The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Fountain (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
kennethoverturf
View Profile

0 Posts

Profile of kennethoverturf
I am looking to purchase a silk fountain. Which is the best? Diamond Silk Fountain, Silk fountain produced by Duane Laflin, or Grant's Silk Fountain (also where can I get info on Grant's?)

Thanks,

Ken Overturf
SpellbinderEntertainment
View Profile
Inner circle
West Coast
3519 Posts

Profile of SpellbinderEntertainment
My problem with silk fountains is that other than to us magicians, they never seemed very deceptive or magical in nature.

They are usually a poorly obtained huge ball, that unfurls into a pretty mess of silk. The exception for me is Jay Scott Berry’s wonderful improvement, which is very deceptively and simply obtained, is not a huge balled up load, and then makes for a very pretty and delicate appearance of color.

You then have the option of producing something from the silks.

It’s the only one I’d consider. My two-cents,
Walt
Darkwing
View Profile
Inner circle
Nashville Tn
1850 Posts

Profile of Darkwing
I use a silk fountain as the finale to a silk production and have never failed to get a positive response from the lay audience.
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi Ken:

The Laflin silk fountain is excellent, but since you asked for the best one, I'd have to go with Richard Hughes' silk fountain. They'll cost you quite a bit more than Laflin's, but Richard's quality cannot be beat.

Ron
mattmccoy
View Profile
Loyal user
203 Posts

Profile of mattmccoy
I absolutely love the silk fountain. I agree with others it can look really bad and not magical at all. When done right I think it is a master piece. My problem is I usually perform for big audiences. I thougth Berry's and Laughlin's was way too small. Hughe's was big enough but not exactly what I wanted. I think if it is a fountain it should really look like a "fountain." I ended up making my own and used it for three years before making another one. It has turned out to be a really good thing. I have only performed at two conventions but have had magicians ask where I got my silk fountain. When I told them I made it my self they offered money to buy the one I had at hand. Maybe I will start making them, who knows? I say, try making your own with some old silks laying around. Once you have discovered the sewing technique buy fresh silks to make a new one. I also use just a 36" silk finally. I bought a white one and died it myself. Only took one try to get the dying right. It is a a lot easier than most people think. Just time consuming. Good luck.

Matt
Destiny
View Profile
Inner circle
1429 Posts

Profile of Destiny
I use the large fountain by Richard Hughes, and love it.

It is a big ball to steal. I studied Duanne Laflins excellent Silk Fountain DVD and took an idea or two from The Magic of Marvyn Roy and Carol. With a bit of effort and sufficient practice it is no problem to make the fountains initial appearance 'magical'.

I think of it more as a transition and a 'build' than a trick - the load at the end being the 'trick'.

Audience response to the bubbling silk is wonderful and the Hughes Magic fountain produces an incredible amount of silk.
Bob Sanders
View Profile
1945 - 2024
Magic Valley Ranch, Clanton, Alabama
20504 Posts

Profile of Bob Sanders
Silk Fountains are great productions. They even can be used to take the routine to other productions. Sophistocated audiences love them. They don't require patter and language is no problem.

Since many of my friends manufacture and sell them (and I am the magicians' silk importer), I won't risk endorsing any specific ones. However, don't forget that they can custom make them for you too with sponsor, team, or other color combinations to enhance your show. Go for it!

Bob Sanders
Magic By Sander
Bob Sanders

Magic By Sander / The Amazed Wiz

AmazedWiz@Yahoo.com
hugmagic
View Profile
Inner circle
7665 Posts

Profile of hugmagic
Plastic- Glad it is working out for you. Yes, the large fountain is a large load (about the size of small volley ball) but it does make and impact.

I agree the fountain is not a trick but the perfect climax to production of silks by other means. The big silk at the end is a nice finish to itself.

As for custom colors, I have done some really interesting colors and combinations. I do a bunch of shades of blue and purple for Dale Salwak. I have also done a variety of red shades for another one.
It is unique but you have to know what final look you are going for.

Richard
Richard E. Hughes, Hughes Magic Inc., 352 N. Prospect St., Ravenna, OH 44266 (330)296-4023
www.hughesmagic.com
email-hugmagic@raex.com
Write direct as I will be turning off my PM's.
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
I agree with the positive reviews for silk fountains. We find that audiences always respond in a positive way to the multi colored silks bubbling up out of your hand. We also like the fact that a live dove appears out of ours too.

All the best,

Rob
magicdoctor
View Profile
Veteran user
Wi.
377 Posts

Profile of magicdoctor
I love my silk fountain I use it at the end of my opening routine with great crowd reactions I produce a dove with mine also.
Michael Von Schroeder [url]www.vonmagic.com[/url]
Spellbinder
View Profile
Inner circle
The Holy City of East Orange, NJ
6438 Posts

Profile of Spellbinder
The Spellbinders are in agreement on this one. If you just gotta spill silks all over the place, the Jay Scott Berry Diamond Silk Fountain seems to be the most magical version of them all. But some people have to learn the hard way, so just make sure you iron all those silks before your next performance.
Professor Spellbinder

Professor Emeritus at the Turkey Buzzard Academy of Magik, Witchcraft and Wizardry

http://www.magicnook.com

Publisher of The Wizards' Journals
graywolf
View Profile
Special user
South carolina
631 Posts

Profile of graywolf
I use one all the time. Why buy one when you can make one for the cost of the silks? Cordially,HOward
GWSchott
View Profile
Veteran user
Southeastern Michigan
361 Posts

Profile of GWSchott
I just ordered one from Dazzling Magic that ends with a 36" tie-dyed silk. Can't wait for it to arrive. Everything I've ever bought from Marty & Brenda Hahne has been top notch quality. I've never owned a fountain before but have always been impressed with the effect. So much color just bubbling up out of nowhere!
Yours In Magic,
Gordon
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
Graywolf, you are right, after I purchased my silk fountain for $100. I can see how easy one can make it for 1/2 the price.
cardone
View Profile
Special user
860 Posts

Profile of cardone
I made mine from 13 24 inch silks, some thread ,button and a lady's stocking. It took me 30 minutes to make. Get the Laflin DVDs. They are great.
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
I still like to know how the dove gimmick work with the silk fountain. I have been producing the dove from body load. Any suggestions?
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Magicdoc,

You can check out a demo video of it http://www.chameleonfabrications.com and click on the SFDove video button. The demo was shot so as to emphasize the fact that the dove comes out of the very centre of the opened fountain. The rest leading up to it is just for effect and not performance.

The dove itself is loaded after the fountain is folded.

All the best,

Rob
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
Rob,
very nice video demo. Wish I had bought your SF with the dove load instead my current on which cost only 20. less than yours. Does your dove load work for other SF, and what would it cost?
RJE
View Profile
Inner circle
1848 Posts

Profile of RJE
Hi Magicdoc,

Glad you liked the video.

Our Silk Fountain to Dove is a self contained dove production. It has been specially constructed to allow you to fold the fountain whenever and where ever you like (weeks before a show if you wish)and then load the dove just before the performance. Since it is (and has to be to operate)constructed as a single unit, it is not adaptable to a regular silk fountain. Sorry.

Rob
Magicdoc88
View Profile
Regular user
194 Posts

Profile of Magicdoc88
Rob, thanks for your information, I may end up getting your SF in the near future.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Smooth as silk » » Silk Fountain (0 Likes)
 Go to page 1~2~3~4 [Next]
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.02 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL