear I will offend them. As was said earlier, they are just words by people who are conveying their happiness during this time of year to another person.

By the way Greg Arce, from one athiest to another, MERRY CHRISTMAS! Smile

Jeff
Magix
View Profile
Elite user
432 Posts

Profile of Magix
Regardless of your viewpoint, isn't it nice to belong to a forum where this sort of topic can be discussed without the thread deteriorating into name calling and personal attacks?

I love it!
MR2Guy
View Profile
Regular user
Nashville
179 Posts

Profile of MR2Guy
Being Atheist myself, I think I understand why it was mentioned if it truly offends, but I like the Peace On Earth - Good Will Towards Men thingy, and Santa Claus getting down all those chimneys! Whew! I try not to think about the houses with no chimneys.

I guess it's best just to try to put yourself in the other persons position, you don't have to agree, or even respect their beliefs, and if someone wishes you well someday celebrating their belief that there are no gods, or god is a Flying Spaghetti Monster, do unto others.

I propose a toast!

Here's to all the minds we've opened to wonder and awe, and may every horrendous YouTube magician either stop posting, get their (ahem) act together, or pick up another hobby, such as popsicle stick collecting.

*Tink*!

May the double always lift.

Jason
Question every rule.
There are no absolutes.
Vandy Grift
View Profile
Inner circle
Milwaukee
3504 Posts

Profile of Vandy Grift
The title of this thread bothers me. Scrooge is always singled out as being "Anti-Christmas". That's how Scrooge was at the BEGINNING of the story. However, in the end;

Ebenezer Scrooge kept Christmas well.

And

Scrooge was better than his word. He did it all, and infinitely more; and to Tiny Tim, who did not die, he was a second father. He became as good a friend, as good a master, and as good a man, as the good old city knew, or any other good old city, town, or borough, in the good old world. Some people laughed to see the alteration in him, but he let them laugh, and little heeded them; for he was wise enough to know that nothing ever happened on this globe, for good, at which some people did not have their fill of laughter in the outset; and knowing that such as these would be blind anyway, he thought it quite as well that they should wrinkle up their eyes in grins, as have the malady in less attractive forms. His own heart laughed: and that was quite enough for him.

*** that's some good writin'. Jew, Gentile, Muslin, Atheist or whatever. You gotta give it up for Dickens. What a genius.
"Get a life dude." -some guy in a magic forum
Skip Way
View Profile
Inner circle
3771 Posts

Profile of Skip Way
I feel , as an American, it is proper to respect another's religious or secular beliefs. This does not mean that I have to honor or extend tribute to them. It is ridiculous to expect any individual to address every conceivable belief structure in the hopes of avoiding a PC slight. With respect for all, I openly and guiltlessly celebrate Christmas. If this offends you, it's not my problem.

Odd...I don't hear anyone whining about Mardi Gras or Valentine's Day or...

Skip
How you leave others feeling after an Experience with you becomes your Trademark.

Magic Youth Raleigh - RaleighMagicClub.org
Leland Stone
View Profile
Inner circle
1204 Posts

Profile of Leland Stone
<<<<<----chiming in to agree with Skip, Tim, Others: Taking offence at another's expression of goodwill merely because it falls outside one's theological, philosophical, or political boundaries is thinly-veiled narcissism.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Not very magical, still... » » Call me a Scrooge BUT... » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3~4~5 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL