The Magic Caf
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mark Wilson's Complete Course (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
etrigan69
View Profile
New user
11 Posts

Profile of etrigan69
First, a funny story. My significant other was cleaning the top of the refrigerator a couple of days ago. She yells at me, "Do you want this book?” The book in question is "Magic for Dummies" by “Pogue". For the life of me I don't remember buying that book.

Here is the problem with Pogue's book. It has absolutely no sleights. I would think that sleights are what a beginner would need to practice most.
mrunge
View Profile
Inner circle
Charleston, SC
3716 Posts

Profile of mrunge
Most beginners just want to do magic, which in turn makes them a "magician." This is where the "Magic For Dummies" book comes in.

With this book, they can instantly learn a few, really easy, basic magic tricks that gives them something to do immediately. Now they are a magician! Right?

Well...not really. More of a trickster at this point but that's another topic.

Once one gets started in magic, can amaze their friends and family and wants to really get into magic, they will then start searching out and learning more about the art, the type of magic they like at that moment and the sleights needed to reach their goals.

Sleights, after all, take time to learn, work to get the mechanics down and lot's of practice to be able to perform them correctly. It is NOT easy.

In this age of instant gratification and a lack of "stick to it" by many people, the market for quick success is wide open. That might explain why almost every magic effect marketed says things like "easy", "self working", "no skill required", etc.... As we know, this is not quite true.

In any event, if your interested in magic, pick up a magic book and learn a few tricks. Get some applause from your efforts to boost your confidence and enjoy your magical journey. Even if it comes from a "magic for dummies" book, some of the best, and time tested effects can found there.

Mark. Smile

PS - The Mark Wilson Complete Course book is a much better book to start with and covers a LOT more types of magic, including basic coin and card sleights. It will become a much treasured part of one's library.
fless
View Profile
New user
68 Posts

Profile of fless
Glad I bought them both then. As for me, I am definitely into sleights, that's what I find cool and challenging to work on. The performance part (family only!) is not my prime thing. I picked up some DL and palm card stunts on a web site, now want something more organized and complete. Cheers!
DaddyDoodle
View Profile
Loyal user
Northern Hemisphere
277 Posts

Profile of DaddyDoodle
The Wilson book is pretty much the definitive standard. There's no one way to use it - start at the beginning, start in the middle, jump around - you'll ALWAYS learn something new.

As stated earlier in the thread, the Tarbell course is another standard. It was actually written as a correspondence course and steps you through progressively.

Both are great works!
Smile Tally-ho! And Tuscarora too! Smile
Adam J
View Profile
New user
87 Posts

Profile of Adam J
I actually got Mark Wilson's Complete Course In Magic awhile after I started magic. I had most of my basic sleights down by that time, but still, the book helped...alot. I have a friend whom I teach magic to, and this is what I gave him. It really is a great book, and covers a lot of everything.

You can pick it up, do a card trick or two. Get bored? Flip to the coins section. Or the stage magic section. Maybe one of the big routines, such as Cups and Balls, Sponge Balls, or Multiplying Balls. Right now, I use the Multiplying Balls from the book as my main routine, it is really easy and gets great reactions.

The book has a lot of drawings, and it's great because it teaches a sleight, and then a few tricks. Then another sleight, and then some tricks dealing with it. By the end, you've learned all the sleights and can use them in any of the tricks.

I'd say my advice is to stick with the book. You'll probably end up getting burnt out because there is so much info, but keep at it. Don't overload, and you'll be able to get down most of it with due time. But most of all, enjoy it and use what you learn!
rjsmith608
View Profile
New user
63 Posts

Profile of rjsmith608
If you like the Mark Wilson Course. I also recommend the video version of Mark Wilson Course. They also show some clips from the old Mark Wilson shows. It has a lot of stuff from the book and some other stuff not in the book. It is 4 volumes and it's like you are getting personally taught by Mark and Nani.
Manny
View Profile
New user
57 Posts

Profile of Manny
Mark Wilson Course you can study from start to finish (boring) or jump around in it
see what you like and then practice,...practice and write a script to go with the
trick to make it yours.
If you can afford it buy Tarbell it is a great investment that you will not regret.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
You can't go wrong with Mark Wilson - a great starter
Cards never lie
Trekdad
View Profile
Elite user
Telford, PA
445 Posts

Profile of Trekdad
Like clynim, I got Mark Wilson's "Cyclopedia of Magic, A Complete Course". "Travel" size, (very compact), 638 pages, and it will take me a lifetime to get through it, it seems. An incredible addition to your library for only 9.95 US.
Barnhardt: You have tested this theory?
Klaatu: I find it works well enough to get me from one planet to the next.
The Day the Earth Stood Still
MagiCanada
View Profile
Regular user
Vancouver
140 Posts

Profile of MagiCanada
With Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic I started with the sections that most interested me. Stick with it and go though everything though. You'll find a lot of great magic in there that you'll love but may initially have thought to be not your thing.

It really opens your eyes to a great spectrum of wonderful things. Learn it all.

Neil
Magic of Dan
View Profile
Regular user
St Charles, MO
115 Posts

Profile of Magic of Dan
It was one of the first books I bought. I still go back to in every now and then. I used it to build my folding table that I still use after 10 years.
Dan
The Magic of Dan
DStachowiak
View Profile
Inner circle
Baltimore, MD
2158 Posts

Profile of DStachowiak
Quote:
On 2007-01-17 12:17, Magic of DanD wrote:
It was one of the first books I bought. I still go back to in every now and then. I used it to build my folding table that I still use after 10 years.

I built one of those too, it was great!
Woke up.
Fell out of bed.
Dragged a comb across m' head.
Magic of Dan
View Profile
Regular user
St Charles, MO
115 Posts

Profile of Magic of Dan
Yea, mine has seen a few different paint jobs, but I can still rely on it. It sure takes a beating. I've even been thinking about building another one lately. I did add a handle for easier transportation and a latch to keep it closed when carrying it.
Dan
The Magic of Dan
phillys
View Profile
Loyal user
232 Posts

Profile of phillys
I actually used some of the stuff from the book to plan and incorporate them into my children show. They are really great and not just 'beginner' tricks. They are only beginner tricks if you make them one by not adding ideas of your own.
mrsmiles
View Profile
Elite user
442 Posts

Profile of mrsmiles
My 3 favourite 'starter' books are as follows and in order of preference.
1. Tarbell
2. Henry Gross 'Pure Magic'
3. Mark Wilson
When I started out I came across 2 & 3 first, only discovered Tarbell quite a bit later. But looking back, this is how would now rank them. The Henry Gross book is a real gem. Exceptionally clear explanations with beautiful & clear photographs. Whilst it is not as complete as Wilson it does teach a hell of a lot of sleight of hand, so it puts you in a position to expand and grow magically. Plus there are a number of very neat routines in there. I still use, 25 years later, a card effect called 'Chameleon Card' more or less exactly as he taught it (in a technical sense) but with some patter adjustments. Of course the sleight of hand I have used ever since - DL's, card controls, palms, passes (for coins) etc - and I learnt sponge magic there too.
All the best,
mrsmiles
(UK)
Dynamike
View Profile
Eternal Order
FullTimer
24148 Posts

Profile of Dynamike
I'm really glad Mark Wilson put the book together for us at a low price. To me it is a steal. He could of put the book in different volumes to make a lot more for himself. That guy has a big heart.
jmuscold
View Profile
New user
86 Posts

Profile of jmuscold
I would read the book in sections, just pick the section you are interested in coins, cards, rope, then start on the first page of that section.

His tricks usually build upon prior tricks.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
I agree.
Choose what you like to read first, but read the whole thing.
The Wilson Course is a great introduction to magic.
You will learn things that you will remember and use for years.
Peace,
Parson

BTW: Mark and Nani are wonderful people!
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
closeupcardician
View Profile
Special user
Justin Teeman Moore, OK
602 Posts

Profile of closeupcardician
It's a great book which I believe is a must have for EVERY magician. No matter what type of magic you end up doing. It is a "Firm Foundation"
"Magic as art cannot live without love. Love of some kind. There are novels without love, other arts without love. But there can be no magic without love." - Rodney Reyes
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Even today, I sometimes look it up . . . . and that says a lot
Cards never lie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mark Wilson's Complete Course (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL