The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » References for body loads and steals (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Well, I've always loved watching manipulation acts. I think it is simply beautiful magic. I've wanted to get more involved in this type of magic for a while. Currently, I've been performing mostly closeup (bars, restaurants) for about 25 years. I'm looking for some sources concerning body loading and steals. As a frame of reference, an act I would love to do (not copying of course, but create a routine in a similar vein with productions) would be Salvano's drink act from the Stevens Video Library. If anyone has some sources (books/DVDs) regarding this type of magic, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Patrick Flanagan
thoughtsexplorer
View Profile
Elite user
Elite... not D-Lite!
424 Posts

Profile of thoughtsexplorer
Alexander de Cova (a German) released some stuff about it, some are also available in English.
ufo
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
1185 Posts

Profile of ufo
There are several body load diagrams in Rice's Ency of Silk Magic under "Non-Apparatus Producitons". Some can be adapted to other objects with some creativity.
"What's your drug?" she asked. "Hope" he said, "The most addicting one of all."
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
Magic And Manipulation Of Geoffrey Buckingham (DVD)
magic4u02
View Profile
Eternal Order
Philadelphia, PA
15110 Posts

Profile of magic4u02
Also his book "It's easier then you think" by Geoffrey Buckingham is also a great wealth of information on this very subject.

Kyle
Kyle Peron

http://www.kylekellymagic.com

Entertainers Product Site

http://kpmagicproducts.com

Join Our Facebook Fan Page at

http://facebook.com/perondesign
patrick flanagan
View Profile
Inner circle
lisle, illinois
1045 Posts

Profile of patrick flanagan
Thanks for the replies. Very much appreciated.
Patrick
Paul Jester
View Profile
Special user
UK
759 Posts

Profile of Paul Jester
Buckingham is great for tail steals, waist steals and a few unusual ones, such as the lapel. He teaches you about body angles and misdirection too. There are a few other methods that he doesn't cover, such as the classic elbow dodge ... for the back of the neck. Rice's Ency. of Silk magic is a gem, it's as if he took all known tricks and methods and just taught them with a silk, for example he teaches Shimada's Dove on Cane as silk on cane in Vol 4. Other fine sources I found were in learning Parasols (Parasol Anywhere) and Fans (The Magic of Alan Wakeling) (for trousers steal and work on covered steals). There is also a wonderful steal from the inside of the jacket that Cardini used beautifully well, I've only seen it taught in the Benson book. Lets not forget the back pocket steal in the action of bending down or taking off the jacket too, that's taught in the can/lemon from shoe, or used as per the drink production.

The most beautiful and deceptive steals in magic have to come from Dove work, looped steals can be adapted to other objects.

Another thing to consider for steals to start a routine from empty hands is character gestures, the most famous being a clown who would produce things by stealing whilst scratching himself, personally I have used pulling up sleeves and tugging tails forwards. Also never waste a trip to a pocket.

For Liquid productions, Shimada uses the back pocket in a lovely tail steal taught on his Greater Video Magic Libary DVD on Doves, check out David Stone's new DVD, I think it's called the Real Work Vol 1, he has some lovely bottle/glass productions with a handkerchief. And as a personnal note, I prefer rubber covers to balls, as they scrunch up within the folds of the handkerchief.

And one piece of advice, don't turn your shoulders more that you have to.

I feel as though an entire book could be written on the subject of stealing, and perhaps there is a gap in the market there...

Paul
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Finger/stage manipulation » » References for body loads and steals (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL