The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Acrobatic Knot (1 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

alcorm1
View Profile
New user
Lancaster NH
64 Posts

Profile of alcorm1
I recently purchased Daryls acrobatic knot routine at his lecture last month at SAMCON. The one I purchased though was packaged as the jumping knot of pakistan and only came with written directions. I know the routine is shown on the DVD that comes with the acrobatic knot and also Vol 3 of his rope magic. My questions is if anyone knows if the actual knot that is used, is explained anywhere other than the directions that came with the rope. The "jkop" only comes with written directions and the handling of the rope is not very well illustrated. I may end up having to purchase the Vol 3 DVD, but was hoping someone might be able to steer me in the direction of a written/illustrted explanation of the knot. Thanks
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
I've emailed Daryl, and always found him to be accommodating to a special request. When I purchased my "acrobatic knot" from him it came with the gimmick ****, and a DVD of Daryl himseld teaching the routine.

Who was it that sold you this trick?
Al Angello
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
alcorm1
View Profile
New user
Lancaster NH
64 Posts

Profile of alcorm1
I bought it from Daryl himself after his lecture. But what I bought was the rope packaged as the jumping knot of pakistan, not the acrobatic knot. He said that he renamed the effect after 9-11, and these were some he had left over that went for about half the cost, compared to the acrobatic knot packaged with the DVD. This one only came with written instructions. The instructions are fine but the illustrations showing how to actually tie the knot are less than spectacular. I was just looking for another source that may show how to tie the knot more clearly.

Al
John Long
View Profile
Inner circle
New Jersey
2826 Posts

Profile of John Long
Daryl's routine is also in v3 of his Rope magic DVD set. I don't remember anything particularly difficult about it, but I also haven't tried it - I don't have the special rope. (which seemed rather expensive)
Breathtaking Magic;
Not Breath Taking
Ron Reid
View Profile
Inner circle
Phoenix, Arizona
2733 Posts

Profile of Ron Reid
Hi alcorm1:

I think you may have to get the DVD on this one. I'll bet Daryl will the Acrobatic Knot DVD to you at a reduced price. It's worth buying as it clears up a lot of the handling.

Another otion is to check ebay. You can probably get the videotape of Volume 3 of his rope series for about $5.00 or so.

Ron
The Funny Titan
View Profile
New user
52 Posts

Profile of The Funny Titan
You can get the Acrobatic Knot DVD on his website I think for a cheaper price and not have to worry about paying the higher price for the Vol. 3 DVD.
Mediocre the Great
View Profile
Inner circle
Rich Hurley
1062 Posts

Profile of Mediocre the Great
Emailing Daryl is a great idea but I don't think I'm giving too much away to tell you that he references the "hunter bow knot" and a "slip knot" in his DVD. I'm sure you can search the literature for more info on these knots.

Good luck. I've found this to be a very good routine.
Mediocrity is greatly under rated!
--------------------------------------------

Rich Hurley aka Mediocre The Great!
www.RichHurleyMagic.com
Alan Munro
View Profile
Inner circle
Kentwood, Michigan, USA
5952 Posts

Profile of Alan Munro
Why not just buy an Acrobatic Knot? Assuming that you'll be performing the effect, regularly, you may as well have a backup, for when the prop is worn out. The DVD that comes with it make learning the effect really easy. I learned it from the written instructions, but the DVD that comes with the new ones is much better.
RicHeka
View Profile
Inner circle
3999 Posts

Profile of RicHeka
I just retired my much used 'Jumping Knot of Pakistan' set that I probably purchased 15 years ago. They were the semi-hand knitted ropes.

I just purchased and received the 'Acrobatic Knot' set, and let me tell you the quality of these machine knitted ropes is Awesome.

Much tighter knit,thicker and longer.They feel luxurious,and handle beautifully. Really nice!

Rich
Andre Hagen
View Profile
Inner circle
1432 Posts

Profile of Andre Hagen
Quote:
On 2007-01-24 22:06, Mediocre the Great wrote:
Emailing Daryl is a great idea but I don't think I'm giving too much away to tell you that he references the "hunter bow knot" and a "slip knot" in his DVD. I'm sure you can search the literature for more info on these knots.

I believe originally it was a Figure-Eight knot and a Slip Knot.

Andy
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one - Albert Einstein
fbnc
View Profile
Loyal user
Memphis
227 Posts

Profile of fbnc
Quote:
On 2006-12-29 22:49, John Long wrote:
Daryl's routine is also in v3 of his Rope magic DVD set.

Probably your best bet is the dvd. You'll get his handling of the jumping knot and so much more from this dvd. You may be able to find a used copy at themagicwarehouse.com
or here on the Café if you have 50 or more posts to enter the for sale section.
Al Angello
View Profile
Eternal Order
Collegeville, Pa. USA
11045 Posts

Profile of Al Angello
The "Hull vanishing knot" the "Figure 8 knot", and the "Hunter bow knot" can be used, but it all depends on the length of the white part of the red rope. Asking Daryl won't work because in his DVD set he uses one knot, and on the DVD that comes with the trick he uses another, so you must use your own imagination on this one.
Al Angello The Comic Juggler/Magician
http://www.juggleral.com
http://home.comcast.net/~juggleral/
"Footprints on your ceiling are almost gone"
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
I bouught the acrobatic knot from a magic shop in uk with a download . I would like to know whats the length of the original knitted ropes. As I think mine are short and lightly knitted. I may have to buy the original. Well it was in lockdown last year. And still not working. magicwalsh@gmail.com
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Mar 22, 2021, wally wrote:
I bouught the acrobatic knot from a magic shop in uk with a download . I would like to know whats the length of the original knitted ropes. As I think mine are short and lightly knitted. I may have to buy the original. Well it was in lockdown last year. And still not working. magicwalsh@gmail.com

was it Daryl's routine? Please tell me it was at least not the Daryl explanation?
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally
Yes daryls routine explained by another guy. Bought it from mission magic.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Is the routine not copyright to Daryl? I guess they may well have had permission to teach it. It seems strange to me that's all. But I had a look at their site they sell a lot from DiFatta magic who don't seem to mind "borrowing" ideas from other creators case in point Burglar Ball (https://difattamagic.com/burglar-ball.html) and locked deck- they call it Houdini Deck (https://difattamagic.com/catalog/product/view/id/13660/s/the-houdini-deck/?q=%20). They may well have a their own methods for these and they may well have added something new. I don't have either of these from them so cant say. But I do have what I think are the originals of both of those.

Seems a bit suspect to me. Like I said they may well have permission. Who knows.
dave_matkin
View Profile
Inner circle
4522 Posts

Profile of dave_matkin
Quote:
On Mar 24, 2021, wally wrote:
Yes daryls routine explained by another guy. Bought it from mission magic.

Did they credit Daryl and did they say if they had permission to explain his routine? I know Daryl passed away but his legacy and magic company still live on.
wally
View Profile
Inner circle
1830 Posts

Profile of wally

I really would like it made of rope. But will consider knitted.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Knots and loops » » Acrobatic Knot (1 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.03 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL