The Magic Café
Username:
Password:
[ Lost Password ]
  [ Forgot Username ]
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Juggling cups (0 Likes) Printer Friendly Version

scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
I posted this question in the juggling forum, but no answer yet.

before I do my cups & balls I want to juggle the cups like shaker cups. I have aluminum cups and they get dings and dents from juggling.

does anyone else do this?

are there any really tough cups that could take juggling?

I've never actually handled juggling cups, does anyone know if they would work for C&B (attic space and all that).

thanks.
Bill Palmer
View Profile
Eternal Order
Only Jonathan Townsend has more than
24315 Posts

Profile of Bill Palmer
This has come up before. Try this link
http://www.themagiccafe.com/forums/viewt......orum=115

The only cups I would do this with would be the van Dokkum stainless steel cups. They are almost indestructible.

If you have a question about juggling cups, per se, you might want to check one of the companies that sells them.
"The Swatter"

Founder of CODBAMMC

My Chickasaw name is "Throws Money at Cups."

www.cupsandballsmuseum.com
carbone1853
View Profile
Loyal user
RI USA
239 Posts

Profile of carbone1853
The people I talked to who do a shaker cup rts do not expect them to last more than one or two years.

No, cups including the official ones will not stand up to a shaker cup rts without some dings and scratches. Remember if you’re juggling your dropping.

Most shaker cups I’ve seen have weights on the bottom and spacers on the inside that would make a cups and balls rt difficult.

Chris
Dannydoyle
View Profile
Eternal Order
21245 Posts

Profile of Dannydoyle
When you juggle them and catch them seated, they will ding the edges. ESPECIALLY at the beginning.

I use shaker cups behind the bar all the time. Yep it works. You need good ones. Heavy bottoms as possible.

Wide mouths won't hurt either.

There are MANY bar supply places online which have supplies for "flair bartenders" which will give you the cups you need.
Danny Doyle
<BR>Semper Occultus
<BR>In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act....George Orwell
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
I would guess the Celini cups would be the closest to the right shape and weight. You may need to add weight to the insides as well (maybe lead pouted in?)
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
plungerman
View Profile
Loyal user
287 Posts

Profile of plungerman
Real (?) juggling cups can be got from (Brian) Dube' and other juggling suppliers. These are shaker cups. Very tall and pointy by C&B standards. Most often they have steel washers screwed down to the inside bottoms to give them a chance to turn once they are thrown.

The washer weights also serve to keep the cups from nesting, as in locking, at all, vital if your expecting to toss one or two and expect them to go where you plan.

What you could do is get a set of heavy cups, such as Johnson's, and wear them out practising. Bash them to bits while you learn what's needed. By the time they are no longer cups you will be ready to start a new set and look good doing it.

Also, you don't have to risk damaging the cup till you gain some skill. The catching cup should be held with the fingers and thumb above the rim to stop and catch the incoming cup as it lands. That, or paint some tool rubber onto the rims of your cups till you don't miss.

A set of P&L style would work well. You could add weight to them by gluing a coil of wire to the inside bottom. That would not interfere with the attic much.

Plungerman
kenjones
View Profile
New user
San Antonio, TX
11 Posts

Profile of kenjones
RNT2 makes a heavy, almost Hozinzer style cups called the Pheonix. They are very heavy and already have a worn, old style look, so if you drop them it would be no big deal. I do not juggle, but I do a lot of tossing moves with my Johnson Cups. They are a great weight and balance but they do damage when I drop them.
Have something to say in your magic. It is rare, interesting and your audiences will thank you for it.
Pete Biro
View Profile
1933 - 2018
18558 Posts

Profile of Pete Biro
Don't mess around... get the real juggling cups and adapt the c&b routine to work with them.
STAY TOONED... @ www.pete-biro.com
scaress
View Profile
Veteran user
salt lake city
337 Posts

Profile of scaress
thanks for the advice everyone. think that I'll try all the suggestions over the next few months. I'll let you know (if)when I get good.
The Magic Cafe Forum Index » » Ever so sleightly » » Juggling cups (0 Likes)
[ Top of Page ]
All content & postings Copyright © 2001-2024 Steve Brooks. All Rights Reserved.
This page was created in 0.01 seconds requiring 5 database queries.
The views and comments expressed on The Magic Café
are not necessarily those of The Magic Café, Steve Brooks, or Steve Brooks Magic.
> Privacy Statement <

ROTFL Billions and billions served! ROTFL