The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Material (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Jon Allen
View Profile
V.I.P.
England
1771 Posts

Profile of Jon Allen
Bill Malone says the handkerchiefs he uses for the Slydini Silks are the same as parachute material. What exactly is this stuff? What's the best material to ask for in a shop?
Creator of iconic magic that you will want to perform.
The Silent Treatment, The Pain Game, Paragon 3D, Double Back, Destination Box and more.
Available at www.onlinemagicshop.co.uk
biff_g
View Profile
Loyal user
Canada
240 Posts

Profile of biff_g
I think that you might be looking for a very thin nylon.
rmorrell
View Profile
Loyal user
262 Posts

Profile of rmorrell
Jon,

If you haven't seen them already and you don't want to go to a lot of trouble you can purchase some really good quality Slydini Silks from Steve Draun:

http://www.stevedraun.com

And also watch a video clip of the routine you get with the silks.

Rich.
Rich Morrell
---
The Magician Blog
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Jon, if you want to make your own, you need rip stop nylon. Very thin nylon, as suggested by biff_g isn't as good.

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
I have several pieces of parachutes, and was wondering if these could actually be made into silks for use in different tricks?
Thanks
Steve Smile
zzz
Ps I know a good seamstress if that helps.
Z
cataquet
View Profile
Veteran user
England
363 Posts

Profile of cataquet
Steve, the answer is yes and no.

Parachutes are made of nylon. Nylon doesn't compress as well as silk, so if you try and conceal a nylon piece, it will take up more room than the equivalent silk piece. I estimate that nylon has only about 1/3 of the compressability of silk. So, if using a dye tube or thumb tip, silks have the advantage.

However, if compression isn't a problem (eg, you are using a change bag), then nylon has the advantage in that it doesn't wrinkle as much as silk.

Finally, try and use uncoated nylon. Frequently, especially in kites and some parachutes, the nylon is treated with a waterproof coating. This can make the silk much thicker than its stated weight. This means decreased compressibility and a noisier "silk".

Bye for now

Harold
Harold Cataquet
sdgiu
View Profile
Elite user
The Boonies, NC
456 Posts

Profile of sdgiu
Thanks cataquet,
all my chutes are old decommissioned army chutes and have no coating. I have one cargo chute that's got to be maybe 40' across. That would make a really nice streamer; any tips on sewing, or dying this stuff?
Thanks.
Steve Smile
zzz
Paul Chosse
View Profile
V.I.P.
1955 - 2010
2389 Posts

Profile of Paul Chosse
Bill's right! See the thread on Slydini Silks on this forum for more info, Jon...

Best, PSC
"You can't steal a gift..." Dizzy Gillespie
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Material (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL