The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mark Wilson's Complete Course (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
984 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2007-08-19 23:56, Andy the cardician wrote:
Even today, I sometimes look it up . . . . and that says a lot

yeah.. me too. I still perform a modified version of the sponge ball routine from the book.
"Talent without passion is talent wasted.."
https://www.youtube.com/user/yinhowe80/
ViciousCycle
View Profile
Loyal user
210 Posts

Profile of ViciousCycle
Since CCIM is such a potpouri, be sure to come up with your own list of the tricks from the book that you most want to practice/perform. Since the book is like an encyclopedia that covers a lot of different areas, it's easy to just browse the book instead of getting down to work. Since I mainly do card magic, there's a lot of tricks in here I'll never touch, but I've found card tricks in here that get killer reactions.
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
Too bad more magicians just starting out don't get this book.

I know one kid who is eager to learn. When he saw my copy of this book, he agreed that he should probably get it, but wants to purchase some DVDs first! The small price of the small book, ten dollars, would pay off in bigger dividends than what he would pay for one of the DVDs he wants at thirty-five dollars. I know it's his choice, but I feel it's important for him to learn the basics first. Oh well!!! Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
984 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 03:25, clynim wrote:

I know one kid who is eager to learn. When he saw my copy of this book, he agreed that he should probably get it, but wants to purchase some DVDs first! The small price of the small book, ten dollars, would pay off in bigger dividends than what he would pay for one of the DVDs he wants at thirty-five dollars. I know it's his choice, but I feel it's important for him to learn the basics first. Oh well!!! Smile

I so agree with you, clynim. Just like people who want to dive into DanAndDave fluorishes without properly mastering the basic card fans.
dans595
View Profile
New user
24 Posts

Profile of dans595
I just looked up DanAndDave, and that is the most impressive thing I've seen in magic so far! Wow!!!
yin_howe
View Profile
Special user
Malaysia
984 Posts

Profile of yin_howe
Dans595, you can search the forum for reviews on DnD's dvds etc etc.
Andy the cardician
View Profile
Inner circle
A street named after my dad
3362 Posts

Profile of Andy the cardician
Quote:
On 2007-08-23 03:25, clynim wrote:

you are soooo right.
Cards never lie
MagiClyde
View Profile
Special user
Columbus, Ohio
871 Posts

Profile of MagiClyde
To me, it's a sad commentary that in this day and age kids would rather watch a DVD than pick up a book. Books are the ultimate portable entertainment and educational device. You can take it wherever you want, you don't need batteries or an AC power source to power it up. You also don't need to lug around a whole bunch of accessories to make it work. And best of all, it helps to exercise your mind and imagination. These are things you really can't get any other way.

Personally, I can't imagine a world where nobody reads books, even if Bradbury did write Fahrenheit 451 about exactly that possibility! Smile
Magic! The quicker picker-upper!
R. Cayne
View Profile
New user
4 Posts

Profile of R. Cayne
Believe it or not I saw David Regal start his Cups and Balls routine the other night exactly as it is presented in Mark Wilson's book. While I was reading it I thought that some of the tricks were too simple, funny how your attitude changes quickly.

I reread the book and now realize how much valuable information there is in it.

Work through it completely and you will have a solid foundation upon which to expand.

Parson, you are absolutely right Mark and Nani are some of the nicest people you will ever meet.
Parson Smith
View Profile
Inner circle
1937 Posts

Profile of Parson Smith
R. Cayne,

Welcome to the board. It is always good to make new friends.

Peace,
Parson
Here kitty, kitty,kitty. Smile
+++a posse ad esse+++
Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
View Profile
Inner circle
1513 Posts

Profile of Kyoki_Sanitys_Eclipse
Father is right. The best way to use this book is to read it from beggining to end. That being said, I did skip the section on stage magic because I don't have any want to learn it. This book has so much in it that it will easily pay for itself in knowledge for what you put in for time and money.
Andy Young
View Profile
Special user
Jersey Shore, PA
821 Posts

Profile of Andy Young
This book is great. It gives you a general info on many topics in magic. Then after going through the book you can do more direct studies on the items that interested you.
OSANA79
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of OSANA79
The progression is very logical so I used both dvd and book at the same time and follow chapter after chapter...gives you technics, confidence and enlarge your global vision of magic step by step... A sure basis!
OSANA79
View Profile
New user
51 Posts

Profile of OSANA79
And gives you great repertoire to start with!
Adam Fraise
View Profile
New user
60 Posts

Profile of Adam Fraise
I know this thread is pretty old but I have to agree with those who recommend Mark Wilsons course. It was the first proper book I got and I still use it. Interestingly I am currently working my way through Tarbell and, for a beginner I think Mark Wilson explains the technical aspects much better (Yes, I realise Tarbell is pretty old).
Harry Lorayne
View Profile
1926 - 2023
New York City
8558 Posts

Profile of Harry Lorayne
I doubt if you've reached Tarbell #7 yet.
[email]harrylorayne@earthlink.net[/email]

http://www.harrylorayne.com
http://www.harryloraynemagic.com
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » New to magic? » » Mark Wilson's Complete Course (0 Likes)
 Go to page [Previous]  1~2~3
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL