The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Magician Reveals Secrets For Diggs » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2 [Next]
Swifty34
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Swifty34
I just read this on itricks.com:

Linked from a (to this point) sparsely trafficked Digg thread, here is the exact text from Corporate Magician Kevin Viner’s website:

Free Magic Secrets to DIGG Users ONLY. Email Us Your Favorite Tricks and We’ll explain them to you!

Pretty brazen appeal for Digg reader traffic. What do you guys think? Comment below…

------

I sent viner an email askiing for the method to the blaine trick with the soda can that inflates and seals and he sent me that method within an hour. like youtube weiners exposing tricks weren't enough?
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Here's our brother magician Kevin Viner's offer to the general public:
http://www.kevinvinermagic.com/

If you see Kevin around, be sure to let him know how much we all appreciate his efforts.
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Wow! Pretty sad when he at least claims that he is a "CORPORATE MAGICAN" and then turns around pulls something like that. Did he actually expose the trick or give an explanation as to what you saw (effect not secret) or did he give you some silly explanation?
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
Swifty34
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Swifty34
It was an accurate exposure, I know the trick and he told me how to do it and then told me to Digg the story. he responded to the initial story ( http://itricks.com/news/?p=205#comments ) but if he says that he is not revealing anything he is lying.
LWright
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
146 Posts

Profile of LWright
What an idiot.
-Lloyd Wright
"Take what you take, give what you give, just be what you want just as long as it's real.."
magikev
View Profile
New user
California
18 Posts

Profile of magikev
Hey people. Kevin Viner here. This whole thing's getting blown way out of proportion. Here's the deal. No secrets were supposed to have been given away. I am doing this as a marketing ploy for my corporate magician http://www.kevinvinermagic.com website. I received an email from somebody asking about healed and sealed, and responded the next morning telling them to purchase it from Elmwood Magic. I then saw an article posted online, and immediately called the writer, Justin Young. We spoke and he brought to my attention that somebody had received an accurate explanation for the routine. I did not create the marketing idea myself, but somebody did who also has access to my email account. I found the email mentioned by Swifty34, but it was not personally sent out by me, which means there was a misunderstanding on somebody's part on what the entire purpose of this was. NOT to reveal secrets, but instead to do a marketing game to get my site to the top for corporate clients. I'm a working magician, and understand the importance of trade secrets. If anybody would like copies of both emails concerned, I please let me know and I will post them. However, I will remove the names off the emails to protect privacy. The emails sent to Justin for further clarification still had the names present unless he needed to do any follow-up activity.

Most importantly, understand that I am sincerely sorry for the explanation being given away for one magic trick. This has been straightened out, and will not happen again. Thanks to everybody who has brought it to my attention.

Sincerely,

Kevin Viner
Owner - Kevin Viner Entertainment
http://www.kevinvinermagic.com
Banester
View Profile
Special user
669 Posts

Profile of Banester
Hey Kevin, I just read exactly what you just stated on itricks. Guess you had us all going and it isn't even April fools yet!
The art of a magician is to create wonder.
If we live with a sense of wonder, our lives
become filled with joy
-Doug Henning-
LWright
View Profile
Regular user
Ireland
146 Posts

Profile of LWright
Thanks for clearing that up and apologies for the misunderstanding.
-Lloyd Wright
"Take what you take, give what you give, just be what you want just as long as it's real.."
magikev
View Profile
New user
California
18 Posts

Profile of magikev
Hey everybody. No problem. Glad I got everything cleared up. I just received an email asking for more clarification, and wanted to stress one more thing. There WAS an explanation sent from my email address, but it was from somebody else (another magician) with access to the account. I have talked with him and made sure this WILL NOT happen again. Just another clarification for anybody with further questions.
Jessiah
View Profile
Inner circle
J E S S E S M A G I C
1074 Posts

Profile of Jessiah
This dude is funny. He's even using this opportunity to plug his site! LAME Pay for advertising
Jessiah
View Profile
Inner circle
J E S S E S M A G I C
1074 Posts

Profile of Jessiah
Flizzaged
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
That's all well and good, except your post makes no sense.

You have somebody with access to your email account develop a marketing plan which involves stating CLEARLY on your website that you are offering explanations to tricks for the asking, then somebody emails asking for the explanation to "Healed and Sealed" and gets the explanation to a marketed effect sent to them right away from YOUR email address? (but by a mystery guy, without your permission)?

Be sure to re-read the above....especially the part where it clearly states on your web-site you're giving away secrets for the asking, which is exactly what happened.

What it REALLY looks like is that you came up with a strategy to attract web traffic by offering to give away secrets, you got caught rather red handed here on the Café, and now you're trying to find the most convoluted explanation you can come up with hoping to cover your tracks.

At least, that's what it seems like.

In addition, how does a marketing scheme work that involves promising secrets to magic effects and then NOT delivering them?
How does that build up trust with your clients?

Without further obfuscation, how about an explanation that makes sense?

(note: your website still clearly indicates magic secrets for the asking)
magicmind
View Profile
Inner circle
Wandering around with
2172 Posts

Profile of magicmind
I was just looking at his site, as you posted and all I can say is DITTO. So someone has access to his email that did not know they where not really giving out secrets? hmmm, maybe he can clarify that too
Pay it forward
silverking
View Profile
Inner circle
4586 Posts

Profile of silverking
Further, I've emailed Anders Moden to inform him that his effect has been sent by email to those asking for it from the web site http://www.kevinvinermagic.com/
I'm sure Anders will be interested in the story. (I've emailed him a link to this forum and thread as well).

Swifty34 asked for the effect "where the soda can inflates and heals itself" with Kevin offering up "Healed and Sealed". At least he's bootlegging and offering to expose original effects insted of copies.
Jessiah
View Profile
Inner circle
J E S S E S M A G I C
1074 Posts

Profile of Jessiah
This guy is begging to be hated on. How are you going to fool magicians by lying about "someone else has access to my email". WHO? Tell us. And either way, you lied about what you were doing. Your trying to give out secrets, and then your not. So how are you not lying about the emails. This is a HORRIBLE way to promote yourself. Its so backwards. This whole topic should be erased, and this dude should be booted. LATER BUDDY
Jessiah
View Profile
Inner circle
J E S S E S M A G I C
1074 Posts

Profile of Jessiah
Call him at: 760.586.3947

to learn tricks like:

Hanky Through Glass
Pencil Through Bill
Bending Fork
Haunted Hanky
The Vanishing Coin
Magic Printing
Pencil Through Hanky
Knife to Fork
Color Changing Napkins
The Magic Straw

hahaha what a joke
magikev
View Profile
New user
California
18 Posts

Profile of magikev
Hey everybody. It's me again. Once more. I'M NOT TEACHING SECRETS! This whole thing went out of hand. This is the last thing I'm going to say about it, and you can take it from there. I know another magician who is great at marketing. If he wants to come talk about this, he is more than welcome to. This WAS sent out from my address. This WAS NOT sent out from me. I didn't want to be hassled with, so I posted a reply to Justin that included my girlfriend's e-mail address, as well as a fake e-mail. I just wanted this done with. I removed the entire offer from my site. Sincere apologies to Anders Moden and anybody else this affected.

Kevin Viner
magikev
View Profile
New user
California
18 Posts

Profile of magikev
Umm . . . a few other things. The video for Hanky through Glass, Pencil Through Bill, etc. is a commercially released resale product through Hocus-Pocus. It was put together by Paul Romhany and Andrew Gerard. And the marketing was not about building trust through clients. It was about getting high rankings, and then erasing the whole thing from the site that actual clients use.
Jessiah
View Profile
Inner circle
J E S S E S M A G I C
1074 Posts

Profile of Jessiah
That's horrible. This tactic is not very well thought out. Pay for advertising or something... Magicians don't respect "secrets" handed out in any way shape or form. This is OUR stuff that you were toying around with, "pretending" to teach anyone that asks. Don't let anyone touch your email, and make sure your on your A game when working with top companies like Hocus Pocus. They probably wouldn't like this either, just my opinion though. Good luck with your "magic". Later
Swifty34
View Profile
New user
22 Posts

Profile of Swifty34
My email made it into that new itricks story! its long but they really go viners in a lie

http://itricks.com/news/?p=207#respond

my favorite part is when he gets his girlfriend to send an email covering his ass!

Silverking you are right that andres will be interested in this.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Latest and Greatest? » » Magician Reveals Secrets For Diggs » » TOPIC IS LOCKED (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2 [Next]
X
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2019 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.16 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL